Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: 51 Astor Place - Cooper Union - by Fumihiko Maki

I was there today; don't like the effect that building has on the Astor Place intersection. That huge mass of a building, with no setbacks, bears down on that spacious intersection in a very imposing and visually unpleasant manner.

That building just take a big section of the sky: that open-sky vista is (was) one of the best features of the Astor Place intersection. The Gwathmy building across the way, with a low streetwall base with a set-back tower above would have been a far more elegant solution: I suppose they just wanted to maximize the buildable envelop - can't blame Maki.

Remember, there was a lot of nothing at that intersection before (the lowrise 50's eyesore and single story taxpayer this building replaced, the parking lot the Gwathmy condo now sits on, plus the still open plaza areas.) Anything that got built was going to close it up to a certain extent. There was a lot of fallow land here that was going to be developed at some point.

If this building were built tower on pedestal, it probably would have blocked the sky view a bit less, but I don't know if the zoning allows for the height that would have fully allowed all the floor area to be used for that design.

Quote Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
    Remember, there was a lot of nothing at that intersection before (the lowrise 50's eyesore and single story taxpayer this building replaced, the parking lot the Gwathmy condo now sits on, plus the still open plaza areas.) Anything that got built was going to close it up to a certain extent. There was a lot of fallow land here that was going to be developed at some point.

t
    I lived in that area for many years, so that "lot of nothing" is probably what I have become accustomed to; hence my 'negative' reaction to the sheer 'size' of the building. I would have preferred (if it were possible) to see the pedestal, with a set-back tower: but that's just me, a personal 'preference'.

ribbed, for your pleasure

Wow! The reflections are amazing.

This is a very nice building, and a colossal improvement over what was there.

Hey! You guys have bike hire now too?

Hi, mate. How are you?

You need to come back for a visit in a few years when all the new towers have been built.

The bike program is called Citi-bike, as it is underwritten by Citibank.

Zippy, those shots all look phenomenal. Thanks as always.

Seems this one has been overpriced and, so far, hard to rent:

An empty 51 Astor Place

But the glass is great. Maki does quality projects.

They were wooing the crap out of MS, but clearly that didn't work out. Its an interesting spot, that just don't feel like a class A office spot, but the building sure is. I am sure that it'll make good money even at a solid discount when it comes to that.

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer View Post
    Hi, mate. How are you?

You need to come back for a visit in a few years when all the new towers have been built.

The bike program is called Citi-bike, as it is underwritten by Citibank.
    All is well! London is great, things are looking up all around.

This building is awesome, but I have to agree that it's out of place. I also have a feeling that a more contextual design, one that complements the Cooper Union building would have been a more successful project.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast