Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Yankee game - Yankees tickets

Default Yankee game - Yankees tickets

Post your questions about attending a Yankee Game here.
    Last edited by NYatKNIGHT; March 5th, 2009 at 11:46 AM.

Default Subway to Yankee Stadium

Hello.
    I grew up in New York, but moved away several years ago.
    I come back to visit every three months or so, but only recently started taking the subways.

I'm going to be taking the subway from Grand Central to Yankee Stadium for an evening game next month.

My question is this... Should this be relatively safe? I go all over the place. I don't worry, but I'd like to know what to expect. I figure on game nights the trains should be full of ticketholders, but I also know the area around the stadium isn't the greatest.

It doesn't seem very realistic to use any other mode of transportation from midtown Manhattan. Any information would be very helpful.

Forum Veteran

The subway will be pretty safe, particularly because of the influx of riders to the stadium. The neighborhood's a lot better than it was in the early 90s and whatnot, but stick with the crowds if you're uncertain.

Thanks. From what I remember since I did go to games in the 80's (although never by subway), the train lets you off pretty much right at the stadium. Am I correct? If that's the case I won't be wandering around the neighborhood. I'll have my ticket in hand and I'll head right for the gate. As for the ride to the stadium itself, I'll just do my best to blend in knowing now that there should be plenty of people going to the same place as me. Thanks again.

Enjoy the game

Slater, not to worry, you'll be fine. The subway is full of fans of all ages excited to see the game. It drops you off on an elevated platform right next to the stadium. You can either go directly into the stadium or grab a beer at one of the sports bars under the subway tracks, like Stan's Sports Bar (the beers inside are ridiculously expensive). The area around the stadium is quite safe now and pretty festive.

Thank you everyone for the replies!
    I'm really getting excited about going back to Yankee Stadium again. First time I'll be back in about 20 years.
    And first time ever by subway, but thanks to your help my mind is at ease.

Forum Veteran

Glad we could help :wink:

Enjoy the game!

Default Advice for going to see Yankees

I'm going to NY at the start of July and there are 2 games on while I'm there Detroit and Tampa Bay, I am looking to go to the Detroit game.

I was going to buy some tickets online as I really want to see a ball game, but do you think that tickets will still be available on the day or while I'm there? (Is there a panic for tickets? I don't want it to sell out!)

Also I have read about the Yankee Clipper which takes you to the game is this a worthwhile way of getting to the game, I imagine its quite an experience, any better ways of getting to the game?

Any advice on travelling to the game and ticketing would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

PS I think you will be hearing a lot from me as I have so many questions about so many things that I want to do during my stay!

Detroit and Tampa Bay don't usually sell out, but it's summertime and the week of Fourth of July - kids are off from school and a vacation week. While there will probably be seats available at the gate on game day, they won't be as good as what's available now.

Tip: If you have a choice between seats at field level in the outfield, and third tier behind home plate, take the seats behind the plate (dark purple on the map). They are high up, but a better view of the game - and the stadium.

The Yankee Clipper is a good choice for sightseeing on the East River. Information at http://www.nywaterway.com/

Thats great cheers, I've noticed the bleachers are really cheap, is the view from these seats really rubbish?

Quote Originally Posted by KingPacino
    Thats great cheers, I've noticed the bleachers are really cheap, is the view from these seats really rubbish?
    The view from the bleachers isn't too bad. The best part about the bleachers is the atmosphere, i.e. the bleacher creature roll calls and other assorted chants and the clockwork like rumbling of the 4 train behind you.

I'm taking my girlfriend so would you recommend the bleachers or pay that bit extra for some seats in the purple tier seats behind the plate as suggested?

Any tips or things I should know before going to the game?

Thanks for any help

The bleacher seats (especially in right field) are as good as the more expensive outfield box seats.

Safety is not an issue anywhere in the stadium. The "Bronx Zoo" of the 1970s is long gone. The bleachers, and a few other sections, are alcohol-free zones.

I suppose the one negative of the bleachers to a first-time visitor, is that there is no access to the rest of the stadium. If you choose the more expensive seats, get there early for batting practice (gates open 1 1/2 hours prior to gametime). Depending on the crowd situation, you may be allowed to wander near the infield - maybe say hello to a player.

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/NASAp...x.jsp?c_id=nyy

Brilliant thanks for everyones help, I'll have to decide between the 2 areas, can't wait (even though I know virtually nothing about baseball!)

Cheers

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast