Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NYC skyline and Shanghai skyline comparisons

Default NYC skyline and Shanghai skyline comparisons

NYC is always rated above Shanghai
    But Shanghai has both the Pudong skyline (the one described as space-like)
    and the Puxi one on the other side of the river
    NYC has Manhattan, and none of the other boroughs really have substantial skylines
    what do you think?

Speaking for those who have never been to Shanghai, I don't know how to compare because I have no idea about these neighborhoods. Can you give us a little more to go on? Any links? I can read Chinese if you have any useful websites to show us (but posts here have to be in English).

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Shanghai is a relatively newcomer as far as skyscrapers are concern. Before 1995, Shanghai did not have an appreciable skyline.

Of course, since then it has (along with quite a few other Chinese and Asian cities) put up a very impressive skyline at a lightning pace, even surpassing New York as far as volume and height.

This pretty much sums it up in a nutshell: New York had a much earlier start but for a few spurts in the first half of the 20th century, its pace has been pretty steady. Shanghai was late to the game but has since passed New York in numbers and height of their tallest buildings.

Shanghai's main cluster of skyscrapers in Pudong as viewed from a rooftop in the Bund is very impressive, though it is contained in an area that is comparable to downtown New York, or even smaller. You can easily walk from one end to the other. Many other buildings rise on the other side of the river, some very tall, though they are spread out. The city goes on and on for miles in every direction as far as the eye can see, with a tall building popping up here and there, and that in itself is mind blowing. But I saw nothing there that could compare to midtown New York's dense and extensive cluster of skyscrapers.

Just did a little search on Shanghai. This image seems to capture was is represented most often:

Another angle:

http://tejiendoelmundo.files.wordpre...ai-skyline.jpg

exactly, and that is what most people see - the pudong one (space-like one)
    however, if you search shanghai on wikipedia, you'll also see a puxi skyline
    that is the side people dont see, and Puxi actually has a substantial skyline
    unlike brooklyn, queens, the bronx, or staten island

There is already a great thread on Shanghai here.

^yep basically that skyline posted above is just a fraction of the bigger picture

what's missing is nearly 5000 highrises over 400ft/ 18 storeys according to the Shanghai urban Planning Bureau, all constructed within the last decade:

^and that's still missing out half the city (Pudong side of the river). For scale, the tv tower top right, on the river bend is 1535 ft tall.

Basically the highrises are needed to house a rocketing population, growing by nearly 1 million a year. 50% of the city population lives on 5% of the land.
    Last edited by zupermaus; November 19th, 2009 at 05:29 PM.

In terms of new skyscrapers, Shanghai has no peer in the world.

Projects of this level of quality and creativity, for the most part, rise only in China.

^yep dont tell me that's Emporis. It doesnt accept data that isn't in English or German (thus missing out on literally thousands of Asian skylines, not to mention tens of thousands of highrises in Sao Paulo alone). An SSC expert (Zorg, a Spanish forumer) recently tried to get alot of Chinese data published there but was refused.

Shanghai has over 4000 highrises over 400ft acc to the Shanghai urban Planning Bureau, NYC has nearly 6000 buildings listed on the Emporis site, but of any height. By height Shanghai has about double the number of highrises proper.

This is from 2004 (an extra few thousand highrises have gone up since then):
    "Shanghai, the nation's commercial capital, built 6,704 towers of 11 or more stories since 1990, city government figures for 2004 show -- 4,312 of them in the past five years. New York has 5,467 buildings of 12 stories or more, according to Emporis."
    Last edited by zupermaus; May 7th, 2010 at 11:15 AM.

Both Emporis and SSP are a joke, anyway.

As for Shanghai, I have no doubt that it is a great city. In fact, I'm pretty sure it is given what I've heard from people who have visited there, but its skyline has never "popped" for me. I love Jin Mao, but Shanghai WFC was kind of disappointing and I'm not a fan of the Shanghai Tower design - but it seems like I'm in a small minority on that one.

Projects of this level of quality and creativity, for the most part, rise only in China.
    Too bad the area below and around them sucks.

Look again at what's below the towers, its carpetted with old buildings with russet roofs (making the city appear brown from the air):

Street level pics

the city is also surprisingly green - by law x amount of people need to live in y vicinity of z amount of green space - look below the towers again:

Zupermaus: I like the pics, but they do not reflect what my comment referred to: the area below the towers in the rendering Londonlawyer posted, and to which I responded. The pics you posted reflect areas like Xin Tian Di, Nanjing Road and others, and the areas with older buildings (the russet roofed older buildings, etc., the ones from colonial days ) that we are well aware of. I have even posted on Xin Tian Di on this forum here , back in 2008, and you commented at the time, so YES I DO know what you are talking about. My comment HERE was in relation to the way the towers in post #9 relate to the ground. They appear to be rising in the middle of huge, wide highways and endless plazas, some trees plunked in there, and sterile little skywalks leading between them because the ground level looks unnavigable by a pedestrian. Nobody said Shanghai has no pedestrian areas that don't "suck", but the areas around the buildings in post #9 SUCK in my opinion. From photos on this forum, one might conclude various Asian cities are following this car-first model in new skyscraper districts.
    Last edited by MidtownGuy; May 8th, 2010 at 02:15 PM.

I first read it on a Time Out Guide, I think the 2006 edition on the city, with a sub section on the city's growth. There are however other sources with varying figures depending on the year:

International Herald Tribune, 2005, http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/10/...ness/boom.php:

"This year alone, Shanghai will complete towers with more space for living and working than there is in all the office buildings in New York City. That will happen in a city that already has 4,000 skyscrapers, almost double the number in New York. And there are designs to build 1,000 more by the end of this decade."

Bloomberg 2005, http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...fer=news_index

"Shanghai, the nation's commercial capital, built 6,704 towers of 11 or more stories since 1990, city government figures for 2004 show -- 4,312 of them in the past five years. New York has 5,467 buildings of 12 stories or more, according to Emporis."

OhMyNews, http://english.ohmynews.com/articlev...55010&rel_no=1

"Shanghai already has 4,000 skyscrapers, almost double than in New York. As if all this were not enough, there are projected to be about 1,000 more by the end of the decade."

New York Times
    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/18/bu...er=MARKETWATCH

"The city says it now has more than 4,000 skyscrapers - buildings 18 stories or higher - far more than New York, according to Emporis, a global real estate research group based in Germany."

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast