Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast

Thread: History New York 20th century

Are you dead or something erick

^ Nice (NOT ) .

Hi friends:

Tank you for read and enjoy my post about the evolution of New York skyline during the 20th Century.

Since july of 2011 I don't made any post because in the last months I have so occupied with many personal activities, and personal works that don't have any to see about New York.

Perhaps, I dedicate to write a group in Facebook called "Historia de los Rascacielos de Nueva York" with information about the evolution of Manhattan skyscrapers since 1850 totally in spanish. I invites you to visit my group in the next Link:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/hist...york/?refid=20

Soon I back in March to this thread to continues this travel to told about the city in the 1980's.

Thank You

Erick Christian Alvarez Soto.

Forum Veteran

Default 1968 Passing Through Manhattan, in 160 seconds

LOL ^ the cameraman zips right past my building, back in the day before some modern crud (circa 1940s) was stripped off & the facade was restored -- and when the sidewalks down here were barely crowded.

I should have taken Dramamine before I watched it. I had to pause every few seconds.

Really love this thread. It's the reason I found Wired in the first place. Keep up the great work!

Cool

Cool video, BTW. Would like to see the slowed down version.

Default Manhattan 1980s

NEXT WEEK

A 1985-86 SPECIAL

THE MARRIOTT MARQUIS HOTEL
    &
    THE EQUITABLE CENTER

KEY BUILDINGS IN THE
    TIMES SQUARE RENAISSANCE

Photos: From Stern, Robert A.M.; Fishman, David; Tilove, Jacob. New York 2000. Architecture and Urbanism Between the Bicentennial and the Millennium. New York. The Monacelli Press. 2006).

MAY 5, 2012

Default Manhattan 1980s

Hi Friends. Almost one year after I back to continue with our travel through the history of New York skyscrapers during 20th Century.

Now, continue with the 1980s, I show a general panorama of the World's most famous skyline in 1985, in the middle of a context of a great city's economic recovery (in the time, these recovery only reflected in Manhattan, while the other districts, specially the Bronx, continue on a deplorable situation of urban decay, social troubles, violence and delicuency activity). These recovery, centered in the abominable financial especulation centered in Wall Street, was reflected in the new office building-boom. Postmodern buildings were build reminescent the lines of old 1920s and 1930s skyscrapers.

These building boom were mainly in three areas: East side of Midtown Manhattan, Times Square and the Financial District on Lower Manhattan, where the main construction activity were centered in the Battery Park City development, specially, the construction of the new skyscrapers of World Financial Center.

Buildings that were completed in 1985:

• 44-story One World Financial Center
    • 54-story Three World Financial Center (American Express Building).
    • 45-story Tower 45 (the building were completed in late 1984, but it was open in 1985).
    • 71-story Metropolitan Tower
    • 30-story 33 Maiden Lane Office Building
    • 32-story Four World Financial Center (excavation. The building begun to rises up in late 1984).
    • 53-story Marriott Marquis Hotel, at Times Square

Construction continued for the next skyscrapers:

• 55-story Equitable Center (the building were completed on early 1986)
    • 45-story Two World Financial Center (excavation)
    • 72-story City Spire (excavation. Construction began to rises up in late 1985)
    • 45-story Manhattan Building
    • 36-story Park Avenue Tower
    • 25-story Nasdaq Building
    • 48-story 599 Lexington Avenue
    • 47-story 7 World Trade Center
    • 36-story Lipstick Building
    • 52-story 100 United Nations Plaza

Construction activity begun on the next skyscrapers:

• 42-story 17 State Street Building (demolition of the 1968 Seamen Church Institute Building and excavation)
    • 36-story One Financial Square (excavation. The building begun to rises up on late 1985)
    • 52 story J.P. Morgan Building (excavation)
    • 39-story Shearson Building (excavation)
    • 26-story Zeckendorf Towers (excavation. Buildings begun to rises up on mid 1985)
    • 30-story 425 Lexington Avenue Building (demolition of existing buildings and excavation)
    • 31-story 750 Lexington Avenue (demolition of existing buildings and excavation)
    • 34-story 135 East 57th Street Building (excavation)

Now here a general panorama of city skyline in 1985.

Spring arrived in New York City. View of Midtown Manhattan skyscrapers from Union Square. April 1985

The "New Look" of Lower Manhattan's Financial District with new Postmodern skyscrapers. On the right, in backgrond is the Twin Towers of World Trade Center and behind it, the piramidal tower of Three World Financial Center under construction. The buidling under construction on foreground, above East River is the new Pier 17. May 1985.

Night view of Midtown Manhattan looking south from Rockefeller Center's RCA Building, showing the Empire State Building (center), the World Trade Center and World Financial Center buildings (right, of background). Midtown Manhattan begun to change with posmodern buildings. June 1985.

The Empire State Building from the Observation Deck of the RCA Building in july 1985. In these year the RCA Building's Observation Deck, on 70 floor were closed to the public and not were open again until 2005 with a new name: "Top of the Rock".

535 Madison Avenue Building ((Edward Larrabee Barnes, 1982) in September of 1985.

The next pictures were from a Bill Harris book "New York. A Photographic Journey" (Crescent Books. 1989):

Aerial view of Empire State Building looking northwest showing the rest of Midtown Manhattan and Central Park (background). September 1985.

Lower Manhattan Financial District looking north in September 1985, showing the first signs of Posmodern transformation. On the left the Battery Park City on development with three of four of the new towers of World Financial Center under construction, and the Twin Towers of World Trade Center. On the center, on foreground Battery Park with the modern building of Seamen Church Institute (1968) under demolition to make way to 17 State Street Building. On backgound can see Midtown Manhattan.

Financial District skyscrapers from Civic Center. September 1985.

Aerial view of the Twin Towers of World Trade Center looking northeast, showing two of the new skyscarpers of World Financial Center (three and one WFC) nearing completion. September 1985. Photo: From Bill Harris book
    "The World Trade Center. A Tribute" (Courage Books. London, U.K. 2001. Page 2).

Another Postmodern building: 33 Maiden Lane Building (Phillip Johnson. 1985). October 1985

Next week, a 1985-1986 Special: Marriott Marquis Hotel and Equitable Center.

YESSS!!! YOU ARE BACK!!! Your reports were greatly missed.

Default next installment.....

Quote Originally Posted by LeCom View Post
    YESSS!!! YOU ARE BACK!!! Your reports were greatly missed.
    I would love to see the next installment of this series as 750 lexington was my first job as a ironworker.

Sure. I just want to finish some job obligations comply with unrelated to my journalistic work about the history of skyscrapers of New York City, and will make more posts. In the last monts I really had very busy with another jobs unrelated that.

Meanwhile, I invite you to visit my Facebook page on the development of New York City skyscrapers called "Historia de los Rascacielos de Nueva York". The information is in Spanish, and surely you'll love it.

Link: https://www.facebook.com/HistoriaDeL...losDeNuevaYork

Thank You.

Quote Originally Posted by erickchristian View Post
    Sure. I just want to finish some job obligations comply with unrelated to my journalistic work about the history of skyscrapers of New York City, and will make more posts. In the last monts I really had very busy with another jobs unrelated that.

Meanwhile, I invite you to visit my Facebook page on the development of New York City skyscrapers called "Historia de los Rascacielos de Nueva York". The information is in Spanish, and surely you'll love it.

Link: https://www.facebook.com/HistoriaDeL...losDeNuevaYork

Thank You.

I guess no more then?