Page 35 of 536 FirstFirst ... 253132333435363738394585135535 ... LastLast
Results 511 to 525 of 8026

Thread: Amanda Knox gets 26 Years

  1. #511

    Default

    There are legitimate reasons to criticise the Italian Justice system. The ridiculous length of trials is the thing most often mentioned by a wide margin. If the criticism is fact-based it's interesting. But the wild accusations... the never-in-America stuff is absurd. Knox has gotten a fair trial. I can find no organizations that have said otherwise. Amnesty International? The Innocence Project? The American Embassy in Rome? Pretty incredible for a girl who was put in chains and rabbit punched. Isn't any one doing their job?

    The only American politician who insists that Knox did not get a fair trial is .... Donald Trump.

    And what seems to be lost on some here is that the girl is getting an appeal.
    Last edited by Fabrizio; May 3rd, 2011 at 03:30 PM.

  2. #512
    Forum Veteran MidtownGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    East Midtown
    Posts
    6,832

    Default

    Knox has gotten a fair trial.
    You're entitled to your opinion, even if it's absurd and full of wild accusations.

    Like the trial was, clearly.
    Last edited by MidtownGuy; May 3rd, 2011 at 04:12 PM.

  3. #513
    Forum Veteran MidtownGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    East Midtown
    Posts
    6,832

    Default

    Pretty incredible for a girl who was put in chains and rabbit punched.
    Not nearly as incredible as the accusation of Amanda stabbing a girl to death, and not leaving a trace of herself in the murder room while Guede's traces were everywhere.

  4. #514

    Default

    Those Italians!

    Always going off half-cocked.

    Must be their hot Mediterranean blood.

  5. #515
    Forum Veteran MidtownGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    East Midtown
    Posts
    6,832

    Default

    hot blood is good...hot heads not so much

  6. #516

    Default

    "You're entitled to your opinion, even if it's absurd and full of wild accusations.
    Like the trial was, clearly."

    If the trial was clearly absurd and full of wild accusations. Let me ask again:

    Where is Amnesty International? The Innocence Project?

    The American Embassy has followed this case from the beginning...they say the trial was fair. Why has the State Department not made any objections?

    Rachael Donadio reporting for the NYTimes:

    "In the press, Ms. Knox is often portrayed as an innocent girl unwittingly caught up in the Kafkesque Italian justice system. But even one of her lawyers, Carlo Dalla Vedova, said that he believed the trial was fair. He added that he “disagreed” with news media coverage that depicted it otherwise."

    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/04/wo...e/04italy.html

    From ABC News interview with Luciano Ghirga, Knox's other Lawyer:

    "Ghirga also rejected insinuations that Knox did not get a fair trial in the Perugia court. "The issues in America do not interest me much," Ghirga told ABC News. "I am happy that there is support, and participation, but if you say it was a trial from the Middle Ages, that her rights were violated, then what do you have lawyers for?"

    "Amanda's rights were respected during the trial," said Ghirga. Over the course of many hearings "evidence was presented in the course of debate in court. She had a fair trial."

    http://abcnews.go.com/WN/AmandaKnox/...9290666&page=2
    Last edited by Fabrizio; May 3rd, 2011 at 05:07 PM.

  7. #517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizio View Post
    From ABC News interview with Luciano Ghirga, Knox's other Lawyer:

    "Ghirga also rejected insinuations that Knox did not get a fair trial in the Perugia court. "The issues in America do not interest me much," Ghirga told ABC News. "I am happy that there is support, and participation, but if you say it was a trial from the Middle Ages, that her rights were violated, then what do you have lawyers for?"
    I wouldn't put much credence on what a lawyer who didn't do better in the fact of zero evidence in defending her.

  8. #518
    Forum Veteran MidtownGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    East Midtown
    Posts
    6,832

    Default

    This trial was absurd and full of wild accusations.

  9. #519
    Forum Veteran MidtownGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    East Midtown
    Posts
    6,832

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizio View Post
    The American Embassy has followed this case from the beginning...they say the trial was fair. Why has the State Department not made any objections?
    he asks, but already gave his own assessment of this matter many pages ago:

    Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizio View Post
    IMHO: For Knox's sake it would be best if Clinton did not get involved. At least not publically.
    maybe ya'll think alike?
    Last edited by MidtownGuy; May 3rd, 2011 at 06:02 PM.

  10. #520

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizio View Post

    If the trial was clearly absurd and full of wild accusations. Let me ask again:

    Where is Amnesty International? The Innocence Project?
    Well, not sure if you will approve of this version, but the Director of the Idaho Innocence project has weighed in on the fairness of the trial, and did not give it a thumbs up: http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/daily...ehind_evid.php

  11. #521

    Default

    ^ I guess there's no reason for the re-examination of the DNA evidence at the appeal... the results are already in... from Idaho.

    And just think: if the DNA evidence is found flawed, that means game-over, Knox is going home, right?

  12. #522
    Forum Veteran MidtownGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    East Midtown
    Posts
    6,832

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizio View Post
    ^ I guess there's no reason for the re-examination of the DNA evidence at the appeal... the results are already in... from Idaho.
    The incompetent ninnies in Perugia could apparently use the scientific help. Perugia could reciprocate by sending a crew to Boise who understands how to make chocolate.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizio View Post
    And just think: if the DNA evidence is found flawed, that means game-over, Knox is going home, right?
    Maybe if she clicks her heels three times.

  13. #523

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spartaco
    I wouldn't put much credence on what a lawyer who didn't do better in the fact of zero evidence in defending her.
    A fair trial doesn't mean the truth always comes out. If we knew what the truth was, there wouldn't be any trials. Innocent people do get convicted. You have the right to an attorney; not the assurance that he'll present the absolute best case.

    Anyone remember Louise Woodward? I watched much of the coverage on the old Court TV in its prime. Saw the verdict read live. There was a satellite TV hookup to Woodward's village in the UK, a local restaurant or pub where the townspeople watched the proceedings, and in turn were on camera themselves. Not so common in the '90s.

    Similar to the Knox case, a young girl from one country (UK) is caught up in the criminal justice system of another (US). you would assume that the systems in the US and UK are very similar, but there are significant difference, so TV coverage attracted commentary from legal heavyweights from both sides of the Pond.

    During the trial there were debates about "this wouldn't happen in a UK court" and "that wouldn't happen in a US court." Some of the press coverage from the UK was over the top, depicting an innocent teenager in the clutches of vengeful Americans.

    One theme that ran through the debates is that you have to judge a criminal trial proceeding from the moment the investigation begins to the final resolution.

    Woodward's primary counsel was Barry Scheck, recently made famous for his forensic work in the OJ Simpson case. Maybe it was self confidence, but the defense strategy was to ask that the jury only consider 2nd degree murder or acquittal, not a lesser charge of manslaughter.

    The Court TV panel debated this strategy, and it was generally agreed that it was too risky, not in the best interest of the client. The jury came back with a guilty verdict - 15 years to life.
    The courtroom was in silence except for Woodward sobbing. Rage exploded on the screen from the UK. One of the Court TV legal experts said something like, "This is painful to watch; what happens when you put your client at risk"

    Was it a fair trial? I guess it depends on your point of view, but from mine, it certainly was.

    During appeal motions a week later, the judge vacated the verdict (it was unknown to the UK tabloids that a US judge could do that), and reduced the conviction to manslaughter with a sentence of time served:
    I am morally certain that allowing this defendant on this evidence to remain convicted of second-degree murder would be a miscarriage of justice
    On TV it was asked, "What just happened?"

    "The judge corrected a big mistake by the defense attorneys."

  14. #524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizio View Post
    ^ I guess there's no reason for the re-examination of the DNA evidence at the appeal... the results are already in... from Idaho.
    What does this mean? It is obvious you are totally biased toward whatever the prosecutors and court in Perugia says, facts be damned. Is there something wrong with Idaho? There are a growing number of experts on DNA, forensic science, false confessions, etc. who have been weighing in and saying the evidence is either bogus or does not prove murder. And several of them are from actual major cities that you may have heard of. But any person who says they don't think Knox and Sollecito are guilty is immediately personally attacked by the pro-guilt crowd. I notice you did not answer with any dispute about the Innocence Project Idaho's point of view on the evidence, you just made a remark about them being from Idaho.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizio View Post
    ^ And just think: if the DNA evidence is found flawed, that means game-over, Knox is going home, right?
    I doubt it. The authorities in Perugia will pull out all the stops to keep her in jail, again, evidence be damned. With careers and reputations on the line, it will take more than just the DNA evidence being thrown out to have her released. What it will take is for someone over there with the guts to stand up to the corruption and put themselves at risk, along with Knox and Sollecito.

    I am not holding my breath.

  15. #525

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dougm View Post
    I doubt it. The authorities in Perugia will pull out all the stops to keep her in jail, again, evidence be damned. With careers and reputations on the line, it will take more than just the DNA evidence being thrown out to have her released. What it will take is for someone over there with the guts to stand up to the corruption and put themselves at risk, along with Knox and Sollecito.

    I am not holding my breath.
    They'll go back to the "confession" and "she placed herself at the scene of the crime". Even if she had to have some taps on the head to help her "remember". If Mignini loses this case he is history. And he will never admit that he was wrong. He will fight to the death. The only interesting thing is who amongst the pack they might try and throw under the bus. That is why it is interesting that Frank bends over backwards to defend Stefanoni, since he thinks they might try to throw her under the bus.

    Was the all night interrogation done by Polizia di Stato or Squadra Mobile? Does anyone know?

Similar Threads

  1. London's Congestion Charge Two Years On
    By ablarc in forum News and Politics
    Replies: 192
    Last Post: October 2nd, 2008, 10:43 AM
  2. New Years Eve in Time Square
    By clasione in forum Social Club
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: January 3rd, 2005, 06:18 PM
  3. Airtrain Newark, two years and still growing
    By STT757 in forum New York Metro
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: October 27th, 2003, 10:17 PM
  4. Almost 2 years later, the events of 9.11.01 still hurt
    By Qtrainat1251 in forum New York City Guide For New Yorkers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: September 10th, 2003, 10:34 PM
  5. Where to live? - Possibly moving to NYC in a few years...
    By Jonny in forum Moving to New York
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: May 21st, 2003, 11:48 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Google+ - Facebook - Twitter - Meetup

Edward's photos on Flickr - Wired New York on Flickr - In Queens - In Red Hook - Bryant Park - SQL Backup Software