Thread: Who is this mysterious man?

Default Who is this mysterious man?

This young man was co-leader of an influential band, who died violently in the mid-60's. This was a publicity photo taken shortly before he died.....with photo techniques decades ahead of it's time. True or false? I already assume Lofter knows it.

Isn't that Joe 'stumpy' Pepys, the drummer with British Rock Band 'Spinal Tap' who died in a tragic gardening related accident.

Quote Originally Posted by Radiohead View Post

I already assume Lofter knows it.
    LOL

Great photo.

But I don't have a clue.

I say that photo is actually from the 1800's (possibly Civil War?).

It's a famous photo of a man (murderer?) about to be executed. I don't remember the period, but you can see the handcuffs are very old-fashioned.

This is Lewis Powell, one of the "band" of assassins who conspired to kill President Lincoln, Vice President Johnson, and Secretary of State Seward in April, 1865. Powell attacked Seward with a knife, wounding him seriously, though the Secretary recovered from his wounds. Powell was less fortunate: the photo is of him in custody aboard the U.S. monitor Saugus. He was later found guilty of his part in the conspiracy and was hanged in July, 1865.

I presume the photograph was obtained from this Wikipedia article on Powell:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_P...%28assassin%29

^ I had never seen that photo before but you can see that it's a wet-plate glass negative. The button pants with no elastic or belt loops, the seamless top and most of all that choppy hair style parted on one side and flying up ...would date it to the mid 1800's.

If the 1800's look were being duplicated in the 1960's (and it was big by 1968 .... see Crosby, Stills & Nash album cover DejaVu etc.) then the fellow in the pic would have had the obligatory long hair and perhaps mustasche, I can't imagine a "co-leader of an influential band" from the times sporting (relatively) short hair with a clean face.

It is interesting to me that this rustic 1800's look as returned again big time as we speak. It so right for the times and a beautiful change from the last 10-15 years or so.

-----

Civil War look fashion shoot today:

Last edited by Fabrizio; November 24th, 2009 at 09:12 AM.

So, Powell is seated in front of the heavy metal plating of the Saugus.

Great material and texture.

Powell's fate:

Lewis (Payne) Powell

Arrival on the Scaffold

All is Done