Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Croatia

Ok this multi-threaded tangent is over. Architecture only from now on. If you want to continue this political/ historical discussion open a thread in News and Politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Alonzo-ny View Post
    Ok this multi-threaded tangent is over. Architecture only from now on. If you want to continue this political/ historical discussion open a thread in News and Politics.

Ok I agree with what you say because it seems fair. You and I have known for some time and we have always been friends in the forum. I do not want to lose your friendship because the appreciation. If you consider it necessary to erase the text messages, then you can be deleted as the moderator who you are. I just tried to express my ideas and opinions, but I never wanted to offend anyone. Let's talk about architecture, because history and politics are difficult subjects.

Returning to the theme of architecture, Dubrovnik was a World Heritage city before its destruction by the troops of General Pavle Strugar in 1991 (now at large despite seeing was convicted in 2001 of the International Criminal Court in The Hague) I think that the reconstruction that has become part of the historic town center could have been improved.

It is doubtful whether some of the buildings destroyed in 1991 were later reconstructed, using the same materials and to keep his exact former proportions. Some people deal with these issues on the historical and monumental who say that what is ultimately executed a "false history" of such were some of the original elements and that reconstruction has eliminated any historical reference to Dalmatia with the rest of regions of the former Yugoslavia by the theme of the existing political resentment at the attack. Elements have been removed as shields or coats of buildings or parts sources which reference the common past of Dubrovnik and its relation to Montenegro and Serb territories as it seems to me a historical mistake that Unesco should not have allowed in rebuilding.

I think the theme of the reconstructions is very controversial and always generates open clashes occurred because usually before a war with many casualties, which makes the author of the reconstruction may want to impose their historic truth on what happened there.
    Last edited by Dr.T; November 27th, 2009 at 11:30 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12