Page 52 of 79 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662 ... LastLast

Thread: Silvio Berlusconi- King of Italy, Right Wing Pustule

I certainly would not have said "bravo"... but there are idiots among us.
    Disagree with me, but don't call me an idiot. I am trying to ignore your acidic personal comments and insults, but it 's difficult when you just can't keep your mouth shut.
    You may not like my comment...fine. That is not a justification for more personal insults. Got it? Just keep your pie hole closed when it comes to me. You'll find it easy if you stop grinding that axe. Thanks.

Berlusconi: an arrogant prick who leads his life by looking down his nose at everybody. So now it's broken. Boo hoo.

What a surprise...he's a part of the regular world after all! A world where people actually have to watch what they do and say or they might get knocked in the nose. He thinks he's above everyone and everything, like nobody can touch him...but a simple thing like a blow to the face is a great reality check. BRAVO, like I said.

All the media control and corruption in the world won't stop a right hook to the the grill, thankfully. Or a thrown shoe.
    The world needs MORE open rebellion against these creeps, not less. They want to own and control lives, yet a knock to the face is supposed to make us all cry foul. No. Sorry if I think he got a small bit of what he deserves.

All we keep hearing is "old man", "old man"...well, this old man is evidently youthful enough to carry on the way he does, and karma struck back. Again, boo hoo. Berlusconi has spent his whole life mistreating people, so he can't be surprised if someone sneaks through and figures out a way to mistreat him right back. This gentle little weak darling 73 yr old man would never ever even think about indirectly causing harm or threatening anyone ever. Yeah right!
    I am sure his thugs or mafia friends have no problem with hitting old people.

Unfortunately, this is a weak substitute for real justice, which would land his little ass in jail with an unforgiving Roma cellmate to bugger him. However, since Berlusconi controls the media and the courts in his little kingdom, so there is ZERO chance of real justice... we take some limited satisfaction with a jab in the kisser.
    Last edited by MidtownGuy; December 14th, 2009 at 03:02 PM.

This thread is again open and the posts about the attack on Berlusconi have been moved here.

Midtown: I call those who favour punching old people in the face, "idiots".

I'm funny that way.

If you, for some reason, are disturbed by that please contact a moderator.

If a man is an arse, it does not matter how old he is.

Although I believe that that level of physical violence is unwarranted with no stated reason.

This was just not a wise decision.

Midtown: I call those who favour punching old people in the face, "idiots".

I'm funny that way.
    Fabrizio: Your personality is your own issue, and obviously I'm not in "favor of punching old people". Berlusconi is a case.
    The fact remains that personal insults between members are prohibited on this forum.

This thread has been graciously reopened by a moderator...this thread was previously closed because of the unpleasant back and forth between us.

I'm not interested in repeating history.

My opinion toward Berlusconi is my own and free to express, according to the rules here, without personal insult. I have no problem getting along in a reasonably civil manner with the other members here, and I expect we can do the same. No matter what our philosophical differences may be.

I did not refer to you when I commented, and sincerely request that you meet me halfway. I have asked that we mutually ignore each other's input toward the discussion. It is for everyone's sake.

"If you, for some reason, are disturbed by that please contact a moderator."
    The moderators have expressed a desire that the two of us reach a détente in hostilities, without their direct involvement. I am attempting to do so. As I said before, this is difficult if you continue this way. So I am asking you to please quit the disturbing behavior.

You are annoyed by me, and I am annoyed by you. So, what is the solution, except call a truce and keep the name calling to ourselves....
    We are both long term forum veterans who need to learn how to coexist here, so cut it out...

...and thanks ever so kindly in advance.

---

LOL:

Little Silvio Berlusconi dolls with blood on their faces on sale in Naples. Photograph: Roberto Salomone/AFP/Getty Images
    Last edited by MidtownGuy; December 16th, 2009 at 08:33 PM.

Bloodied Berlusconi figurines a hit

December 17, 2009 - 7:29AM

AFP
    The weekend attack on Silvio Berlusconi has inspired artisans in Naples to create Christmas figurines of the Italian prime minister with a bloodied face.
    Just three days after Berlusconi, 73, was struck in the face with a souvenir model of the Milan cathedral, the figurines - of the sort traditionally produced for Christmas nativity scenes - appeared in shops in the southern city on Wednesday.
    Two versions of the figurines, known as santoni, were spotted in shop windows alongside more traditional ones portraying Jesus and Mary.
    In one, Berlusconi has a white bandage around his head and blood besmirching his face and collar.
    In another, he is carrying a dossier under his arm as if headed into a cabinet meeting, again with blood oozing from facial wounds but sporting a confident smile.
    Every year, Christmas tourists snap up Naples' santoni, which are often inspired by news events.
    In Milan, models of the cathedral such as that used in the assault on Sunday have also been selling well.
    Berlusconi, suffering from a broken nose, two broken teeth and other facial injuries, was ordered to stay another night in hospital on Wednesday.
    The assailant, Massimo Tartaglia, 42, who police said has had longstanding psychiatric troubles, faces assault charges punishable by up to five years in jail.

© 2009 AFP

Remember that "santone" (santoni plural)... means those sainted... or especially wise.

Even if the blood on the Berlusconi statue is coming out of his nose, bloody statues here represent the stigmata. Or one of the statues in Italy that mysteriously cries blood...so in Italy, the bloody statue of Berlusconi will have layers of meanings depending on who wants to see what:

(the Madonna of Civitavecchia)

Actually, the gift of choice right now is a souvenier-shop Duomo of Milan.

I don't know how this event has affected Berlusconi in the polls, but I'm expecting a rise... we don't have daily polls and so forth as in the States. He has been in the 45 to 50 % range, similar to Obama and other Western leaders.

The attack was of course condemed here, as anyone would ...but there are idiots among us.

One thing for sure, Berlusconi's populist style of wading into crowds is over.

I wonder how many Americans know that, believe it or not, George Bush did the same on one of his travels. In Albania.

Watch this, it's really quite startling:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKDdF6vfjoo

Urban legend has it that Bush's wrist watch was stolen in the crush:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle1921296.ece

----

The strange case of the Madonna of Civitavecchia:

http://www.visionsofjesuschrist.com/weeping63.htm

--

Re: Bush's Watch

If you look at the vid you see he's got a watch on his left wrist @ 0:53. By 1:08, after numerous folks have adored him close up, there ain't no watch on his arm.

Could this be what Karzai is doing to Obama, long distance? Perhaps Karzai has a good reason.

The statuetttes of Berlusconi are a joke. Funny. They make people laugh. That's why they sell. The religious significance of regular santoni (stigmata and so on) is what makes the perversion even more funny. They're cute too...well done, the way the little blood splatter from the nose is painted.

In a purely emotional, primal sense, a knock in the face to a constantly arrogant, always smirking, corrupt, morally deficient billionaire/ruler is satisfying for people who finally saw that famous smirk wiped away, just once, and replaced with good ol' regular-joe humiliation. Ahhhh....good theater...yet one has to see the benefit it ultimately affords him politically, and so yes this was a bad thing in any serious appraisal. Of course his poll numbers will go up, they always do for politicians in cases of injury. He'll end up using the whole thing quite adeptly.

I love this:

Berlusconi Strikes Back

Some people have all the luck.

Or, some people, familiar with adversity and reversals of fortune, know merely to wait until someone else hands you a trump card.

Silvio Berlusconi, struck rudely and brutally in the face with a souvenir statue, is turning the tables on his critics. All Silvio bashing is now the work of anti-social elements.

With his huge fortune and control of his country’s media monopoly, not to mention his political charm and acumen, Berlusconi is as powerful a head of state as few have ever been in a democracy. Yet even here, his arrogance—of a kind perhaps never seen in the media age—has meant a steady drip-drip erosion of credibility and story. Having leveled his opposition, and insured his longevity with crass and artful manipulations of the judicial system, his fate still seemed to be sealed by his own excesses: clownish ignominy, if not prison.

But now he’s saved. Again.

People of extremes invite extremes. These extremes, which ought to doom them, save them. The poor fool who heaved the tchotchke at Silvio’s head has made it possible for the prime minister to bash his enemies with the greater righteousness.

Oy.

It is not just his political opponents who are to be reviled, but much of modern life—or that part of modern life not controlled by the prime minister. Facebook, with its ever-growing anti-Berlusconi groups, is the anarchic enemy, and the government is now saying it will block social-networking websites. The Internet itself, that new medium beyond the grasp of Berlusconi’s old media empire, must, according to Berlusconi officials, be brought under control, to avoid a “dangerous spiral of emulation.”

For Berlusconi, getting hit in the face is a personal 9/11, justifying an operatic response. The very nature of the attack, the humiliation of a bloody nose and broken teeth, means he’ll have to respond with a disproportionate defense to reclaim his manhood.

And, of course, it affords him yet another chance to demonstrate his indomitable spirit—and penchant for cosmetic work—when he returns to public life with a refurbished smile and sculpted nose: the hero, bowed, but not broken.

Sheesh.

http://www.newser.com/off-the-grid/p...ikes-back.html

^ The article is full of misinformation:

"Yet even here, his arrogance—of a kind perhaps never seen in the media age—has meant a steady drip-drip erosion of credibility and story. Having leveled his opposition, and insured his longevity with crass and artful manipulations of the judicial system,"

Uh... such as? Immunity overturned.

---

"With his huge fortune and control of his country’s media monopoly, not to mention his political charm and acumen, Berlusconi is as powerful a head of state as few have ever been in a democracy."

Italy's governments are historically fragile. In the past Berlusconi actually had more power but lost elections all the same. Why is that?

---

"and control of his country’s media monopoly"

A question: if Berlusconi closed down his TV network... who would have control of the airwaves? Hint: it begins with a "B".

And his print operation? IlGiornale? Panorama Magazine? They're clobbered by the competition.

-------

"Having leveled his opposition"

Leveled his opposition? LOL. What does that mean? There might be reasons for that. He won an election. That's how it works.

--

" Facebook, with its ever-growing anti-Berlusconi groups, is the anarchic enemy, and the government is now saying it will block social-networking websites."

^ Block social-networking websites? Uh.... no more Facebook in Italy? No more Myspace? Don't hold your breath.

--

This is the Newser website homepage from where that article comes from. Note the column on the right with the bylines. Seems Mr Wolff is not only an expert on Italy, but on everything:

http://www.newser.com/

--
    Last edited by Fabrizio; December 17th, 2009 at 04:06 PM.

BTW.... I wonder if Michael Wolf has seen the latest report of Moody's Misery index:

http://www.finfacts.ie/irishfinancen..._1018682.shtml

It might explain why Berlusconi is still popular.

Or I wonder if he's seen the latest report from the OECD composite leading economic indicators:

(scroll down to page 3 and take a look at the numbers)

http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/56/49/44246955.pdf

--
    Last edited by Fabrizio; December 17th, 2009 at 01:05 PM.

Speaking of statues: I here dedicate a statue from the Duomo of Florence to Silvio ‘Zuccone’ Burlusconi – “king of Italy”.

At one point in time at the apex of western civilization; it seems almost like Italy (and her Zuccone) are leading the charge to the decline of western civilization: poetic isn't it.

The significance (or implication) of this particular statue may be lost on all but Italians and art history majors.

http://notes.tranq.com/archives/2004/01/23/zuccone/

http://historymedren.about.com/od/pi...ry/zuccone.htm
    Last edited by infoshare; December 17th, 2009 at 06:22 PM.

^ The authour gets the use here of the word "zuccone" wrong.

At one point in time at the apex of western civilization; it seems almost like Italy (and her Zuccone) are leading the charge to the decline of western civilization: poetic isn't it.
    And sad... Italy is a country wallowing in trashy media, and Berlusconi is the clown driving the car in the center of the circus.

Italy politics: Sex, thighs and 'Videocracy'

ROME — Take a sex scandal dogging Silvio Berlusconi, add plenty of scantily clad young women on Italian TV and throw in some of the first serious scrutiny of a national culture where television lies at the nexus of power and politics.

The result is sex, thighs and "Videocracy" — a documentary that takes a harsh look at a system perfected through Berlusconi's TV empire, in which sexy women become a symbol and instrument of power.

The undress-for-success formula is rarely challenged in Italy, where flaunting sex appeal is a way of life. But a rebellion of sorts has begun to challenge this Berlusconi-championed mix of sex, political influence and TV.
    Cleavage and barely clad behinds are the signature feature of the lowbrow entertainment that is the mainstay of the Mediaset TV empire that made Berlusconi one of the world's wealthiest men and launched him into politics in the early 1990s.

For some women seeking to catch Berlusconi's eye, critics say, a lot of exposed skin has even been a way to break into politics; his minister for equal opportunity is a former beauty queen and host on Mediaset and state TV, and women whose most obvious attribute is sexiness have been recruited as candidates under the Berlusconi party banner.

Now comes an Italian businessman claiming to investigators that he procured some 30 women, many of them TV starlets or wannabes, as well as a high-end prostitute, to spice up the evenings dinners and parties at Berlusconi's Sardinian villa and Rome palazzo.

The businessman has since been arrested in a cocaine probe. Berlusconi, who denies ever paying for sex, isn't being investigated.
    In the midst of the scandal, a man wielding a statuette attacked Berlusconi on Sunday at a rally in Milan, leaving the premier with a broken nose and two broken teeth.

One politician who is decidedly not aiming for a spot on Berlusconi's TV shows is Rosy Bindi, an opposition centrist who, as vice president of the Chamber of Deputies is one of Italy's highest ranking female political figures.

She was on a state TV network in October, rebuking Berlusconi for the sex scandal when the 73-year-old premier phoned in and zinged her on the air, saying: "You are always more beautiful than intelligent."
    The graying, primly dressed 58-year-old shot back with: "I'm not one of the women at your disposal," and a backlash was born.

La Repubblica, the left-leaning Rome newspaper that Berlusconi detests, invited women to express their anger, and some 100,000 responded in less than a month.

Besides posting irate comments on the paper's Web site, many sent in photos of themselves, fully clothed and in such poses as stirring pots on the stove, working in office cubicles or holding babies. Many scrawled across their photos: "Mr. Premier, I'm not at your disposal."
    Then there is also "Il Corpo delle Donne" (The Body of Women), a pass-the-word cult YouTube video seen by nearly 1 million people.

A Milan businesswoman, Lorella Zanardo, spliced together snippets of some of the saucier scenes of sexy women known as "veline" (veh-LEE-neh) lifted from Berlusconi-owned and state TV networks. The name comes from the term for the thin strips of paper on which propaganda dispatches were written under Benito Mussolini, and the show's name, "Striscia le notizie" refers to news flashes.

When Zanardo takes the 25-minute video around to schools, she asks girls what they want to be someday. "The most popular calling for girls 16 or 17 years old is to be a 'velina,'" said Zanardo.

In "Videocracy," cameras roll at a shopping mall where crowds of eager parents and grandparents egg on skittish young women at annual "veline" tryouts.

Bindi blames the premier in large part. "Berlusconi has become the interpreter, the facilitator, the shaper of this culture," she says.

Berlusconi has been unapologetic about his fondness for attractive women and the marital troubles they have caused him. His wife, Veronica Lario, herself a former starlet, is divorcing him, and her publicly expressed indignation that he tapped starlets to run for European Parliament seats forced all but one of them to drop out.

"Shameless trash in the name of power," said Lario.

She also berated him for attending the 18th birthday party of a model from Naples last spring.

Italy's unusual blend of sex and politics didn't begin with Berlusconi. Twenty years ago it catapulted Ilona Staller, the former porn-star known as Cicciolina, into Parliament. But Berlusconi and his media empire have taken this mix to a more systematic, mass-cultural level.

Still, Berlusconi remains highly popular, and so do the onscreen veline.
    They are fixtures of the most popular prime time slot, a parody of a newscast in which two young women, one blonde, one brunette and both in hot pants and shirts open almost to the navel, plop themselves on the desk of the show's anchors — two men in suits. They are mostly silent, except when it comes time to hawk products.

Bindi notes that Italy's relatively low rate of women in jobs, and its generous early retirement system, give people ample time to watch TV.
    Says Zanardo: "I don't think Berlusconi had a strategy to sedate" women, but "TV does drug women who watch it five, six hours a day."

"All the people who watch a lot of TV vote for him, especially women in the 50-to-70 age range," Zanardo told The Associated Press in an interview.
    As for Noemi Letizia, whose birthday party Berlusconi attended, she is said to harbor hopes of getting into politics.

'"Daddy' Silvio will take care of that," she was quoted as telling a newspaper.

---

the 73-year-old premier phoned in and zinged her on the air, saying: "You are always more beautiful than intelligent."
    Constant arrogance like this is really an invitation to be popped in the face sooner or later. I'm surprised it took so long.