Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Derek Jeter

That is because I inadvertantly omitted several key paragraphs while editing the text onto wired. In fairness to me, NY Time doesn't make is easy to do this anymore

Anyway, here is a portion of the omitted text:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the third inning, Jeter, having drawn a walk off Roy Halladay, tried to take an extra base on an infield out. Third base had been left uncovered when the Blue Jays put a shift on for Jason Giambi. It was a classic Jeter hustle play. Huckaby tried one, too, taking off for third and arriving just in time to leap for a throw from the first baseman, Carlos Delgado, that was high and slightly behind him.

Huckaby’s knee and shin guard landed on Jeter’s left shoulder, which was separated, putting him out for 39 games. Huckaby was quickly criticized in the New York news media and by a couple of Jeter’s teammates for making a reckless play.

Back from the hospital the next day, Jeter said little to dispute this version and dismissed Huckaby’s claim to have left a concerned message on Jeter’s cellphone the previous night. “He doesn’t have my number,” Jeter said.

The tempest soon subsided, Jeter recovered, and he was hitting over .300 when the Yankees returned to Toronto in July. By then, Huckaby was back in the minors with the Jays’ International League club.

He was on the road in Columbus, of all places, then the home of the Yankees’ Class AAA Clippers, when he picked up his hotel room phone and shared the result of a conciliatory visit to the Yankees’ clubhouse before the final game of that season-opening series. As Huckaby recalled in the SportsNet article, Jeter “wasn’t very receptive. I’ll just leave it at that.”

But in that July 2003 phone conversation, Huckaby was more forthcoming, making it clear he was bewildered and bothered by Jeter’s refusal to recognize not only an absence of malice on his part, but also the mandatory nature of his defensive effort, especially for someone of such fragile major league status.

When he spoke to Jeter that day, Huckaby added, he did not apologize for what happened at third base but did wish him an expeditious recovery and waited for some acknowledgment — a nod of approval, a tap on the shoulder. Instead, Jeter, by his own account, said merely, “O.K.” Huckaby turned and walked out, feeling many prying Yankees eyes upon him.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/19/sp...play.html?_r=0
    Continue reading the main story
    Continue reading the main story
    “I figured by then, the hoopla was over, he must have looked at it on film,” Huckaby said, recalling both the play and the encounter in the clubhouse.

I see. Still not a big deal even if it is all true. Star player gets hurt; teammates grumble about "recklessness"; news media amplifies this (because that is what they do). Sorry if Huckaby thought it was unfair -- maybe it was -- but I don't remember a hoopla and recall the play as a completely unintended accident.

The world has kept spinning, somehow...

I hope the weather holds out. This is so sweet.

'Voice of God' to exit with Derek Jeter

Updated: September 23, 2014, 3:05 PM ET
    Associated Press

NEW YORK -- When Derek Jeter plays his final game at Yankee Stadium, Bob Sheppard will exit along with the New York Yankees captain.

Nicknamed "The Voice of God" for his stylish, elegant introductions, Sheppard was the ballpark's public address announcer from April 1951 until Sept. 7, 2007. Before Sheppard took ill, Jeter asked Sheppard to record his introduction, which has been used when the Yankees captain walked to the plate for home games.

As Derek Jeter plays out his final season in Yankee pinstripes, ESPNNewYork.com will be there every step of the way.
    The Jeet Index Cap Map

"He's as important as any player that's been here. He's part of the experience," Jeter said after Monday night's win over the Baltimore Orioles. "Part of the experience of Yankee Stadium is Bob Sheppard's voice."

Sheppard debuted for the Yankees on April 17, 1951, and worked his final game on Sept. 5, 2007. He missed the 2007 AL division series because of a bronchial infection, ending his streak of 121 consecutive postseason games at Yankee Stadium. He was replaced by Jim Hall, his longtime sub, and Paul Olden took over when the Yankees moved to the new ballpark in 2009.
    Sheppard announced his retirement after the 2009 season and died in July 2010 at age 99.

Jeter, the Yankees' 40-year-old captain, is likely to play his final home game Thursday night, since New York probably will miss the playoffs.
    He said he had gone to Sheppard with the idea of the recording.

"That's the only voice I'd heard growing up, and that's the only voice I wanted to hear when I was announced at home," Jeter said. "And fortunately he agreed to do it."
    Recordings of Sheppard are used to welcome fans to Yankee Stadium at times, but Jeter's introduction will be its last in-game airing.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...w-york-yankees

Copyright 2014 by The Associated Press

Forum Veteran

D-Rob: greatest blown save in Yankees history!

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

This guy's whole career is like a fairy tale.

Hollywood couldn't have written a better story. The only thing that would have topped yesterday's ending is him hitting a home run that knocked out the stadium lights, 'The Natural' style.

He did look like he was going to lose it a little a couple of times but as usual he managed to keep it together. He also made the decision yesterday to play his last game as short stop last night, but to still play the last stand in a different capacity in Boston, which I liked.

It was such a happy atmosphere at the end of the game I kept forgetting they didn't make the playoffs.

As long-suffering Mets fan, I always admired the guy, and I'm glad they won that last home game.

Watched a bit of the last game, saw all the highlights, and I think this was the most pleasant game NY ever played in Boston.

Now he wants to make babies

Starting a family Derek Jeter’s next goal

In the immediate future, however, Jeter is just going to relax.

BY Bill Price
    NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
    Friday, September 26, 2014, 1:52 AM

JASON SZENES/EPADerek Jeter’s family, including mother Dorothy (c.) with nephew Jalen and father Dr. Charles Jeter (r.) watch along with Jeter’s girlfriend Hannah Davis (l.) as Jeter celebrates his game-winning hit.
    With the end of his career just a few days away, Derek Jeter said he is looking forward to some time off — but not for long.
    Jeter, whose career will end Sunday at Fenway Park, told NBC’s Brian Williams he’s looking forward to having some free time, but is also ready to start a family, something he felt he couldn’t do while playing for the Yankees.

“I have the utmost respect for these guys that are able to do it — you know, missing their kids’ birthdays and not being able to see them play Tee ball or summer ball and missing a lot of time,” he told Williams. “So it’s another reason why I feel as though now’s the time. I mean, I want to have a family. Who knows when it’s gonna be? But I look forward to it.”

In the immediate future, however, Jeter is just going to relax. “I’ve been on a schedule for — you know, I've been doing this professionally for 23 years,” Jeter said. “And, you know, I’ve been playing baseball since I’ve been 4 or 5. So I really haven’t had much time off. I’m not complaining. But I’m looking forward to having some time off.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.1953568

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011