Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: NYC skyline and Shanghai skyline comparisons

Quote Originally Posted by zupermaus View Post
    Am I the only one that finds this a hellish vision? The green space is obviously a good idea, though one has to be careful hwo one arranges it within a city. I guess there is onyl so much you can do when a couple of hundred of poor 'farmers' move from a zillion villages into a coupel of dozen cities...

All told, Shanghai/China seem to be to New York/the US what NYC/the US were to, say London/the UK in 1910...

The diference is that the Chiense do not have Beaux Arts or Art Deco to look forward to.

Am I the only one that finds this a hellish vision?
    I don't know about vision but i do know that living around construction can be "hellish"!
    All that construction at one time must be a nightmare.

Clear day today, shot a few images from our new apartment in Xuhui district looking NE towards People's Square vicinity and Pudong in distance. Apologies for the slightly ridiculous distortion, tried out Microsoft (ICE) for the first time and stitched about 20 images together.

In my experience, Shanghai does not have the density of highrises that one might think from the number of buildings here. By this I mean, because the majority of the tall buildings are recent (a maximum of 15 years old), they follow typical contemporary development schemes for a large parcel, i.e., for commercial, there is generally a single tower rising from a large base (with upscale shopping mall and restaurant chains) which fully occupies the lot, and residential will have two towers or more removed from the street and set in a private gated garden-park with some water features. I can think of no new highrises that hold the street edge or are built to the party wall of an adjacent tower as in NYC. This creates the sense, when walking about that there is just not the same density of towers like in Manhattan. Yes, in other areas of Shanghai, the old districts do have tremendous density at street level with as many as 30 or 40 different establishments in a given block. Though, most new highrises anywhere do the same thing as in Shanghai - too much space around them, which is easily and often adapted to expanding road networks.
    Last edited by asg; May 12th, 2010 at 10:09 AM.

Shanghai is a marvelous sea of small high-rises topped off by supertalls. NYC should follow this model instead of suburban sprawl.

However, the only problem is that the new buildings look rather banal in many cases.
    Last edited by futurecity; May 12th, 2010 at 06:43 PM.

Uh huh, because in NYC we don't build up, we build out. Okie dokie.

Ditto Okie Dokie.
    Quote Originally Posted by futurecity View Post
    NYC should follow this model instead of suburban sprawl.
    Brooklyn: No supertalls at all. Number 2 behind Manhattan as the most dense large urban area in the US. Twice the density of SF. Three times that of Boston. Welcome to the burbs.

Sorry, I was referring to the metro area sprawl... given that shanghai is probably like this all the way into the suburbs, not just their city.

Since Shanghai is 2x the size of NY, I can understand it though.

Hmmm..... well, compared to London, it may seem hellish since London is much less dense and greener, with all those parks and urban villages.

However, Shanghai has futurism and organic architecture to look foward to, which ain't so bad. This new architecture far surpasses most of what we have in the west. Shanghai tower for example. Also, Shanghai is full of old buildings that even London would envy.

Quote Originally Posted by futurecity View Post
    Sorry, I was referring to the metro area sprawl... given that shanghai is probably like this all the way into the suburbs, not just their city.

Since Shanghai is 2x the size of NY, I can understand it though.
    Define your terms.
    List of largest metro areas

This is a pretty lenient definition of a "skyscraper" ...

The city says it now has more than 4,000 skyscrapers - buildings 18 stories or higher - far more than New York, according to Emporis

That's always been the catch.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCity View Post
    Sorry, but I am still calling this info a bluff.

1. Both of those links contradict each other.
    2. I know someone from Shanghai who lives in NY now. He said "There is no way Shanghai is as dense as NY".

I am not buying it.

Take a long look at this pic, bear in mind the tv tower on the river bend (top right) is over 1500ft tall.
    This covers twice the area of built up Manhattan - and alot (the Pudong half for one) is still out of shot.

I would agree with your friend though about the density of towers in the city cetre, Shanghai is thick with skyscrapers but they are piecemeal and scattered throughout the centre, alot of which is carpetted with old lowrise buildings, or art deco midrises (the russet tile roofs is what makes Shanghai appear brown from the air). What Shanghai has up its sleeve (as with other Chinese cities) is that the suburbs are where much of the highrises are, and stretch for miles. Instead of suburban lowrise sprawl that surrounds a North American highrise CBD, what China is building for the millions joining the cities every year are highrise apartments, built on the Hong Kong New Towns model.
    Last edited by zupermaus; May 30th, 2010 at 09:30 PM.

...and since this view was taken (showing just a fraction of what's above), over a thousand highrises have been added. Views like this are exceptionally rare due to the smog:

^Also note all the old buildings below the towers are nearer the centre, and the density of towers actually increases the further out it goes.
    Last edited by zupermaus; May 30th, 2010 at 09:31 PM.

And only two (maybe) decent "high rises" seen in the entire shot ^ .

If any of the others were built in NYC we'd be screaming our heads off.

Why would you think they're unoccupied? This isn't Dubai we're talking about.
    I have no doubts Shanghai has more high-rises than New York.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast