Thread: Narita Layover

Default Narita Layover

I've got to kill 12+ hours in Tokyo in two weeks. Does anyone have any tips for stuff to do within that time period? I was planning on taking the train to Tokyo, and then coming back early and spending the remainder in Narita. Does that make any sense to do, or is that too much? Is there anything redeemable about Narita? Can you kill 12 hours there, or are you going to get bored?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadly View Post
    I've got to kill 12+ hours in Tokyo in two weeks. Does anyone have any tips for stuff to do within that time period? I was planning on taking the train to Tokyo, and then coming back early and spending the remainder in Narita. Does that make any sense to do, or is that too much? Is there anything redeemable about Narita? Can you kill 12 hours there, or are you going to get bored?
    Narita doesn't get awards for stop-overs. Bulletpoints:
    - Research the Narita Express which goes into Tokyo as some services are quick, while others are really slow.
    - Invest in a Suica (equivalent of Hong Kong's Octopus or London's Oyster) which can be used on the trains throughout most of the Kanto region, and can be used for future journeys.
    - Head towards Shinjuku/Shibuya which the NE does go to (some trains terminate at Tokyo station, but that would be an excuse to then ride the Yamanote Line - world's busiest railway which handles the equivalent of 2/3rds of the entire New York Subway network) as this is where it is 'going down'
    - Otherwise just ramble around; Tokyo (like London) is the polar opposite of the street order found in Paris and New York - you stumble on the most unlikeliest of areas, people and eateries in lots of nooks and crannies!