Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: You Can Personally Help the MOMA Spire (Tower Verre) Get Built, Here's How

A January groundbreaking would, indeed, be fantastic. However, given the time it takes to line up financing even in the best of real estate markets, I'd say mid-2010 at the earliest.

Quote Originally Posted by CitiesfromSpace View Post
    Yeah, there was some eyerolling there when people saw that poster sitting out front. Oh, I forgot, there was a hilarious moment when a giant cockroach ran around under these old cat ladies and they flipped out...it was like something out of "The Witches"!

Guys, thanks so much, I'm so glad I could help. What's the next step, Noyo?
    The next meeting is August 3rd. I'll post more information as the meeting nears and the people at MOMA update me.

Banned Member

You're doing a great job, Noyoka! Thanks for the updates.

Absolutely...thanks for being our man on the inside lol.

No problem. I'd like to thank everyone who has written and who has spoken at these meetings (sans nimby's). I truly believe it has an impact. We're almost at the end of the process, if built we can also say we had a small part in helping build a landmark for future generations. I'd also like to thank the people at the MOMA who are dedicated to this project and fantastic in their correspondence.

Quote Originally Posted by CitiesfromSpace View Post
    Basically, every single speaker against was either an old NIMBY (who spoke at all the community board meetings) or someone who has no idea what they're talking about (the leader of the New York hotel labor union chapter...stick to managing hotels, not real estate development).
    The opposition by hotel managers should be immediately disregarded by the City Council because it is so blatantly biased. They only care about competition that will result from additional hotel rooms, if this was an office building they'd be at the meetings supporting it.

The CPC website indicates that the meeting yesterday 8/3 was simply a Review Session and lists 9/9 as the next date for Tower Verre consideration:

CITY PLANNING COMMISSION/REVIEW SESSION
    August 3, 2009 @ 1:00 P.M.

Future Votes/ Post Hearing Follow-Up

ULURP Number(s) Description of Request(s)

September 9th

C090431ZSM 53 West 53rd Street/ MoMA (M5) (9/18)
    C090432ZSM

I'm not sure what the "9/18" refers to; it's a Friday and CPC shows nothing scheduled for that day.

I am from Chicago and would love to see this built. At this stage, what can someone like myself do? If making a trip to NYC in September for this meeting is important, I'd certainly make the effort.

Reaktor its nice to hear your commitment for this project. A visit to New York is not necessary, just write the City Planning Commission, they haven't made a decision yet so your letter will probably be read and considered.

# Please mail to:

CITY PLANNING COMMISSION
    Calendar Information Office - Room 2E
    22 Reade Street, New York, N.Y. 10007

Or fax to:
    (212)720-3219

Please include the following pieces of information:
    • Your name;
    • Your address;
    • The organization which you represent, and your position, if any;
    • Subject and ULURP or CEQR Application #; use: 09DCP004M , 090431ZSM , or 090432ZSM
    • Borough.

Please note that while the Department cannot respond to each letter individually, each correspondence the Commission receives is included in the official record for that application.

CPC website [pdf] now shows this for C 090431 ZSM -- 53 West 53rd Street / MoMA project following the CPC vote on Wednesday:

Fav. Report Adopted as Modified
    That "Report" is not yet available online.

Next step: To be heard before the City Council in early October 2009.

A statement from MoMA:

The Museum of Modern Art appreciates the City Planning Commission's
    diligent review of the 53 West 53rd Street proposal and is pleased that
    the public review process is moving forward. While we had hoped that
    the Commission would approve the Jean Nouvel design as originally
    proposed, we are confident that the process will yield a project that
    contributes greatly to the architectural heritage and economy of the
    city.
    It is hoped that those in support of the 1250' Tower Verre will make their thoughts known to the NY City Council, by way of your individual Councilmember.

After the City Council it will go before Manhattan Borough President, Scott Stringer, who previously announced his "conditional" support for the 1250' tower.

So, is it still possible that the 1,250 version could be approved?

It's not over 'til it's over.

Next step is an up or down from the NY City Council (where enough votes for an OK seems unlikely), then to the Manhattan Borough President (where MBP input is not binding but only advisory).

I'd say it's unlikely that things will end up in favor of the tallest option, but Stringer is running unopposed for re-election as Manhattan Borough President in next week's primary (and is a likely shoo-in come November) so he would really have little to lose by giving the 1250' version his OK.

From plan nyc:

... State Senator Liz Krueger (D-26th District) has said she is opposed to the building because it is “grossly out of scale” with the neighborhood. Other public officials - such as City Council Member Daniel Garodnick (D-4th District) and State Assembly Member Richard Gottfried (D-75th District) - have echoed concerns and community opposition.

Because the tower requires a special permit, the development must win approval through the City’s public review process, the Uniform Land Use Review Procedure (ULURP), and the City's environmental review process, the City Environmental Quality Review (CEQR). ULURP began in May of 2009. Soon after, in mid-June, CB 5 voted against the project. Following CB5's disapproval, Manhattan Borough President Scott Stringer (D) conditionally approved the proposed Nouvel tower in mid-July of 2009. Both CB 5's and Stringer's votes are only advisory. In September 2009, the City Planning Commission ordered 200 feet to be removed from the top of the building, changing the proposed height from the original 1,250 feet to 1,050 feet. City Council is expected to vote on the tower by the end of 2009.

Last Updated: September 10, 2009

Thanks for the information, Lofter.

If this is true, and this project is abandoned, then NY has sealed its fate as a shabby, uninovative city of the past. Long live, London, the 2,000 year old capital of the world that keeps reinventing itself.

From Curbed:

Nouvel Loses His Head —Doing more harm to French-U.S. relations, a tipster passes along word that a pair of City Council subcommittees approved Jean Nouvel's MoMA Tower at a height of 1,050 feet this morning. After the 1,250' tower lost 200 feet at the hands of the City Planning Commission, Nouvel and the skyscraper's developer asked that the full height be restored. Correct us if we're wrong, ULURP geeks, but the 53 West 53rd Street proposal now heads back to City Planning for certification, and then onto a full City Council vote on October 29. Will Nouvel bother to stick around? [CurbedWire]

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer View Post
    If this is true, and this project is abandoned, then NY has sealed its fate as a shabby, uninovative city of the past. Long live, London, the 2,000 year old capital of the world that keeps reinventing itself.

From Curbed:

Nouvel Loses His Head —Doing more harm to French-U.S. relations, a tipster passes along word that a pair of City Council subcommittees approved Jean Nouvel's MoMA Tower at a height of 1,050 feet this morning. After the 1,250' tower lost 200 feet at the hands of the City Planning Commission, Nouvel and the skyscraper's developer asked that the full height be restored. Correct us if we're wrong, ULURP geeks, but the 53 West 53rd Street proposal now heads back to City Planning for certification, and then onto a full City Council vote on October 29. Will Nouvel bother to stick around? [CurbedWire]
    I wouldn't take it that far, but it'd be a goddamn shame.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast