Thread: Moving to NYC from Scotland

Default Moving to NYC from Scotland

Hey, my name is Jordan & it's always been a dream of mine to move to New York City, the problem is I live in Scotland, UK - and I've heard it's tough to move to the US from the UK.

How much money would I need to save? The areas I'd prefer living in are: Upper East Side of Manhattan, Upper West Side, Midtown West, Midtown East. I'd prefer not to live in Brooklyn or any outer boroughs.

I'm looking for a job in either Journalism or Fashion (or even both, if it makes me more money!) How hard would it be for a Scot to make it in New York, earning a good wage and affording rent, food, clothes - all of the essential needs?

I'd rather not live with a roommate, but when I move to NY I realise it'd be a lot easier if I do to get my feet on the ground, so I don't mind until I'm used to the city.

I've been to New York for a week before, and I fell in love with it. I visited several places out of "the city", like Harroman and surrounding areas and wouldn't mind living there, seeing as the train is so close and easy into the city.

Any advice would be amazing - my biggest worry is money. I would be paying monthly rent obviously, but hope to OWN an apartment in the end, and the average I've seen for a nice apt in the areas I want are $250,000-$300,000 and I can't afford that right now.

Again, if you could recommend any fashion schools I could study at, whilst working at some newspaper/magazine company. I realise I've got my work cut out for me and I'm going to struggle, but I won't let it get on top of me.

Thank you :-)

Are you at University or have you got a degree already? Ive lived in NY before and can give you any help I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Alonzo-ny View Post
    Are you at University or have you got a degree already? Ive lived in NY before and can give you any help I can.
    Nope, I've still got to go, will probably be studying Media & possibly Fashion Design and then once I've got my degree I will make the move.

Any tips?

One important thing I did was work in NY in the summer breaks from university. This helps you get to know people and make contacts. The visa for a summer job is very easy to get. I would advise against studying in NY. Its far cheaper here in Scotland. I think the cheapest state education in NY would be around $6k and there would be no student loans for you.

When I moved last year it was on a one year visa and I found a permanent job while I was there. I actually took part in the H1-B visa lottery before I decided to return to university. Its quite hard to get the H1-B as it is basically names in a hat.

If you are just about to start university that is very good, try and work in NY every summer you can and then try and make the permanent move when you have your degree. The job situation will have improved by then also as now will be very difficult. Ive actually been looking for summer jobs there and I havent had any luck.

Dont worry about apartments and money at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Alonzo-ny View Post
    One important thing I did was work in NY in the summer breaks from university. This helps you get to know people and make contacts. The visa for a summer job is very easy to get. I would advise against studying in NY. Its far cheaper here in Scotland. I think the cheapest state education in NY would be around $6k and there would be no student loans for you.

When I moved last year it was on a one year visa and I found a permanent job while I was there. I actually took part in the H1-B visa lottery before I decided to return to university. Its quite hard to get the H1-B as it is basically names in a hat.

If you are just about to start university that is very good, try and work in NY every summer you can and then try and make the permanent move when you have your degree. The job situation will have improved by then also as now will be very difficult. Ive actually been looking for summer jobs there and I havent had any luck.

Dont worry about apartments and money at the moment.
    So you're saying, stay in Scotland & try to find summer jobs in New York? Would the uni cover this or would I have to pay for it by myself?

Quote Originally Posted by JordanUK View Post
    So you're saying, stay in Scotland & try to find summer jobs in New York? Would the uni cover this or would I have to pay for it by myself?
    Absolutely, In my opinion getting your education here is better in so many ways.

Visit www.bunac.org I used them to work in NY for two summers at the statue of liberty which gave me the opportunity to network for a job related to my career. I also worked there for one year last year on the same kind of program. You will have to cover it but you should be able to make your money back through the job you work at.

As alonzo says, an undergrad degree is pure insanity to get at a US university. The cost is so ridiculously high it's a bad joke. Even for masters or professional degrees, you'd probably be better of staying in the UK, although it becomes more of a consideration there.

Both journalism and fashion are difficult businesses to break into, and neither pay very well unless you really make it big though. Then again, if that is where your passion is, go for it. There's some major publishing corporations in New York, so it certainly isn't the wrong place.

I am not sure where you have seen apartments for $250,000-300,000 in Manhattan, but they are most definitely not going to be nice by any standards. And you probably should count on living with a roommate, at least in the beginning.

In my personal opinion you cant beat a British education, especially when the cost is so much less and you can get great student loans to help anyone out.

Jordan, the great thing is you are planning ahead and you have alot of time to work with so everything is in your favour. Stick around on this site the guys here have the best advice. I cant really foresee any problems in your way if you take the advice Ken and I have given you.

Banned Member

For the record, New York would welcome Alonzo back.

Thanks BR, hopefully it will for the summer!