Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Avalon Fort Greene - 159 Myrtle Ave @ Flatbush Avenue - Rental - by Perkins Eastman

Quote Originally Posted by Stroika View Post
    Roldan, will have to agree to disagree as I would absolutely love to see Avalon go belly up. This thing (like all Avalons) is Cabrini Green for the rich. Avalon more than almost anyone else would see their destruction of the city upended by zoning laws that apply to width, rather than height. Until then, they'll continue to build 40-story landscrapers across 10 contiguous, assembled plots and under the maxim: build it as cheaply as possible, rent it out as expensive as possible.
    I mean, it's ok that you are not looking forward to their dominance, but someone has to build these buildings. They won't be expensive forever, only while they're new. Based on the level at which they are building these buildings at, they will make solid midlevel stock not 20 years from now. It's something not nearly enough groups are building right now, or even in the recent past. Buildings are not unlike consumer electronics. They come out at a premium price for some time, and then slowly but surely fade. It wasn't 100 years ago when Washington Heights, where I live, was a playground for the rich. Our building was only 18 units (it's now 60). Someone has to be building something new, or the entire stock is aging without being refreshed. I mean, are these buildings wider than they should be? I don't know. I do not find either of the LIC towers to be particularly wide, and the Bowery development is large, but not some kind of sun blocking monster. Based on the site of the coming avalon willoughby, I suspect it will be a more classically styled square podium with a squarer tower on top as well. I just don't know. What, exactly, is the problem with rich people? Additionally, if you and your other half each make 50k a year, you can afford a unit in an avalon building. I agree that such an income is richer than the average, but it is nowhere near rich by NYC standards, and as I said, they have spectacular amenities.

Suffice to say, I'm sorry to hear you want to see someone fail at what they are doing, but I understand your dislike of the buildings in general. I think in the long run, though, they will be useful additions to the neighborhoods in which they are built.

Banned Member

I temd to agree with you. Rent Stabilization expires when rents reach $2,000. It really won't be around too much longer. As these apartments are aded to the market, the whole city becomes free market. Housing is still a valuable commodity, but middle income ("affordable") housing is the real growth market. Personally, I love New York, but I think I would consider any option that might take me to another less expensive part of the country.

Forum Veteran

10/05/11

Not sure what's going on here but it really doesn't affect the overall ugliness

I wonder how people with that giant rental sign over their windows feel.

Forum Veteran

The one on the other side is bigger.

Hmmm, sterilization panels right outside the window as the new urban standard?

I don't know, having good 3G reception is, as far as I'm concerned, way better than having children. It's also somewhat cheaper.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345