Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Abusing the ability to modify posts

sounds good!

I see a new thread and am intrigued, so I check it out.

But this one is like a two-handed daisy chain with no money shot.

I'll be bypassing it in the future.

If y'all took this to PMs (without an audience) it would be over in 3 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    Now where's the entertainment in that? Until Curb or 30 Rock cranks up, I'm not switching channels quite yet...

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    Well said.

That's what should have happened, since it was so obvious from the start who the "one member in particular" is .

It's boring, petty been-there-done-that-many-times-before. And if it's all just a game, even more so.

Neither of you is going to win .

"...disturbing..."
    "...conciliatory..."

Nil all.

It was suggested by a moderator that if we have an issue with the way someone is posting, rather than polluting another thread, a separate thread should be opened in Forum Issues.

The beauty of classifying discussions into threads and categories is that if you don't like a particular thread, for any reason, you simply don't ever have to open it up. Problem solved.

As far as everyone knowing who "that member" is, remember you are a regular here. There are thousands upon thousands of visitors to this forum every day that have no clue about the regular cast of characters here, and frankly don't care. The vast majority won't even be reading this thread...and if you look at "active members" you know that at any given time there are usually 10 or fewer members present.

There isn't lot of construction news happening. The exchanges between me and fabrizio may have annoyed some ( again, just go to another thread and read about whatever you like), but for others it was probably the most lively thing going on this forum yesterday.

Just ignore the threads you don't care for. I do it all the time. It's really easy.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Thumbs up

^ Agree -

Ignoring the why, I have to put my 2 in here on restrictions on editing.

If there was any way to either impliment, or just request from the guys at VB, a way to set a timer that would not remove your ability to edit after XX minutes, but possibly put a marker in the text as to what was edited (strikeout in red?) like a standard document revision.

This would preclude the need to quote a controvercial post in its entirety to "preserve" the points that the respondee took issue with.

Deletion of posts should also be limited to a certain time span, but able to be petitioned by PM'ing a mod in an effort to prevent further strife. One member here did just that to their own post to try to stem the tide of any further bad-blood, but we won't say who they were because that would ruin EVERYTHING!!!!!!

maybe.

An admin (Alonzo) tried to delete my posts which were on topic and non aggressive. He then banned me. Twice. I think being able to amend the posts like that should be a no-go.

He is still trying to bully me (and others) from what I can tell with PM warnings about not expressing my opinion etc. I told him to get lost. But the fact that he is still throwing his weight around after banning me twice for talking about Megrahi and Scotland was just about enough.

So its bye for now. Not sure when Ill be back.

Take care everyone, it was nice knowing you.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lineupguy View Post
    An admin (Alonzo) tried to delete my posts which were on topic and non aggressive. He then banned me. Twice. I think being able to amend the posts like that should be a no-go.

He is still trying to bully me (and others) from what I can tell with PM warnings about not expressing my opinion etc. I told him to get lost. But the fact that he is still throwing his weight around after banning me twice for talking about Megrahi and Scotland was just about enough.

Take care everyone, it was nice knowing you.
    I'm quoting this for the record, unless this post gets deleted as well. I will also send it to a Mod. lineupguy, if you decide to come back you should forward instances like this directly to Edward. Alonzo is being watched very carefully by his peers.

Much of this could be averted if the policy is "what you post stays" I have participated in a forum with this rule.... It really made me pause before hitting SUBMIT REPLY.

It has never really been a problem here before.

It may have brought up instances here and there, but never really anything to get angry over.

This website is not one that is so large that there is little communication between mods and the sites owner, so...

If you want to see dictatorial modding, try www.city-data.com/forums. I think one of us here has already done so.

When you go to a site where "piss" is considered a curse, you get guys that will delete w/o warning, lock threads in the same way, and give you infraction points (AND delete the post) if you question them.

Don't get me wrong, it has a bunch of good people there, but complaining about the mods here?

Waaaaa.

Simply making additive edits can solve much of the confusion/animus.

*edit*
    Like this.
    Last edited by Jasonik; September 17th, 2009 at 10:41 PM. Reason: example

Quote Originally Posted by lineupguy View Post
    An admin (Alonzo) tried to delete my posts which were on topic and non aggressive. He then banned me.
    Bad.

Twice. I think being able to amend the posts like that should be a no-go.
    Agreed.

Is this true, Alonzo?

Last edited by ablarc; September 18th, 2009 at 06:43 PM.

No, Ablarc, all his accusations were false. I did not delete any of his posts. I only edited one post to remove the quote of the post which immediately preceded it. As we all know this is forum policy. The rest of his post was left untouched.

In my PMs to lineupguy I simply advised him that he should refrain from insults and foul language. The accusations of anything else are a fabrication.

Since lineupguy first broke the rules I kept the moderators and Ed up to date on all my actions in the moderator forum.

All righty, then.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast