Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Handbags at Ground Zero

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
    The "hard working" designers get peanuts, as with most professions. The workers are rarely rewarded.
    ^ False, if we're talking about the high-end fashion biz, which is what these designer bags represent.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    NH: Are the results of all your work now available for anyone to copy free of charge, with no control by or compensation to yourself?

My company owns my work. So I have no say in what my designs are bought and sold for.

So, if for some strange reason, people found Concrete fashionable and my boss decided to charge scads of money for putting his name all over the cinderblocks, I, a lowly worker, woulfd get zero, zilch, nada.

Just like most workers in the Fashion industry!

Should we continue this comparison/analogy or quit while we are still in vogue?

Volume 22, Number 48 | The Newspaper of Lower Manhattan | April 9 - 15, 2010

Canal’s ‘Counterfeit Triangle’ pays fine to reopen
    Two years after a predawn N.Y.P.D. raid shut down Canal St.’s “Counterfeit Triangle,” the city announced an agreement that will allow the Chinatown building to reopen.
    Property owners on the triangular block bounded by Canal, Baxter, Walker and Centre Sts. paid the city $800,000 and promised to use their shops for legal purposes only, the city said Tuesday. Before the Feb. 26, 2008 raid, the block’s 32 storefronts were selling watches, jewelry and handbags that were knockoffs of Coach, Gucci, Dolce & Gabbanna, Prada, Rolex and many other brands. Police confiscated over $1 million worth of merchandise when shutting the stores down in 2008.
    The city then filed a civil nuisance abatement action against the owners of the building, which includes shuttered storefronts at 224-230 Canal St.; 232 Canal St.; 234-238 Canal St.; 106 Baxter St.; 112-116 Walker St.; 118 Walker St.; 120-124 Walker St.; and 152-156 Centre St. The agreement announced Tuesday concludes the legal action, clearing the way for new tenants to move in.

How do they get the tally of $1M of seized goods?

Is this what they are worth or what they could be sold for?

Mayor tells artists: Get the 'sell' out!
    By SARA KUGLER
    AP
    Last Updated: 7:05 AM, April 17, 2010
    Posted: 2:44 AM, April 17, 2010

Manhattan's most famous parks are lined with artists selling their sculptures, paintings and photographs -- often of quintessential New York scenes -- but city officials say the vendors have grown out of control, and they are now trying to force many of them off the streets.
    Mayor Bloomberg's administration wants to shrink the vendor population by up to 80 percent in some areas.
    "If they do this, it will be war in the city because so many people will lose money and a place to show their work," said Alex Basansky, a photographer who sells his prints of city scenes at the southeast entrance of Central Park.

The regulations would also severely limit the number of vendors in parts of Central Park, plus all of Union Square, Battery Park and the High Line Park.
    The Bloomberg administration says street art has outgrown its space in the city's most popular parks, dominating sidewalks and interfering with pedestrian traffic. Vendors say the rules violate their First Amendment guarantee of free expression.
    "It's about balance," said Parks Commissioner Adrian Benepe. "They can still vend their stuff; they just can't do it in uncontrolled droves where park visitors are forced to walk through a gauntlet of vendors."
    Officials say there are now more than 300 vendors in the four busiest parks and seek to cut it down to 81.
    The Parks Department is holding a hearing next week on the regulations. If the rules are passed, vendors say they will challenge them in federal court.
    In anticipation of the fight, vendors in the parks are displaying yellow signs that read, "Stop Harassing the Artists," and "Artist Power."
    Under the regulations, 18 vendors would be allowed in Union Square. On a recent sunny weekday, more than 50 vendors had set up tables by 11 a.m.; on weekends, the number can reach 100.
    The city says the relatively small park can get 200,000 visitors per day during the summer.
    "I'm very concerned. We're being driven out," said Ava Day, a painter who sells her landscapes for $10 to $25 at a table along 14th Street.
    The rules for Central Park would allow a total of 49 vendors -- nearly half of them in front of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and the others between Columbus Circle and Fifth Avenue. Officials say those areas combined typically have 100 to 150 vendors.
    In Battery Park, nine would be allowed -- down from about 50 -- and five on the High Line.
    The city has unsuccessfully sought to limit art vendors before. In 1996, when Rudy Giuliani's administration sought to require permits for sidewalk artists, a federal appeals court sided with the artists and said they were protected by the First Amendment.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/m...#ixzz0lN0Z41s2

These newly-proposed rules don't apply to vendors of commercial goods, only to "Constitutionally protected expressive material" (or something close to that) aka ART, the definition of which has been delineated in various court rulings in the past when the City has tried to curtail expressive sidewalk vendors.

The rules also apply only to the four specific NYC Parks mentioned (and only at very specific areas within those Parks). All other areas within NYC Parks would still be available for expressive vendors to show & sell their wares, as long as they meet the criteria for what is "expressive" vs. that which is purely commercial (a distinction which Parks employees / NYPD seem unable to understand to the necessary degree, and thereby have failed to properly regulate existing vendors using existing law).

Areas in the vicinity of the WTC would not be affected by the new rules (the closest Park so affected would be Battery Park).

Forum Veteran

Cool Good work by the Italian Police near Venice

Fined nearly $1800 for buying a $12 fake

By PAUL TATNELL - Sydney Morning Herald

Last updated 13:07 09/06/2010

Reuters
    THE REAL THING: A handbag featuring in Louis Vuitton's Fall-Winter men's fashion show in Paris earlier this year.

Tourists keen on snaring bargain fake designer goods might be better of forking out for the real thing after an Austrian tourist was fined 1000 euro ($1798) for attempting to buy a fake Louis Vuitton handbag.
    Austrian pensioner Ursula Corel, 65, attempted to pay a measly 7 euro ($12.50) for the handbag in the Italian resort of Jesolo, near Venice.
    According to The Guardian newspaper, Corel was then spotted by the authorities as they scanned crowds with high powered binoculars from a lifeguard's watch tower and was then slapped with the 1000 euro fine.
    Authorities say they are enforcing summer crackdown on counterfeit goods which worth more than $12 billion globally every year.
    But Corel was less than impressed.
    "Are you joking?" the Guardian quoted her asking officers.
    "I don't go to the beach with 1000 euro, and knew nothing of this law. Some bargain this turned out to be."
    She later told Britain's Daily Telegraph she knew the bag was a fake, but had no idea of the possible consequences.
    "I bought the bag because it looked very nice and of course I knew it was fake but I had no idea I was committing an offence there were no signs warning me."
    But the man behind the crackdown, local mayor Francesco Calzavara, is unapologetic.
    "We are convinced that if the demand drops, so will the offer," he said, saying the fines are in response to complaints of heavy selling by the vendors.
    "One tourist said she was never coming back after being bothered 48 times."
    A local tourism body is now seeking out the pensioner to help cover her fine, fearing that news of the crackdown will lead to a drop in tourist numbers.
    "We understand what the mayor is trying to do but at the same time there should be more communication with tourists explaining the risks they run and there are no signs warning they face fines if they buy from street vendors.
    "We would like to apologise to the Austrian lady in question and assure her that members are more than willing to contribute and help pay off the fine."

YEAH!

Find the end guy for it! It is all their fault!!!

If women weren't so attractive, maybe guys would not want to have Sex with them! It is all their fault!

Children are too cute, it is their fault they are abducted, and if you get shot, it is your fault for presenting a target for the shooter!

Ninja, You may have forgotten this. The Law is the Law.

I once wrote a paper in LAW 101 entitled "What is Law?" You may disagree with my conclusions, but the law is ultimately based on and derived from morality.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherpa View Post
    This was a recent poster from the International Anti Counterfeiting Coalition.

A useful warning for tourists visiting downtown before they approach the illegal vendors.

Default A Fine Report - Manhattan Borough President Scott Stringer

Lawful street vending is an important part of New York City’s history and economy,
    provides job opportunities for workers, and is permitted in many neighborhoods.
    Vending in the area surrounding the World Trade Center is prohibited by State law. Yet,
    despite the prohibition, illegal vending has become one of the top quality of life
    complaints of Lower Manhattan’s residents and businesses. In addition to dishonoring
    the sanctity of the site, the sidewalk obstructions caused by illegal vending makes life
    very difficult for the area's struggling small businesses and residents, who stayed
    Downtown after 9/11 and who are already inconvenienced by the prevalence of
    construction and street closures.

This report describes the context for understanding this issue, exposes the rampant illegal
    activity that is currently occurring at the site, and makes recommendations to solve this
    critical problem.

http://www.mbpo.org/uploads/IllegalStreetVending.pdf

Separately, the Alliance For Downtown New York supports the Daniel Squadron legislative proposal:

www.brodoff.com/documents/pr/Alliance/Vending-Squadron.doc

In Italy, buying counterfiet goods is illegal. No one here is happy to see tourists fined for this, but at the same time they are also fined for illegally parking their car and etc. The law is the law and ignorance of the law is no excuse. Hotels and tour operators do inform tourists.

Unfortunately Italy is way too soft on the vendors ( and anyway, the Guardian would be yelling racism).

Quote Originally Posted by Sherpa View Post
    Ninja, You may have forgotten this. The Law is the Law.

I once wrote a paper in LAW 101 entitled "What is Law?" You may disagree with my conclusions, but the law is ultimately based on and derived from morality.
    Sherp, you may have forggoten this. When you give a reason, it has to be right or you will get disagreement.

When they say this will reduce the sale of these bags, they are wrong. What it does is give people a bad feeling. they may be right in what they are doing, morally and legally, but it will cost them more money by punishing the purchaser rather than the distributor.

Examples:

Ticket Scalping
    Imitation Sales
    Drug Sales
    Prostitution

You stop one user, buyer, etc, you stop one person. You stop one pusher/hooker/seller, you have stopped more than one purchaser.

The trick is, making sure nobody fills the gap after you tag that one seller. The key that ruins the association I made is that if there are many sellers, grabbing will do next to nothing. Only when you start grabbing a majority do you see a noticable impact.

There will ALWAYS be a desire for these objects. The very marketing behind them tries to insure that. Trying to discourage purchase of fakes by punishment is made more difficult by the advertisment by the original makers trying to tell you that the genuine article is what you need to be more than dirt.

Maybe LV should just sell their bags for what they are actually "worth" rather than what they think they are worth.

I'd be willing to bet if they busted ten different groups of ladies from Lansing, Spokane, Baton Rouge, Lexington, San Jose and other spots where folks come from before heading downtown to find a knock-off bag and then perp-walked them / publicized the bust then that would definitely put a sock in this business on the streets of NYC. Visitors would definitely think twice about ruining their vacation over a $25 purse.

I watch these crews of counterfeiters at work down my way. The sellers are pretty sophisticated; they have scouts on cell phones directing the go-betweens. A bit of concentrated man power would put a crimp in the action. But NYPD can only do so much.

Especially at the salaries they are offering the footmen....

At least they can get guys that "like" cyclist/activists.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast