Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Upper East Side

Quote Originally Posted by MidtownGuy View Post
    The Friends of the Upper East Side Historic Districts was split in its opinion. Although some found it “a magnificent new building, in keeping with the Upper East Side’s varied architectural heritage of the last century,” the group wrote, “others were frankly horrified at such an ersatz historical building proposed for the 21st century.”

I don't even know where to begin with that kind of thinking.
    Zeitgeist theory.

Quote Originally Posted by MidtownGuy View Post
    From the Times article:
    The Friends of the Upper East Side Historic Districts was split in its opinion. Although some found it “a magnificent new building, in keeping with the Upper East Side’s varied architectural heritage of the last century,” the group wrote, “others were frankly horrified at such an ersatz historical building proposed for the 21st century.”
    I don't even know where to begin with that kind of thinking.
    Those people are sick. No two ways about it. Schizophrenia with a touch of Perrier progressivism.

Arrow

Here is an somewhat more recent picture of the site found on www.artnet.com . I gather from the url that it was taken on august 4th. There is in fact some progress visible in the form of the heavy metal scaffolding and black tarp that cover the townhome next to the site. It's renovation is part of this ralph lauren project.

Default 133 East 64th Street

If a Building Could Blush

By CHRISTOPHER GRAY

:

More Photos >

YOU’D think someone controlling billions of dollars in assets would live on Park or even Fifth Avenue. But Lexington Avenue is a street of surprises, including Bernard Madoff’s former apartment house at the corner of East 64th Street, built in 1927 for a Social Register crowd that eschewed the typical well-to-do East Side address for an old shoe life in the slow lane.

Compared with the prestige of Fifth, Madison and Park, Lexington above 59th is a sort of hand-me-down address, with altered brownstones and midgrade apartment houses, in keeping with its lower rung on the social ladder.

But in the 1920s, a rump group of well-to-do Upper East Siders lit out for Lexington, and a modest crop of truly luxury buildings sprouted in the otherwise middling soil of this unassuming street. These typically had one or two apartments of 10 or 13 rooms per floor, as does Mr. Madoff’s old building, 133 East 64th Street. Most developers of a typical 100-foot-by-100-foot corner lot would have squeezed in at least four units.

The architect of No. 133 was Kenneth Murchison, a Beaux-Arts bon vivant, who had already designed Emily Post’s co-op at 79th and Madison, a project that she initiated with a few friends. It is hard to tell if No. 133 was also built by a group of acquaintances instead of a developer, but it’s in a tasteful and unshowy neo-Classic style, with Greek-inspired window frames, attenuated pilasters and a Vitruvian wave in limestone above the delicate storefronts.

Apartments sold for $28,000 to $52,000, the higher price perhaps referring to the pair of duplexes at the top, which split the 11th floor and roof level between them — essentially full-floor apartments. A 1927 advertisement in The New York Times gives an idea of the target market: “Before you decide where you will live this winter — before you move in from the country — come take a look at this new 100 percent cooperative apartment.”

In a 1928 article in Arts & Decoration, Mr. Murchison said that a key advantage of a co-op was that the shareholders could “weed out undesirables and keep the social status of the house up to where it belongs.”

That was certainly crucial in Mrs. Post’s building, she being the author of the ur-etiquette book and a member of the Tuxedo Park gentry.

Early purchasers at No. 133 were of the same social class, members of clubs like the Union, Colony, Racquet and Century; half were listed in the Social Register. One was Schuyler Schieffelin, associated with a drug business founded by his ancestors in 1794. A member of the Society of Colonial Wars, the St. Nicholas Society and other old-family organizations, he was well up in the social pecking order, and had the best apartment in the building, the south-facing penthouse duplex.

According to his granddaughter Julia Schieffelin, he and his wife took the 17-room duplex for their two children, four servants, and his wife’s mother, Mrs. Charles Cooper. “They were very close; it was a three-way marriage,” Ms. Schieffelin said.

It is possible that the Schieffelin family was involved with not only the planning of their own unusually large apartment, but also the building project itself. Certainly, they knew Mrs. Post and her co-op; Mrs. Schieffelin’s family had a house in Tuxedo Park.

The plans for the Schieffelin apartment have not survived, but old photographs show a living room leading on to the terrace with arched French doors; a large, half-round stair hall; and a tile-floored breakfast room with Majolica-style plates on the wall and Italian Renaissance-style furniture. These opened onto a broad south-facing terrace with a fountain, salvaged antique columns and, in 1929, sweeping south views to the Chrysler Building under construction.

Judging by recent photographs of the apartment, the architecture of the principal rooms is little different; just the fireplace and some panel moldings have been lost.

The Times reported in 1940 that the place had cost $100,000 in all, apparently with furnishings, a lot for Lexington Avenue. Ms. Schieffelin said her grandfather “wasn’t concerned about cutting a fine figure,” and indeed the family gave up their Tuxedo Park connections to build a house in Monroe, N.Y.

Mr. and Mrs. Schieffelin died in the 1930s and the lower floor of their apartment was split in two, leaving a duplex with fewer rooms on the floor below. That duplex was purchased by Mr. Madoff and his wife, Ruth, around 1984.
    Seized by federal marshals in July, it is now listed with Sotheby’s International Realty for $9.9 million. The sale will benefit victims of Mr. Madoff’s $65 billion Ponzi scheme.

Howard R. Goldin was the architect for the Madoffs’ 1984 renovation, and says the original decorator was Angelo Donghia. Mr. Goldin described it as “a small job, a greenhouse extension and some bathroom and closet changes.”

He said some clients were so prominent that he was asked not to list their names on the building permit, but the Madoffs had no such worries at the time.

As the clients were not demanding, and paid promptly, “it went without a hitch,” Mr. Goldin remembered. He did not recall that the Madoffs had been his clients until recently, and doesn’t believe that he ever met Mr. Madoff.
    “But when I saw his wife’s picture in the paper, I thought she looked familiar,” he said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/20/re.../20scapes.html

Upper East Side (mostly) real estate craziness. Very nice group of buildings on East 94th.

Top This, Neighbor!

By JOSH BARBANEL

September 18th, 2009

3 East 94th Street

SINCE the bankruptcy of Lehman Brothers a year ago, the developer Aby Rosen has repeatedly cut the asking price on a newly renovated town house at 3 East 94th Street, by nearly 20 percent, to $23.75 million from $29.5 million.

With its 50-foot indoor pool, whirlpool bath, sauna, 1,000-bottle temperature-controlled wine cellar and seven wood-burning fireplaces, it seemed perfect for a newly minted baron of finance, but the species was suddenly in short supply.

However, late last month, just before the start of the fall selling season and the promise of a new wave of Wall Street bonuses, the town house’s price was bumped up by $1 million to $24.75 million. The jump is part of a boomlet of optimism that is rippling through the luxury real estate market, after a forgettable year of decline and gloom.

Mr. Rosen is one of a number of sellers of expensive properties who, contrary to conventional wisdom, have begun to toy with higher asking prices, despite declining prices elsewhere in the marketplace.

Over the summer, Michael Lemos, the heir to a Greek shipping fortune, raised the asking price on his fifth-floor 14-room full-floor co-op at 2 East 67th Street and Fifth Avenue to $45 million, in what may be a game of one-upmanship.

Mr. Lemos first listed the apartment for a mere $33.9 million in April 2008. But he raised his asking price a few months later to $39.5 million, after Jonathan Tisch, the chairman of Loews Hotels, bought an apartment on the 11th floor of the co-op for $48 million, setting a record at the time for the highest priced co-op.

Then, last June, Athanase Lavidas, the head of a Greek pharmaceutical company, listed his third-floor apartment in the building for $43 million, and Mr. Lemos responded by tacking another $5.5 million onto his asking price.

“The seller feels that $45 million is appropriate,” said Dolly Lenz, the broker for Mr. Lemos’s co-op. But she noted that Mr. Lemos’s fifth-floor apartment, unlike its third-floor competitor, is “at the treetop level or above,” and that like Mr. Tisch’s apartment, it has large picture windows facing Central Park that could no longer be installed because of landmark rules.

At 502 Park Avenue, Sheikh Abdul Aziz al-Thani of Qatar listed his fourth-floor apartment last year for $14 million and then cut it to $10 million in February in the gloomy market. At the end of July, he raised the price back up to $14 million. Carrie Chiang of the Corcoran Group, who is listing the property, did not return several telephone calls.

Asked about Mr. Rosen’s price increase, one broker said it had begun as a typographical error. But Kirk Henckels, the director of private brokerage at Stribling, who has the listing, said that the increase had been prompted in part by a recent deal close to the previous $23.75 million asking price that fell through.

“We are headed toward what could be a healthy market,” Mr. Henckels said, “but we are not there yet.”

Of course, action speaks louder than asking prices. A few weeks ago, a contract was signed for a 3,500-square-foot apartment on the 70th floor of 25 Columbus Circle, represented by Denise Rosner of Halstead Property. The asking price was $15.7 million, and per square foot, the unit was priced below some smaller lower-floor apartments.

“The price that we were asking was backed up by data,” she said. “If you price it right, they will come.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/20/re...ref=realestate

Slightly more down-market than ^ previous story.

Below, the A-List Dines. Upstairs, Rooms Go for $10 and Up

By A. G. SULZBERGER

The wood-paneled confines of J.G. Melon, a bar and restaurant on the corner of Third Avenue and 74th Street on the Upper East Side of Manhattan, always seem to be bustling. On barstools and at cloth-covered tables, patrons toss back glasses of Stella Artois, chomp on burgers and soak in the old-time charm of the place.

On many nights, a man who long ago lost the ability to speak sits at the bar. His name is Bernhardt Wichmann III, and he converses with other customers by scrawling his thoughts on scraps of paper. After a glass of wine, sometimes a salad or a bowl of chili, he retreats upstairs.

And when he does, he travels to a wholly different remnant of old New York. There, 29 rooms no bigger than the walk-in closets in the homes of some of the revelers below form one of the last single-room occupancy residences left in this prestigious ZIP code.

Mr. Wichmann, 76, pays $10 a day for the room he has lived in since 1991 — “the best deal in New York,” he writes.

The four floors above the restaurant are occupied by young newcomers to city life and elderly residents on fixed incomes who share the dingy communal bathrooms down the hallways. The closest thing to a kitchen is the odor of pub food that sometimes wafts up through the floorboards.

It was not so long ago when single-room occupancy buildings like these — known as S.R.O.’s in bureaucratese and flophouses in an older parlance — lined Third Avenue as it ran through the Upper East Side. These bare-bones housing units for the working poor were usually stacked above the watering holes where they socialized.

Now they seem as distant a memory as the elevated train line that rattled past their windows a half century ago.

“When I saw it I thought it was terrible,” said a tenant who introduced herself only as Mary and said she took a room shortly after arriving from Ireland 35 years ago. “I didn’t want anyone to know I was here because I had always lived in private homes. I took it for a month or maybe six months. Then time went on and I got accustomed to it.”

Mary, 84, added, “I wouldn’t leave for anything.”

Melon’s, as locals call it, opened in 1972 and has made a niche for itself partly by accentuating its tie to that older era, saying, for example, that it has the oldest wait staff in the city. That simple pub atmosphere has drawn in an A-list clientele.

“Every sitting mayor, every sitting governor, every sitting senator has been here since we opened,” said Shaun Young, one of the owners, who then rattled off a list of actors, athletes and socialites who have visited as well.

Upstairs, though, with the neon glow of the J. G. Melon sign flooding in through the window, the feeling of stepping back in time is not the result of clever marketing. S.R.O.’s have been dwindling in New York for decades.

There are now about 35,000 S.R.O. units — legally defined as a rental unit that lacks a kitchen and a bathroom — left in the city, down from about 50,000 15 years ago, according to city estimates, and less than a fifth of the amount in the 1970s.

The numbers have declined most sharply in high-end neighborhoods like the Upper West Side and Upper East Side, where booming real estate markets gave owners a huge incentive to push out low-income tenants.

“At this point it really is a handful,” said Anne R. Teicher, chief executive of the Neighborhood Coalition for Shelter, who formerly ran the East Side S.R.O. Legal Services Project. “It’s a very important housing resource.

Some people just need a reasonably priced place to live, which doesn’t really exist any more, especially on the Upper East Side, probably anywhere in Manhattan and increasingly in the outer boroughs.”

The five-story building was purchased by John Ilibassi and his partners in 1999. Mr. Ilibassi said there were no plans to redevelop the property. He said the bulk of the rental income — “the big check” — came from Melon’s, not the tenants.

Tenants say the building’s residents have been trending younger, with students and young workers paying more than twice the rent of some of the oldest tenants for the privilege of living on their own in a neighborhood they could not otherwise afford. Elisa Smith, 28, who works at a nearby clothing shop, is among those.

She says the shared bathroom is “creepy” but her corner room is cleaner and larger than the bedbug-infested apartment she had lived in since arriving from California. Six months ago, she signed a two-year lease at $800 a month. “It’s on the Upper East Side. You can’t do better than that,” she said. “I’m not rich. I feel lucky to be here.”

Mr. Wichmann has lived in his musty corner unit on the third floor directly above Ms. Smith since March 1991, when he was told by a Melon’s waitress about an opening upstairs.

He lost the ability to speak in what he described as a botched surgery years ago and now writes on notebooks and scraps of paper, or mouths his words, which disappear in swallowed whispers. So when he writes that he has prostate cancer, he holds a hand up to signal patience, adding that it is in remission.

He has papered over his wall with photos snipped from newspapers. His possessions — old appliances, hand-me-down clothes, the many medicines keeping him alive, and a few treasured keepsakes — clutter every surface.

Mr. Wichmann is one of the few tenants who traverse the two worlds of this building. (Residents and restaurant-goers use separate entrances.) “I went to Melon’s even before I lived here,” he wrote one recent morning.

“Then I moved here and really got to know the bar.” Not too long ago Mr. Wichmann said he was sitting at the bar while Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg, a regular, enjoyed a meal.

“I don’t know anything about up there. Except Ben,” said Hope Kostmayer, a waitress at Melon’s for 33 years, referring to Mr. Wichmann.

Most tenants say that despite living above Melon’s for decades they have no idea what it looks like from the inside. One said it was too expensive.

Another said she heard it had the best burgers in town but had never gotten around to stopping by in more than 30 years. For Mary Walsh, a retired health care worker who pays $325 in monthly rent after 15 years in the building, the bar may not be a hangout, but it still provides a sense of reassurance.

“As long as they’re here,” she said, “I guess we’re safe.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/19/ny...l?ref=nyregion

^ Amazing story.

You sure keep this forum interesting, Merry. I look forward to my daily slice of life.

The Ralph Lauren project, yesterday:

Fantastic. I hadn't been by in a few months and didn't realize this thing was moving. Thank God the UES perverts who found Beaux-Arts to be 'anachronistic' weren't taken seriously. I'm sure they themselves will be quite relieved that's the case as well.

Gracie Mansion

Readying for LaGuardia, January 1942

Archibald Gracie, the prosperous shipping magnate and distinguished civic pillar and co-founder with his chum Alexander Hamilton of the New York Evening Post, had a fine view of Hell Gate from the big country house he built on an East River promontory a day's ride up from South St., and the mansion was a center of federal New York's social life of the early 19th century until Gracie's fortunes turned and he had to sell it off. A succession of subsequent wealthy owners all went broke in turn as well and Gracie Mansion was passed down from family to family until, by the 1920s, having somehow escaped the wrecking ball that had knocked down much of everything else in what was now the East 80s and 90s, it was in the hands of the city's Parks Commission, chiefly in use as a storage shed for lawnmowers and such.

And then, late in the 1930s, the Board of Estimate decided that Mayor of the City of New York was an office of such stature that its holders deserved an Official Residence no less than did the President of the United States. Fiorello LaGuardia, for his part, wasn't all that keen on the idea, but in the spring of 1942 he reluctantly agreed to move his family into their new digs for the sake of municipal appearances. William O'Dwyer, perfectly happy in Brooklyn, wanted to live there even less, and basically he had to be dragged into Gracie Mansion kicking and screaming. Notwithstanding longtime cries from critics that the place is a useless drain on the budget, it remains the Mayor's House, if sometimes only nominally, and, much refurbished under Robert Wagner, John Lindsay and Edward Koch, Archibald Gracie's getaway cottage remains a good place to see Hell Gate from.

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/...#ixzz0VnJatU7f

Does anyone know if the commenters are correct regarding the location of this amazing 1959 view?

Last Brownstone Standing

I believe this is looking north at the buildings on 69th St between 2nd and 3rd. The 20 story building would be the one facing south on 68th St with a circular drive and pond.

PS That smaller brick building on the right facing the avenue is slated to be demolished for part of the 2nd Ave subway project.

I agree, it looks like the current site of 215 E 68th St. According to the architect it was built in 1962, so date-wise it makes sense.
    http://gothamist.com/2009/11/10/flas...e_standing.php

^ Apparently they were.

The streetscape across the road is gorgeous (pan):

215 East 68th Street
    Last edited by Merry; November 12th, 2009 at 06:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Merry View Post
    Does anyone know if the commenters are correct regarding the location of this amazing 1959 view?

Last Brownstone Standing

]
    What a f...ing crime. The 60's were not good to NY. I used to walk past here on occasion on my way to the subway and always wondered what gems were razed for this POS.

Living Along | Museum Mile

At the Intersection of Art and Nature

By C. J. HUGHES

Jewish Museum at 92nd Street

Madison Avenue at 110th Street

FIRST-RATE paintings, photos and films offer plenty of reasons to duck inside the nine cultural institutions lining Museum Mile, a narrow slice of Upper Manhattan fronting Central Park.

But on a warm Sunday afternoon, judging from the crowd near the Metropolitan Museum of Art, it seemed as if most residents of and visitors to the area, which cuts through Carnegie Hill and East Harlem, were outside.

Couples hauled shopping bags, two to a hand, past dozens of tables heaped with art-themed bric-à-brac, like Van Gogh self-portraits modified as magnets. Wide strollers stood wheel to wheel in a playground; their passengers were now busy scrambling up flat-top Mayan-style pyramids.

And hundreds sat rapt on the museum’s steps while a five-piece doo-wop group crooned Sam Cooke’s “Wonderful World,” as if bidding a last hurrah to fall.

On weekdays, a more subdued mood prevails along the well-scrubbed blocks, which have a reputation as beautiful and pricey. Passers-by are more accustomed to keeping company with the stone creatures crouching on the area’s castlelike buildings — the owls on the Ukrainian Institute of America on East 79th Street, say, or the cherubs at a converted condominium at 1200 Fifth Avenue.

Contrasts like these are a distinguishing feature of Museum Mile, said Ron Berger, an advertising executive, who in 2008 moved from a four-bedroom house in Passaic County, N.J., to a two-bedroom co-op.

The windows of his corner unit, which cost $2.995 million, at once reveal the natural tableau of Central Park, and the architecture of the former Vanderbilt mansion that is home to the Neue Galerie New York, a museum of German and Austrian art.

“You have this incredible building,” Mr. Berger said, “and when the leaves are down, you can also see lights coming through from cars on the park drive. It’s one of those great New York views.”

Not that the changes in scenery are always harmonious. The renovation of the Guggenheim Museum, at 88th Street, for example, drew complaints about its three-year duration.

Other museums have closed for extended periods while refurbishing, like El Museo del Barrio, on Fifth and 104th, which until October had been shut down for 17 months. Classroom trailers hog the yard of the Cooper-Hewitt museum, at 91st, while it expands, and Goethe-Institut New York, on Fifth at 83rd, will relocate to SoHo next month to allow for the installation of sprinklers.

The Mount Sinai Medical Center has generated controversy with its plan for a 258-unit rental tower at 4 102nd Street, because at 45 stories it will be the highest structure around, even surpassing the black hulk of the Annenberg Building at Fifth and 99th.

The new high-rise, being developed by Durst Fetner Residential, helps Mount Sinai finance a new wing. As part of the deal, the hospital, which did not return calls seeking comment, also sold Durst Fetner a prewar former rental at 1212 Fifth Avenue, which will house 63 condos, said Hal Fetner, the chief executive.

The address of 102nd and Fifth “doesn’t roll off people’s tongue now,” Mr. Fetner said, “but we’re trying to change that.”

There is lingering ill will over the deal, said Matthew Washington, the chairman-elect of Manhattan Community Board 11, which opposed it. Height isn’t the only objection, he said. There is also the fact that the building won’t include housing more affordable to middle- or lower-income residents.

That may not be an issue for the part of Museum Mile that runs through well-heeled Carnegie Hill, but in East Harlem, where the average annual income is $24,000, it’s a serious shortcoming, he added, underscoring perhaps Museum Mile’s most striking disparity.

As buildings are converted, “a lot of people are being displaced,” Mr. Washington said, “and we’re fighting to keep them here.”

WHAT YOU’LL FIND

Actually measuring about a mile and a half in length, the rectangular neighborhood, bound thematically by museums, is bound geographically by Fifth and Madison Avenues, and East 79th and East 110th Streets, with much of it protected by two landmark districts.

At the northern point sits the unfinished shell of the first museum to be built since the Guggenheim in 1959. (The Whitney opened in 1966 but is just south of Museum Mile.) Called the Museum for African Art, it will feature a three-level space topped by 116 condos. Its developer is Brickman; Robert A.M. Stern is the architect.

Though initially scheduled for a 2009 completion, the building is now to be finished in June, with the condos following next winter, said Roderick O’Connor, a Brickman principal.

Facing it is Arthur A. Schomburg Plaza, a twin-towered complex recently removed from the Mitchell-Lama affordable housing program and rebranded as the “Heritage at Schomburg Plaza.”

Side streets nearby, like East 105th, contain worn apartments laced with fire escapes; better-aged row houses, whose earth-toned stone facades recall battlements, stand on East 94th.

Squeezed amid taller buildings to the south are Beaux-Arts town houses with lanterns, balconies and verdigris roofs, like the one owned by Mayor Bloomberg on East 79th. Condos are part of the mix, too: The soaring 30 East 85th was completed in 1987.

Museum Mile is probably best known for elegant brick co-ops, including a dozen designed by J. E. R. Carpenter, who can count Dr. Marianne Legato, an internist and cardiologist, among his fans.

Last year, Dr. Legato left her rental in the Manhattan House at East 66th Street, where she had lived for 40 years, and paid $2.1 million for a six-room unit at 1150 Fifth. Though it required a “significant” redo, she said, the building’s architecture is worth it.

“When I came into my beautiful lobby, with its lovely proportions,” she said, “I thought, ‘This is the place for me.’ ”

WHAT YOU’LL PAY

Sales activity has dropped significantly along Museum Mile, though prices remain strong.

From January to mid-November of 2007, near the market’s peak, there were 252 sales of co-ops, condos and town houses, for an average price of $4.2 million, according to sales data.

Prices ranged from $399,000, for a 400-square-foot co-op at 1361 Madison Avenue, to $46 million for a seven-bedroom co-op at 1060 Fifth Avenue.
    The year has seen 94 deals, a 63 percent decrease, largely in line with Manhattan as a whole. Prices have barely budged; the average is $4.01 million.

“If you did not have to sell your apartment,” said Liz Fishman, a Stribling broker, “you didn’t put it on the market, because you would get a reduced price.” Many sellers “figure, let’s wait till the market comes up.”

THE SCHOOLS

The public schools are mixed. At Central Park East 2, which teaches kindergarten through fifth grade, 63 percent of fourth-graders met state standards last year in math while 44 percent did so in English. Citywide, those percentages were 85 and 69.

At Public School 171, which teaches kindergarten through eighth grade, 100 percent of fourth-graders met standards in math and 98 percent in English. In eighth grade, percentages were 90 and 57, versus 71 and 57 citywide.
    At Park East High School last year SAT averages were 407 in math, 391 in reading and 390 in writing, versus 515, 502 and 494 statewide.

But such are the area’s contrasts that it is hard to throw a squash ball and not hit a private school. St. David’s, St. Bernard’s, Dalton, Spence and Nightingale-Bamford are all here or close by.

WHAT TO DO

There’s the park, of course. But save for sidewalk vendors, Fifth Avenue here doesn’t offer much shopping. For that, residents head to Madison, which is chockablock with boutiques, including hip clothing stores for kids, between 86th and 90th Streets.

In the window of Greenstones, Too, recently, there was a child-size three-quarter-sleeve T-shirt emblazoned with a motorcycle, while Bonpoint displayed designer denim. Parents might savor the Corner Bookstore, which casts a warm glow on an evening sidewalk.

THE COMMUTE

The Nos. 4, 5 and 6 subway lines stop at 86th Street and Lexington Avenue. Local 6 service is available at 77th, 96th and 103rd Streets. But to avoid the eastward walk, some residents opt for the bus, including the M1, M2, M3 and M4, which offer limited-stop service along Fifth Avenue to Midtown in 15 minutes.

THE HISTORY

Frawley Circle, the Columbus-Circle-like roundabout with skinny trees at Central Park’s northeastern corner, was named for James J. Frawley, a state senator who also ran the construction company that built the Manhattan and Queensboro Bridges. The statue that anchors the circle, however, is of Duke Ellington, the jazz musician, immortalized here because of his Harlem connection, alongside a grand piano.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/29/re...te/29livi.html

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast