Thread: Visiting New York for the first time

Default Visiting New York for the first time

Hi,
    My girlfriend and I will be visiting New York City for our first time and we're 21 and 19.

We will be staying in a hostel(can't afford much better than that)
    at around Varet St, Brooklyn around the end of November.
    We were recommend that hostel since its close to the subway system and easy to get downtown.

Okay,
    We're from Toronto and we have a bit of street sense but what we are majorly worried about is getting robbed or killed..
    We need to know what areas are safe to visit and what advice should we listen to?

Wish we were a bigger group going to new york but it's just the 2 of us staying for 3 nights.

Thank you so much and can't wait to visit.

Welcome to the forum.
    Big groups in New York SUCK. From your point of view and from ours. Be happy it's only the two of you.

In a group of two you will move through the city efficiently and without looking like a shmuck. You won't have to spend time on anything you aren't really interested in. Entering the subway will not require you to wait for 15 other people to work their way through a turnstyle. Or finish their lunch. Or use the bathrooms.

You won't get annoyed stares from New Yorkers who are waiting for your big group to get the hell out of the way.
    Big groups tend to isolate you from locals. The group moves through the city like a giant ungainly bubble.
    Man, I wouldn't visit NY in a large group if they paid ME.

Now...get ready for you and your girlfriend to have an amazing time! For heaven's sake, don't worry about getting robbed or killed...we're a relatively low crime city and after you're here for a day those anxieties will evaporate as you become preoccupied with rushing around and seeing things. Practically all of Manhattan is safe to walk around at night without getting paranoid. One thing is certain: your impression of New York from movies or TV will be challenged by a very different reality.

Have fun!

Thanks for your post buddy, made me feel a bit better but I heard the area in Brooklyn we are staying is 'rough' around the edges.

I wish we could find someone in New York that would take us in for a fee, Someplace safe. We're quiet people and don't drink nor smoke and don't stay out late and are polite.

We're Canadians haha

There's nothing wrong with the neighborhood the hostel is located in, but from the tone of your posts ("majorly worried about getting robbed or killed"), I think you might be uncomfortable walking at night from the subway to the hostel. It's generally an industrial area, and the streets might be empty, especially with the weather getting colder.

You stated that the NY Loft Hostel was recommended because it is near the subway and close to downtown.

If you mean downtown Manhattan and plan to spend most or all of your time there, why don't you book at a Manhattan hostel?

Here's a list of hostels in NYC. The first one is right across the street from a police station house.

http://www.hostels.com/us.ny.ny.html

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    There's nothing wrong with the neighborhood the hostel is located in, but from the tone of your posts ("majorly worried about getting robbed or killed"), I think you might be uncomfortable walking at night from the subway to the hostel. It's generally an industrial area, and the streets might be empty, especially with the weather getting colder.

You stated that the NY Loft Hostel was recommended because it is near the subway and close to downtown.

If you mean downtown Manhattan and plan to spend most or all of your time there, why don't you book at a Manhattan hostel?

Here's a list of hostels in NYC. The first one is right across the street from a police station house.

http://www.hostels.com/us.ny.ny.html
    How much you think it'd be to catch a cab from the hostel to the subway there and back? From that location

Yeah the hostel we're staying at is pretty much all we can afford and its like the only one thats like available.
    Since we'll be staying there around Thanksgiving and black friday!

Thank you for the advice :P
    Wish we could find someone to take us in instead

Quote Originally Posted by MidtownGuy View Post
    Welcome to the forum.
    Big groups in New York SUCK. From your point of view and from ours. Be happy it's only the two of you.

In a group of two you will move through the city efficiently and without looking like a shmuck. You won't have to spend time on anything you aren't really interested in. Entering the subway will not require you to wait for 15 other people to work their way through a turnstyle. Or finish their lunch. Or use the bathrooms.

You won't get annoyed stares from New Yorkers who are waiting for your big group to get the hell out of the way.
    Big groups tend to isolate you from locals. The group moves through the city like a giant ungainly bubble.
    Man, I wouldn't visit NY in a large group if they paid ME.

Now...get ready for you and your girlfriend to have an amazing time! For heaven's sake, don't worry about getting robbed or killed...we're a relatively low crime city and after you're here for a day those anxieties will evaporate as you become preoccupied with rushing around and seeing things. Practically all of Manhattan is safe to walk around at night without getting paranoid. One thing is certain: your impression of New York from movies or TV will be challenged by a very different reality.

Have fun!
    SOOOOO True, listen to Midtown guy, Zippy and Brooklynrider among others, I think i replied to your post on City Data site.

We had the same questions before we came to the city, and they set us straight. Just have fun and just use commen sense. You pretty much have to really try to get in a bad situation in the city.

We went to Harlem for a day, its not scary, at least around the main drag, its such a neat place, it has awsome character to it.

Go and explore the city.

News Update..
    Didn't know people rented out rooms to visitors.
    I've met a really nice lady by 110 St & Broadway by the university that'll be giving me a place for $70 a night.
    Don't even have to give a deposit.. she'll keep the place for when we are there and we just pay per day.
    We're really happy as thats kind of a better area and a great view.
    Thanks all for the help, next step is to find a map of new york city with all the things to view!

Excellent news! good luck and have fun! keep us posted.