Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 19 Park Place

Ismael Leyva Architects’ Skinny Residential Tower Set To Rise in Tribeca

by Nick Miller

Rendering of the Tribeca Royale (left) and the construction site viewed from AN’s offices on Murray Street.
    (Courtesy Ismael Levya Architects; Nick Miller / AN)

Back in October 2010, ground was broken at 19 Park Place—which also has frontage on Murray Street directly across from AN‘s office. As Curbed reported nearly three years ago, the 25-foot-wide site was set to be the home of the Tribeca Royale, a futuristic, 21-story condominium tower designed by New York-based Skinny and developed by ABN Reality. Signage on the construction site and a press release that landed in our mailbox today assure that the project is still going forward as planned, but a peek out of the office window confirms that progress on this Jetsonian tower has been moving at a stone-aged pace.

(Courtesy Ismael Levya Architects)

Ismael Leyva Architects’ design fits 24 residences into a 292-foot tower on the narrow site. The upper 11 floors contain full-floor units, with duplexes on the 7th and 8th floors. Every unit will feature windows on Park as well as Murray. The 53,000-square-foot project also includes a double height lobby, gym, residents’ lounges, and ample terraces. “Our goal with the Tribeca Royale was to create a state-of-the-art residential building that showcases unique urban design given the constraints of the site, while efficiently maximizing space,” said Ismael Leyva in a statement. “This design offers unique residences in a very desirable downtown location”

While AN eagerly awaits its shinny new neighbor, it seams like construction crews have been doing more digging than building over the past few years. A worker on site confirmed that problems with the foundation have been the cause of the delay, but with activity on the site seemingly never ceasing, one can assume that something must be going up soon.

19 Park Place construction site (Nick Miller/AN)

View of 19 Park Place for the AN office (Nick Miller/AN)

http://blog.archpaper.com/wordpress/archives/63169

This is yet another sliver tower with balconies from Levya Architects: futuristic design, low quality materials & construction methods, the look is flashy yet trashy. I don't know for sure, but I read somewhere balconies have some sort 'value added' factor where a significant amount a 'sellable' square footage can be added it each: sort of a profitable real estate development "loop hole".

This is the type of firm that gets work more for their ability to squeeze out maximum return on the given 'zoning envelope' as opposed to their ability to do what I call 'fine art' architecture.

All things considered this one is 'good enough' and certainly could be a lot worse: a Kaufman/McSam hotel for example.

Chainsaw Massacre

All things considered this one is 'good enough' and certainly could be a lot worse: a Kaufman/McSam hotel for example.
    Seriously?! Let's see...
    street wall breaking setback: check
    Big blank walls: check
    Nearly tasteless design: check
    Doesn't play nice with it's neighbors: check
    And if the glass is as bad as on his last...

I don't see anything better about this than a Kaufman/McSam, other than not
    being built in the garment district, saving that area from yet another massive indignity.

Quote Originally Posted by scumonkey View Post
    Seriously?! Let's see...

I don't see anything better about this than a Kaufman/McSam, other than not
    being built in the garment district, saving that area from yet another massive indignity.
    Well, in my opinion this is quite a bit better than a Kaufman/McSam sliver hotel: this building is "flashy, yet trashy" whereas
    a Kaufman/McSam hotel is typically 'boring & trashy' - yet they are still IMHO, "good enough".

You either have higher aesthetic standards than I; or you evaluate the 'goodness / value ' of a building on the basis of an entirely different set of criteria - I suspect the ladder.

I personally do not hold 'buildings' in the same regard as I do the 'fine arts' of sculpture/painting: perhaps that is where our evaluations diverge.

BTW - I say "trashy" in the sense of being kind of 'cheap looking' - for real estate development, that's perfectly acceptable, unfortunate but acceptable....
    Last edited by infoshare; June 11th, 2013 at 04:30 PM.

Well, in my opinion this is quite a bit better than a Kaufman/McSam sliver hotel...
    Considering that you have stated in the past that this building looks fine to you...

and
    You either have higher aesthetic standards than I; or you evaluate the 'goodness / value ' of a building on the basis of an entirely different set of criteria - I suspect the ladder.
    I have to say your opinion is one of the few on this board that i regularly vehemently disagree with.
    After reading so many of your positive appraisals for what most would consider the drek of what's going up in this town, I have come to the conclusion that YES: I (as well as most people here it appears) must have higher aesthetic standards than you...(he he)

Quote Originally Posted by scumonkey View Post
    I have to say your opinion is one of the few on this board that i regularly vehemently disagree with.
    Ditto, although unfortunately half the postings are incomprehensible.

Quote Originally Posted by EastMillinocket View Post
    Ditto, although unfortunately half the postings are incomprehensible.
    The best posts on these forums are from the 'intrepid construction watchers' who provide photos, graphics and 'hard news reportage' - particularly because those are never "incomprehensible".

The various other commentary & discussion does sometime make for a bit of diversion and variety: but other than tracking nyc real estate, architecture and infrastructure - the pickings on these forum discussions are slim, to put it kindly.

I'm doing my best to achieve a high level of esoteric punctuation.

In TriBeCa, Squeezing In Some Condo Pizazz

By C. J. HUGHES

August 9, 2013

At three blocks between Broadway and Greenwich Street in TriBeCa, Park Place is a wisp of a road. But it has shown it can make big news.

Many New Yorkers first heard of the spot a few years ago, because of a clash that erupted over plans to build an Islamic center at Nos. 45 to 51, in a former coat store and a Con Ed substation.

Opponents were furious that the institution, called the Park51 Community Center, would be three blocks from the site where terrorists who were Muslim took down the World Trade Center.

Supporters argued that the center’s dedication to tolerance and education would work to help heal the wounds inflicted by the attack, and perhaps undo harmful stereotypes about Islam.

Then, when plans for the full center were put off, all the hubbub went quiet. The site has been used as a prayer space for the last two years, and the developer is considering turning it into condominiums. A Four Seasons hotel-condominium is being planned for a site nearby.

And now a new 21-story condo, to be called Tribeca Royale, has been refocusing attention on the area. When completed in the fall of 2014, it is expected to be the first to endow Park Place with opulent finishes and envelope-pushing architecture.

To rise at No. 19, between Broadway and Church Street and a block from the Park51 site, the building will contain 24 apartments. About half will take up an entire floor and run through the block, meaning their back walls will be near Murray Street. The full-floor versions have a bedroom and three full baths.

A head-turning design from the architect Ismael Leyva, this tall, skinny and shiny building may win points for boldness on a block with many brick and brownstone low-rises. It could also be appreciated for making do with so little space.

Tribeca Royale’s lot, which is squeezed between a camping supplier called Tent & Trails and an office advertising “holistic dentistry,” is tiny, just 25 feet across. And it may feel even tighter, as metal braces have been inserted between the walls of the two adjacent buildings, as if to pry them apart.

Mr. Leyva, who focuses almost exclusively on condos in New York, has worked with narrow spaces before. One of his buildings, Icon, a 122-unit condo at 785 Eighth Avenue in Hell’s Kitchen, has 43 stories shoehorned into a 28-foot-wide lot.

The space available for Tribeca Royale “was very small,” Mr. Leyva said, “so we tried to make it very elegant.” Even though the apartments have a railroad-style layout, the generous use of glass and terraces at the ends ensures that they won’t seem gloomy, he explained.

Kitchen counters will be quartz, bathroom cabinets teak; windows will stretch from floor to ceiling. Terraces that will line both the front and back facades will be oval in shape, giving them the appearance of petals on a branch.

The basement will have a 1,500-square-foot fitness center, and part of the second floor a shared outdoor space.

The building, whose foundation was being poured on a recent afternoon, is being developed by ABN Realty, whose projects in New York include the Chelsea Royale, a 20-unit condo on West 24th Street. Dr. Chun Ka Luk, a onetime medical researcher who went into real estate in the 1980s, heads the company.

He said he was taking over the project from the developer Nancy Luk, his wife, who died in 2011 of a brain aneurysm. Yet Ms. Luk’s presence lives on. The “N” in ABN, the company created for this project, stands for Nancy, Dr. Luk explained, adding that the “A” is for Albert, a son, and the “B” for Bernice, a daughter. Also, the second-floor outdoor space in the new building will be named Nancy’s Garden.

With development costs of $20 million and with its loans in place, the building awaits approval of its offering plan, Dr. Luk said; marketing is to begin in a few months, though no broker has yet been chosen.

Pricing is still up in the air, but Dr. Luk said units would most likely cost about $2,000 a square foot, or about $2.8 million for the 1,400-square-foot full-floor units. That compares favorably with about $3,500 a foot for flashy new condos nearby like 56 Leonard Street.

“We are trying to be realistic; this is a neighborhood in transition,” he said about an area with several vacant storefronts.

Indeed, the area’s many construction fences and sidewalk sheds attest to a makeover. This spring, Silverstein Properties announced that work would begin work in the fall on a Four Seasons hotel-condo at 30 Park Place, across from Tribeca Royale, on a long-stalled site where a foundation is in the ground. Financing is finally in place for the $930 million project, according to the developer, which is based two blocks away at Seven World Trade Center.

The building, designed by Robert A. M. Stern, will probably make its own statement. It will measure 926 feet, eclipsing the nearby 792-foot Woolworth Building, which is adding condos at its crown, as well as the 870-foot New York by Gehry, a gleaming rental at 8 Spruce Street.

Though Tribeca Royale clocks in at just 292 feet, Dr. Luk isn’t worried about being overshadowed, by his neighbors, especially the Four Seasons project. “If anything,” he said, “it will make the neighborhood classier and nicer.” And, perhaps, cement a new kind of legacy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/11/re...ref=realestate

Dead here?

I hope so. This idiotic building is completely out of character with the area.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast