Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 120 West 57th Street - by Harry B. Mulliken : The demise of a beauty

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer View Post
    NY is a pathetic POS. What a f.cking joke of a city. It's becoming the Houston of the north -- but extremely expensive and with crap weather. This POS, together with Extell's 1,000 foot ode to mediocrity, will continue to ruin 57th Street.
    drama queen.

The Taliban rule NY. If we had the Baymian Buddhas, they'd be long gone too.

More ridiculous hyperbole.
    How can you compare the destruction of an 80 year old half-ruined office building to 1700 year old religious statues. Get a grip man.
    Last edited by Derek2k3; September 16th, 2010 at 05:03 PM.

Derek, I don't know how you can be indifferent to the destruction of scores of classic buildings and their replacement with crap.

You're unwilling to ackowledge that architecturally, NY is becoming a POS.

Khandahar-on-Hudson's Talibanesque "developers" have expedited the city's journey on the Bamiyan Express. Perhaps all of our "developers' " names should be preceded by "Mullah."

Last edited by londonlawyer; September 19th, 2010 at 10:40 AM.

It would be easier on us all simply to post that once ^ and then provide a link to all the other applicable threads ...

I needed to vent my anger. I always loved this building. When the market recovers, all of the old gems on West 57th will be razed and replaced with crap like this POS time share.

At least we'll still have that little arched slot passageway leading to 56th Street (no doubt with blank concrete walls rising on both sides above).

Room for a future super sliver.

That little arched slot's days are numbered. The only thing that will remain is the heinous Director's Guild POS.

The buildings just to the west of 120 W 57th are having the facades restored. They're 126-132 (aka 130 West 57th) & 134-140 (aka 140 W 57th), a Landmarked set of two buildings circa 1907, not exactly twins but quite complimentary in their Art Nouveau design.

130 West 57th Street, bet. Sixth and Seventh Aves.

140 West 57th Street Studio Building

That little arched slot's days are numbered.
    What's the plan there?

It remains in the render for 120.

It's a massive relief that they're landmarked. At one time (and maybe still), Mullah Macklowe owned 140 so I thought that its demise was inevitable. Is 140's crown going to be restored?
    Last edited by londonlawyer; September 19th, 2010 at 10:41 AM.

Here's the LPC Permit (Issued 6.14.2010) for 140 W 57th.

It mentions removal and replacement of material at the parapet, but nothing specific about the restoration of the cornice.

Here's a nice shot from 1909 of 130 & 140 from both the 130 West 57th LPC Designation Report and the 140 West 57th LPC Designation Report:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	130W57LPC.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	128.4 KB 
ID:	10941

FYI: The arched slot at 118 W 57th has been connected for many years to what is now the Le Parker Meridien hotel at 119 W 56th. With 725 luxury rate rooms this big hotel isn't going anywhere. Seems that 24' wide slot fronting W 57 will remain for quite some time.

Thanks, Lofter.

I've had friends stay at the Le Meridian and have walked through the arch many times.

Though I bet Roman & Williams are the interior designers, all the projects they've worked have been high quality.
    http://www.romanandwilliams.com/projectlist.html

I think this looks promising. Unfortunate what it's replacing.

I passed by yesterday and they're definitely clearing out the interiors now. The sidewalk frontage is a boarded up mess now too. A full demo permit was filed a few days ago.

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...llnumbhous=120

Thanks for the update. Unfortunately, this is very sad news.

Two friends of mine from Rome and London recently were in NY. Neither had been to NY for several years, and both commented that NYC looks very unimpressive. Quite sadly, I agreed.

Why would any as.s hole destroy this stunning building?

The truly sad part is that there are many empty lots on a prime stretch of 57th, and there is a lot of absolute sh.it, like the Director's Guild, that should be torn down ASAP. Once again, NY demonstrates its psychotic adherence to the Architectural Anti-Darwin Rule (i.e., crap survives and great buildings are destroyed). Indeed, I am amazed by NY's ability to consistently set new limbo records! Every time I think it can't get lower (e.g., demolishing the 55th Street townhouses, The Drake, etc.), it does. Next up: Macklowe's destruction of the 57th Street townhouses and Vornado's pillaging of the Hotel Penn!
    NY might be the best city in the US, but that's not saying much since American cities generally suck.

NY's mullahs have learned nothing since this sacrilege was perpetrated. Even Hitler was sensible enough to spare Paris.

Last edited by londonlawyer; October 3rd, 2010 at 11:04 PM.

Why do you seem so shocked. We've known about this building's doom for over a year now.
    Contrary to what you post most new development occurs on vacant lots and schlocky sites.

I think the architect might be Michael Muroff. He designed 211 Elizabeth.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast