Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lay Offs...

Banned Member

Default Lay Offs...

Hey-

I got laid off from my job today. Thankfully, I am heading to Curacao in the morning for a week long sunny vacation.

Has anyone else been laid off lately? Just wondering how the Great Depression of 2006 is hitting everyone else.

Haven't been laid off, but thats cause I never had a job to begin with, been looking for 3 months and have foud NOTHING. College graduate and all.

Sorry to hear about you being laid off.

^^Hey man, sorry to hear that. I was laid off once (from my first real job) and just considered it as one long-ass vacation. I had been working/going to school without more than a week off at a time since Junior High summer vacation so the extended time off was a welcomed rest. Woke up late, watched TV, one thing I did lots of was spend time on the internet and consiquently I discovered this website....

Nonetheless enjoy Curacao!

Hey BR, I'm really sorry to hear that.

The consequences of the disgusting greed that's caused all this are far-reaching.

Some employees where I work, including me, have had their hours reduced. Most of our clients are cutting costs and it's hitting us significantly.

It's all happened so fast.

I hope you have a wonderful vacation, BR. All the best on the job front when you return. Keep us posted.

Bad luck with the job BR.

Hope you bounce back quickly.

In the meantime, enjoy your vacation.

Curacao.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

My income dropped 17K last year from the prior year. I am currently working a three day week for the time being.

Sorry to hear BR, enjoy that beautiful vacation!

Unhappy

Sorry to hear BR. Most of my friends who have just graduated are being laid off too. I recently got my hours cut to 4 days a week.

The craigslist arch/engineering job posting section has been really skimpy lately. A year or two ago there would be 50+ postings a day, now there are never more than 10.

Anyways, enjoy your vacation, everything will be back to normal when you get back.

Sorry to hear about the layoff BR. I hope all the best.

I got laid off back in January and have been surviving off of odd jobs, money from band gigs and, most recently, birthday cash (it was my 26th yesterday). I have a really good job prospect on my plate, but any income from that is still a month off...

Sorry to hear it, BR. I have been out for longer than I care to post on this forum. Best advise I can give you is to enjoy your vacation, stay in contact with your friends and develop a support group of people undergoing similar circumstances. It is important to keep your spirits high and to look forward not back. You're a smart guy, and lord knows a survivor. You'll be ok.

I'm so sorry to hear that BR. It's just another step... you'll get through this!

Take care and definitely enjoy your vacation!

This week has been horrible. Since my last post, 4 people where I work have been retrenched. I could very well have been one of them, even though I've worked there longer than most. I'm very lucky -- for now. Fingers crossed.

Some of my employer's clients are being very short-sighted IMO. They're slashing costs now, but it's going to come back and bite them. In the industry I work in at least, deferred work will need to be done eventually and, no doubt, in a panicked rush. People lost will only have to be re-employed or replaced. We're going to get stressed out all over again, but for a different reason. I know what it's like to be retrenched so I won't be complaining about that after this horrible week, though.

Banned Member

Hi All-

I'm back from vacation. Although I'm not about to blow my cover here on WNY, the photo below is indeed me at Cas Abou in Curacao. That is how I spent my vacation. Overall, not too shabby.

At the urging of some co-workers, I've begun a blog that will last the duration of this break from the tedium of employment. I am now...

THE VOICE OF UNEMPLOYED AMERICA

Check in daily for insights, idiotic rants, musings on musings, and massive philosophical contradictions. What have I go to to lose? My job? My dignity? The job is already gone. Let's see how long I can hold onto dignity...

http://vofua.blogspot.com/

Maybe I will sign up/log in later, but here is what I was going to post (blog comment)......

Anonymously!

I guess it all depends on where you are coming from.

Being laid off can be both a good and a bad thing. Obviously it ruins your security, and if you have other obligations (such as children) you don't exactly have the option of just saying "scr3w it!!" and becoming a (true) beachcomber or a bicycle repairman.....

They just don't have good health care plans!

But the good part is that it just may be the bump in the road that gets you to look at things again and see if the path you were on was one that you could stand for the next 20-30 years.

It also made it so that LOOKING for a job at that age is not as much of a stigma ("So tell me, you are 45, why are you looking for a job nmow? After all, you have only HALF your working life left and 20 years is just not enough time to learn something new!"[/sarcasm]).

I just hope that whatever comes to pass does not fall on the backs of those whose own survival not only excludes the survival of others, but tries to capitalize on their misfortune.

We shall see!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast