Page 464 of 536 FirstFirst ... 364414454460461462463464465466467468474514 ... LastLast
Results 6,946 to 6,960 of 8026

Thread: Amanda Knox gets 26 Years

  1. #6946

    Default

    Why did he lose his business?

  2. #6947

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dougm View Post
    Maybe he should land a book deal??
    If I were him I'd shoot for a recording contract and an album.

    Patrick Sings the Blues.

  3. #6948

    Default

    This is interesting, a brief interview with a guy who is working with Raffaele Sollecito on his book.

    http://www.mediabistro.com/galleycat...x-trial_b47292

  4. #6949

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    Why did he lose his business?
    I am not 100% sure. I have seen people say the police would not let him reopen for months, declaring the club a "crime scene", but can't verify that. I have also seen an interview with Lumumba where he says it is because Knox ruined his reputation and people would no longer come to the club. I don't know the truth on that one.

  5. #6950

    Default

    Wow. Frank Sfarzo is laying it all out there now.

    http://perugiashock.com

  6. #6951

    Default

    That article is so ridiculous and so perfectly crafted for the Knoxians and Amanda's PR department. OMG.

  7. #6952

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizio View Post
    That article is so ridiculous and so perfectly crafted for the Knoxians and Amanda's PR department. OMG.
    Do tell. Are there things in it that are not true? I don't know about those cases he is talking about.

  8. #6953

    Default

    How come Sfarzo hasn't been charged with defamation?

    A lot of calunnia flying around.

  9. #6954

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    On another note: It's my understanding that the Supreme Court in Italy doesn't hear any additional testimony. In other words, there won't be a trail or hearing, with both sides presenting a case. Instead, the judges will issue an opinion.

    So how could they justify reversing a court decision that was based on a lack of evidence in the prosecution case. I can't see this going any other way than an affirmation of the standing verdict.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizio View Post
    The SC does not reverse anything. If they see that there were errors in law they can order a retrial.
    Are you sure about this?

    Prosecutors seek to reinstate Knox conviction

    Reinstate Knox's murder charge, Italian court told
    The judges may only overturn the first-appeal verdict on technical grounds. Thus, no new evidence can be introduced and the prosecution's room for manoeuvre is limited.

    Under Italian law, Ms Knox and Mr Sollecito can not be retried for the same crimes.

  10. #6955

    Default


    This is how Elizabetta Povoledo of the NYTimes explains it:


    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/15/wo...anda-knox.html

  11. #6956

    Default

    So which is it?

    The author makes one error:
    If it is granted, prosecutors could retry Ms. Knox in absentia, if necessary, and she could ultimately face extradition if convicted.
    Amanda Knox cannot be extradited from the US to Italy.

    There's a treaty in place between the two countries since 1983 overseeing extraditions. There's a standard Article II on Dual Criminality.

    http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA471739 See note [32]

    An offense, however denominated, shall be an extraditable offense only if it is punishable under the laws of both Contracting Parties by deprivation of liberty for a period of more than one year or by a more severe penalty. . .”

  12. #6957

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    Amanda Knox cannot be extradited from the US to Italy.
    The thought I have heard is they could try, but the odds of a successful extradition, given all of the obstacles, are extremely low.

  13. #6958

    Default

    I don't know, but the treaty article seems specific.

    Italy is not required to extradite someone charged with a capital offense to the United States unless the death penalty is removed.

    Similarly, Knox has already been found not guilty in a criminal case. A retrial would be double jeopardy, which is illegal in the US unless a mistrial is declared, or another charge is made.

  14. #6959

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    I don't know, but the treaty article seems specific.

    Italy is not required to extradite someone charged with a capital offense to the United States unless the death penalty is removed.

    Similarly, Knox has already been found not guilty in a criminal case. A retrial would be double jeopardy, which is illegal in the US unless a mistrial is declared, or another charge is made.
    Following that line of thought, do you think that the appeal trial was technically double jeopardy from a US legal point of view? I understand your point that she has been found not guilty in a criminal case, yet she was found guilty in the first trial, and under the Italian system, had a second trial, where she was found not guilty. Now, under the Italian system, there is another level, where the verdict needs to be confirmed or rejected by the Supreme Court (that seems to be more accurate than "overturned"). If the entire verdict was invalidated, would the logic follow that the US would see it valid that she be tried again?

    As I have said before, I don't think she would ever be extradited, but I am trying to follow the "double jeopardy" logic as it applies here.

  15. #6960

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizio
    That article is so ridiculous and so perfectly crafted for the Knoxians and Amanda's PR department. OMG.
    Quote Originally Posted by dougm View Post
    Do tell. Are there things in it that are not true? I don't know about those cases he is talking about.
    Oh, BTW, we never got the benefit of your wisdom on this.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crickets chirping simpsons.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	14965

Similar Threads

  1. London's Congestion Charge Two Years On
    By ablarc in forum News and Politics
    Replies: 192
    Last Post: October 2nd, 2008, 11:43 AM
  2. New Years Eve in Time Square
    By clasione in forum Social Club
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: January 3rd, 2005, 07:18 PM
  3. Airtrain Newark, two years and still growing
    By STT757 in forum New York Metro
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: October 27th, 2003, 11:17 PM
  4. Almost 2 years later, the events of 9.11.01 still hurt
    By Qtrainat1251 in forum New York City Guide For New Yorkers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: September 10th, 2003, 11:34 PM
  5. Where to live? - Possibly moving to NYC in a few years...
    By Jonny in forum Moving to New York
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: May 21st, 2003, 12:48 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Google+ - Facebook - Twitter - Meetup

Edward's photos on Flickr - Wired New York on Flickr - In Queens - In Red Hook - Bryant Park - SQL Backup Software