Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 401-403 Greenwich St (TriBeCa) - 1st Ever Glass-Brick bldg - by Joseph Pell Lombardi

Londonlawyer: do you understand true chic? I can't believe that aesthetically informed, urban savvy lovers of Tribeca would not appreciate that small building or consider it an eyesore in it's context.... or want to see it go along with everything else of it's type.

No, Tribeca is not Kensington... it is not one of the most elegant areas of the city.

-------

I love fine things and prefer to be around beauty too.... but I'm not much into luxury. Luxury is easy. Even dummies can understand it. What makes Tribeca cool is that it's not the 8th Arrondissement. It's wealth is presented in another way. You wipe out all this stuff and yes, Tribeca will acquire the hard brittle elegance of Paris... but I don't think that's what we want here.

--
    Last edited by Fabrizio; May 10th, 2009 at 05:39 PM.

Fabrizio,

I don't think that you and I have similar thoughts about what's fashionable and/or chic, just as I don't share the views espoused by Carson Cressley and the Fab 5. (I do respect yours and others' views, however.)

Anyway, Tribeca is every bit as beautiful as South Kensington or the 8th Arrondisement. However, I believe that some structures, that in my view, are unappealing should be removed.

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer View Post
    I respect your opinion. You and Zippy have a very New York perspective which is less concerned about aesthetics than about maintaining housing for the middle class and poor, restaurants that offer moderately priced food, etc. That is admirable. However, part of the reason that I vastly prefer London is that the Brits prize aesthetics and raze unattractive, post WWII buildings without worrying that low-end shops will be replaced by expensive ones. I can understand those who disagree with that perspective. I'm simply not one of them. Too much of NY is incredibly ugly and could withstand a makeover. New Yorkers just don't seem to regard that as a priority. Fair enough.
    I agree with most of this except the London part. Most of London is beyond ugly, but I do love the city's appreciation for aesthetics and their initiative to tear down ugly-as-sin buildings.

New York should definitely take note.

This Glass Atelier plan is dead. Architect Morris Adjmi presented a new proposal today at the Landmarks Committee of Community Board 1: A strong facade of gridded metal, large windows -- all very minimal, simple and terrific looking. The plan goes before the Landmarks Preservation Commission on September 27th.

I'm glad they dropped the glass-block design.

I hope the aluminum-brick 71 Laight St goes forward.

From what I've heard 71 Laight is still a possibility, but it's definitely on hold for now.

I noticed at the time this thread and memorial thread were both next to each other. Best guess is Daq accidentally clicked this thread and posted before noticing he was in the wrong thread.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234