Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Abusing the ability to modify posts

Banned Member

Lineupguy's actions weren't quite as innocent as he presented to the forum community.

Quote Originally Posted by stache View Post
    I'm quoting this for the record, unless this post gets deleted as well. I will also send it to a Mod. lineupguy, if you decide to come back you should forward instances like this directly to Edward. Alonzo is being watched very carefully by his peers.
    And Stache is being watched very carefully by his nurses.

^ Goody. Rebecca returns to Sunnybrook Farm to spread more sunshine.

Oh, the sunshine has been spread... I'm just basking in it.

Quote Originally Posted by stache View Post
    I'm quoting this for the record, unless this post gets deleted as well. I will also send it to a Mod. lineupguy, if you decide to come back you should forward instances like this directly to Edward. Alonzo is being watched very carefully by his peers.

Banned Member

Despite the fact that I find all of this downright funny, you boys are going to get separated if you can't be have.

Love-

Mom

interesting thread -- of course this issue comes up on all forums.

i like the forums that have the software that gives you a window of time to modify before it kicks into didactically noting every change. its sympathetic to us humans. not that i necessarily mind changes being noted, but sometimes you just push a button too quickly.

however, editing should not repeat not be abused during heavy traffic periods of real time running discussion. in those cases the changes are 100% absolutely not clear, whoever does it you're cheating and you know it (the royal you that is, no one in particular).

when you look back over running discussions on pages with lots of editing you dont even have to read them, you know they will have gotten silly and likely are a waste of time.

Very true.
    Just now Fabrizio modified one post 4 times, after I had already responded It's like discussing something in a time warp, you have to keep going in circles....checking new posts and rechecking other recent ones too.

Last edited by Fabrizio; October 12th, 2009 at 06:46 PM. Reason: oh spelling or something.
    He's still at it...plus we get sarcastic explanations as an added bonus to the whole compulsion.

The one about it "being a woman's prerogative" was a classic.

Midtown: please note that only 2 posts overlap yours. 1 for a minute and one for 5. I corrected for clarity as it seemed my post about Anita Dunn and preceeding posts seemed not to be clear to you. As I am working, I held the window open not even knowing if there had been a response in the meantime. I am working. I am in my office, not at home, I am writting quickly at times. There is a phone and other disractions. Unfortunately I can't always be concentrated while I'm posting and must go back, otherwise it's a mess. Posting separate posts, that is revising the above post, seems like a bad idea too. I do understand that it can be bothersome and should not happen but please know that the motive has been for clarity.

And this is going to sound unbelievable but: this forum is the only place that I express myself in English on a regular basis outside of the occasional phone call or email. So problems with sentence construction especially are always problematic for me and result in me rereading and going back for corrections.

FWIW, I'll edit posts for the 5 minutes up until the "last edited" thing appears because for whatever reason my brain finds errors more easily once I see how my words look in the final, posted format. It just ain't the same doing proofreading on the "reply to thread" page, where paragraph spacing and whatnot looks completely different.

Also, the petty and vindictive tone that is spoiling certain threads has gotta stop. Saying to me, "well you don't HAVE to read our bickering, you know" when I wish to learn some substance on those issues and instead get bogged down in retaliation BS doesn't cut it. It's friggin lame.

...and how many threads would you say that is, kz? ONE thread? Yeah. Let's keep things in perspective, please.

And this is going to sound unbelievable but: this forum is the only place that I express myself in English on a regular basis outside of the occasional phone call or email. So problems with sentence construction especially are always problematic for me and result in me rereading and going back for corrections.
    This is completely fair and understandable. However, it seems that it's usually to add whole new sentences, which is a totally different thing.

Quote Originally Posted by kz1000ps View Post
    FWIW, I'll edit posts for the 5 minutes up until the "last edited" thing appears because for whatever reason my brain finds errors more easily once I see how my words look in the final, posted format. It just ain't the same doing proofreading on the "reply to thread" page, where paragraph spacing and whatnot looks completely different.

Also, the petty and vindictive tone that is spoiling certain threads has gotta stop. Saying to me, "well you don't HAVE to read our bickering, you know" when I wish to learn some substance on those issues and instead get bogged down in retaliation BS doesn't cut it. It's friggin lame.
    You can also click 'preview post' which is next to the 'submit reply' button. This shows you what your post will look like but without actually posting it.

Banned Member

Default Yo momma!

I think it might be beneficial if we simply set up a "YO MOMMA..." thread somewhere.

I envision it as a place where we can take our frustrations with a particular poster outside of a thread discussion. You go to the "YO MOMMA..." thread and just post with a prefix of @_____
    __________________________________________________ _________

For Example:

@BrooklynRider

Yo mama's so fat she hoola-hooped the Super Bowl!

__________________________________________________ _________

Let's just make this the single thread where we can toss out the insults, which allows other threads to continue unscathed by rancor.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast