Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Derek Jeter

Just got home. What did I miss?

Only after looking around on MLB.com at the highlights and interviews, etc., for about ten minutes did I learn that the Yankees also won that game.

Jeter is magnificent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Ortiz

David Ortiz (Big Popi) got mad, lost it the other night at a Red Sox game in Boston, charged after the pitcher and began swinging at him. He was ousted from the game. It was a night of mayhem, as some of the players just weren't happy campers that night.

yin and yang

Congrats to Jeter on this milestone. 3K is just amazing.

Does anyone think he can hit 3,500?

Why is there a *@()#)^#*! Red Sox story in this thread?
    Last edited by ZippyTheChimp; July 11th, 2011 at 05:29 PM.

As magnificent as he was, right now Jeter is a .270 hitter with no power and an avg at best obp. If things don't change, they are going to have to move him from the leadoff spot

A fan's view.

What a roar. Well deserved too. Reminded me of the Mets win in '86. Bet the stadium rocked.

I'm almost inclined to call him Mr. Baseball, & me & about 5 million other women wouldn't mind congratulating him personally. He not only gets his 3000th at home, it's a homer, plus he went 5 for 5. On top of that, he's a great sprtsman that anyone can admire. There are many athletes that can learn a lesson in class from him. Not to mention that million dollar smile.

Quote Originally Posted by eddhead View Post
    As magnificent as he was, right now Jeter is a .270 hitter with no power and an avg at best obp. If things don't change, they are going to have to move him from the leadoff spot
    No, ed, he still is magnificent, quite apart from the numbers and his spot in lineup.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by eddhead View Post
    Plus his image has really gone down the tubes lately, first after he snubbed his supposed idol's funeral (Bob Sheppard), then squeezed the Yankees to grossly overpay for his new contract, and now after (1) he snubbed the All-Star game and (2) didn't give the kid anything who gave him the 3000th hit home run ball for free and is getting hit with a $14,000 tax bill. Jeter doesn't have the same shine he used to

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    Plus his image has really gone down the tubes lately,
    I wonder what professional athlete has combined this much success, fame, wealth with as much a positive public image as Jeter.

And done it in a place where so many have crashed themselves against the rocks.

Those that think his image has "gone down the tubes" probably never liked him.

Quote Originally Posted by hbcat View Post
    No, ed, he still is magnificent, quite apart from the numbers and his spot in lineup.
    That sounds nice, but it is not going to help the Yankees win a pennant this year.

I have a couple of other issues with him as well, the big one being his refusal to give up playing ss when A-Rod came over (sorry, but A-Rod was the better SS), and not volunteering to move out of the lead-off spot as his skills have declined. On balance though I have great admiration and respect for him.

ARod would not have lasted long at SS. He was already getting too big for the position. Look how battered he's gotten at third. Moving over probably added years to his career.

That is true. But it is also retrospective; no one could have known at the time that A-Rod would have the physical problems he has today. Also, I want to be clear. I am a Jeter fan. I just don't happen to think he is helping the team today. Maybe he can turn it around.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast