Page 484 of 536 FirstFirst ... 384434474480481482483484485486487488494534 ... LastLast
Results 7,246 to 7,260 of 8026

Thread: Amanda Knox gets 26 Years

  1. #7246
    Forum Veteran MidtownGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    East Midtown
    Posts
    6,832

    Default

    Hey, let's be fair! there's really only one nasty Italian around here.

  2. #7247

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizio View Post
    Eddhead: your posts are so off-the-wall wierd. Whether it's this thread or any other, I honestly get the impression you're just not very smart.
    Now you've gone and hurt my feelings. But its nice to know you are reading my posts.

    Maybe we should take a poll on who's not very smart. At the very least we should have a conversation about whose posts are 'off the wall' especially when they concern all things Italian.
    Last edited by eddhead; April 25th, 2013 at 09:42 AM.

  3. #7248
    Chief Antagonist Ninjahedge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Rutherford
    Posts
    12,773

    Default

    Edd, Fab's comment there is against the rules.

    Calling someone stupid (yes, that is what "not very smart" means) is a direct personal insult. It is not calling your observations ill-informed or biased, it is directly calling your mental credibility into account.

    the key that everyone here has to acknowledge is that NOTHING he has said has lead anywhere. the mere reluctance to admit ANYTHING BEING DONE WRONG BY THE ITALIAN SYSTEM is a simple pledge of guilt right there.

    The other is the constant comparison to the American legal system.

    "Tell me Jimmy. Ever been to a Turkish Prison?"

    WTH does that have to do with the credibility and veracity of the original case and charges therein? NOTHING.

    As the poo analogies flow, it does not matter whose stinks more when you step in one and not the other. Poo is poo no matter who left it and claiming yours does not stink any more than the other does not give you permission to leave it on anyones doorstep.

  4. #7249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizio View Post
    Doug: in case it's not clear I am comparing the TGCOM quotes to the NYTIMES quotes about the "Tah-dah" incident.

    The TGCOM article references the NYTimes. But as far as where this happened: the TGCOM article says Meredith's room. The NYTimes article (which YOU posted)says the following:

    "for instance, when she went with the police to the crime scene and put on protective bootees and gloves, she sang out “Ta-dah” and thrust out her arms “like the lead in a musical.”

    I can perfectly understand TGCOM interpreting "the crime scene" as the place where the murder took place (i.e. Meredith's room).

    Actually I can understand a casual NYTimes reader interpreting "the crime scene" as the place where the murder took place (i.e. Meredith's room).

    Is this clear now?

    Instead of those nasty Italians... perhaps your beef should be with the NYTimes.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/22/bo...nted=all&_r=1&
    You are just about impossible to talk with, you are so biased, and hate Amanda Knox, and Americans, so much. No wonder you never answer anyone's post honestly, but instead either post some diversion, or insult other posters. It's a waste of time.

    You did hit upon one issue I agree with, however. I was simply trying to counter your past assertion that Italian media did not participate in the false slurring of Knox, and that it was only media in other countries that did that. But this example is a poor one, since the book is not even out yet. We are talking about an Italian media source, potentially misquoting an American media source. It makes more sense to wait for the actual book to be out. Then, if they report falsely what is actually in the book, we would have something to talk about.

  5. #7250

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
    Edd, Fab's comment there is against the rules.

    Calling someone stupid (yes, that is what "not very smart" means) is a direct personal insult. It is not calling your observations ill-informed or biased, it is directly calling your mental credibility into account.

    the key that everyone here has to acknowledge is that NOTHING he has said has lead anywhere. the mere reluctance to admit ANYTHING BEING DONE WRONG BY THE ITALIAN SYSTEM is a simple pledge of guilt right there.

    The other is the constant comparison to the American legal system.

    "Tell me Jimmy. Ever been to a Turkish Prison?"

    WTH does that have to do with the credibility and veracity of the original case and charges therein? NOTHING.

    As the poo analogies flow, it does not matter whose stinks more when you step in one and not the other. Poo is poo no matter who left it and claiming yours does not stink any more than the other does not give you permission to leave it on anyones doorstep.
    Well put. And there is even less credibility when said poster claims there is no poo on their side at all, when we can all smell it.

  6. #7251

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dougm View Post
    I was simply trying to counter your past assertion that Italian media did not (as Knoxians are want to do), and that it was only media in other countries that did that.
    If the TGCOM article is an example of the Italian media "participating in the false slurring of Amanda Knox" you are really desperate for examples.

    You yourself said: "I'll accept your thought that whatever translation disconnection occurred was not done maliciously."

    Now you are trying to backpedal.

    The TGCom article quotes the the NYTimes: "when she went with the police to the crime scene and put on protective bootees and gloves, she sang out “Ta-dah” and thrust out her arms “like the lead in a musical.”

    Yet you say she did her Ta-dah routine before she entered the cottage.... source please?

    And rather curiously, in your retelling, "sang out" became "said" and "lead in a musical" became "someone in a b'way show".

    Obviously trying to tone down the impact of her thoughtless actions.

    It is also funny that you feel the TCCOM translation slimes Knox... even if the translation of the NYTimes were perfect, her actions are scandalous enough to slime her on their own.
    Last edited by Fabrizio; April 25th, 2013 at 12:58 PM.

  7. #7252
    Chief Antagonist Ninjahedge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Rutherford
    Posts
    12,773

    Default

    I smell something...

  8. #7253

    Default

    And Doug, another point I would like to make: no, the Italian media did not portray Knox as the sex crazed witch that the Knoxians want Americans to believe they did.

    The one journalist that did print a defamatory article was sued by Knox and she won.

    However, this time around I would not be surprised if the media here is not so well behaved.

    With the Surpreme Court ruling, Knox is now a convicted felon. You can agree with her charges or not... the fact remains: Knox is a convicted felon.

    Tell me, how does the US media treat convicted felons? Do you really expect the Italian media to give Knox special treatment? How did it go for Casey Anthony or Jodi Arias?

  9. #7254
    Chief Antagonist Ninjahedge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Rutherford
    Posts
    12,773

    Default

    Taa-daa!

  10. #7255

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizio View Post
    If the TGCOM article is an example of the Italian media "participating in the false slurring of Amanda Knox" you are really desperate for examples.

    You yourself said: "I'll accept your thought that whatever translation disconnection occurred was not done maliciously."

    Now you are trying to backpedal.

    The TGCom article quotes the the NYTimes: "when she went with the police to the crime scene and put on protective bootees and gloves, she sang out “Ta-dah” and thrust out her arms “like the lead in a musical.”

    Yet you say she did her Ta-dah routine before she entered the cottage.... source please?

    And rather curiously, in your retelling, "sang out" became "said" and "lead in a musical" became "someone in a b'way show".

    Obviously trying to tone down the impact of her thoughtless actions.

    It is also funny that you feel the TCCOM translation slimes Knox... even if the translation of the NYTimes were perfect, her actions are scandalous enough to slime her on their own.
    You seem to be unable to reply without adding things to my intentions or changing the subject of my original question.

    It is silly to say I am trying to backpedal, because I never said the Italian journalists that wrote this article, or any other article, did it maliciously. I simply asked if what was being reported in this case is an accurate description, or if they changed it, or mistranslated it.

    Now, the reason I did that is because you have repeatedly told us on this forum that no Italian media printed untrue slurs against Knox, that it must be other media, such as the UK that we are talking about if we have a bone to pick about the 'Foxy Knoxy" articles, etc. You also know that the reason I asked you if this article was accurate is that 1) It just came out; and 2) I don't speak or read Italian, and the translation programs online are notoriously poor.

    Since it is a pointless discussion to try to find every old Italian article and find out if they are all accurate, or if many just printed whatever the prosecution fed them about Knox and Sollecito without fact checking, it seemed like it would be a valid point to take a look at a current article, which was just published, to see if your assertion that the Italian media did not and does not participate in inaccurate portrayals of Knox is true. It is a simple question: Did what they wrote match what she said, given that it is a direct quote, or not?

    After posting that, I rethought the whole idea, because if I am really being accurate, I should not assume that what the New York Times quoted from her book is accurate either, until I have seen the actual book. If accuracy and fairness is the goal here, then all the media should be held to the same standard. Of course, since your contention has always been that no Italian media participated in any unfair reporting related to this case, I thought it should be easy to test that out. I didn't think it would need a series of post re: what Italy thinks about Amanda personally, how other posters are stupid, etc.

    I just thought you might have the balls to tell me if the article was a good translation. Maybe these things are not malicious?? Maybe there are cultural misunderstandings, or maybe translation errors when things get translated from English to Italian, then back to English again, might have led to some misunderstandings in this case. But no, we can never have a rational discussion, because none of this is rational to you. It's all twisted by your dislike of the defendants.

    It is clear that the discussion is pointless. Your point of view is that if someone putting on booties and gloves outside the crime scene says, or sings, or however she did it, "Ta-da!!", that means they are a killer. No need to find any actual evidence, we hate her, so who cares??

    BTW, if you want to contend that I am changing the meaning by saying that she was outside the cottage when she put on the booties and gloves, well, if she wasn't, it just shows how slipshod the police were in this case. No she didn't say exactly where she was. But all the videos of the police checking the cottage show them suiting up outside the cottage, and the whole point of doing that is so to not bring in traces of evidence that is not in the cottage in the first place. If you want to contend that the "Ta-da" putting on the booties equates to "dancing and singing in Meredith's bedroom", you can do that, but you are doing nothing but proving my point, over and over again.

    And when you say that by doing the "Ta-da", Amanda is (fill in insult here), you also prove my point. Which is, in case you missed it, the people investigating the case observed her doing that type of thing, and decided she was guilty, before they collected any evidence. When they found the actual evidence, it all pointed to Rudy Guede, but they refused to admit that they arrested the wrong people.

    It doesn't matter if you like her or not. This is a murder case, not a popularity contest.

  11. #7256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizio View Post
    And Doug, another point I would like to make: no, the Italian media did not portray Knox as the sex crazed witch that the Knoxians want Americans to believe they did.
    This is what I was trying to ask. I'll ask someone less invested.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizio View Post
    The one journalist that did print a defamatory article was sued by Knox and she won.
    No, that is false. She "won" because the person published details from her private diary that the journalist had no business even having, and had no relationship to the case. This was after she was (falsely) told she was HIV positive, and wrote in her diary private details about her sex life, wondering how she could have been infected. Of course, she didn't have the virus, but had to live for two weeks thinking she did. And how did that journalist get her diary, which was written in prison??

    Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizio View Post
    However, this time around I would not be surprised if the media here is not so well behaved.

    With the Surpreme Court ruling, Knox is now a convicted felon. You can agree with her charges or not... the fact remains: Knox is a convicted felon.

    Tell me, how does the US media treat convicted felons? Do you really expect the Italian media to give Knox special treatment? How did it go for Casey Anthony or Jodi Arias?
    Who's backpedaling now? "Oh, they were totally fair before, but now that she is a convicted felon ..."

    And more of the "the US media does this too", and "two wrongs make a right".

    Your arguments are silly. The media everywhere should treat people fairly, but they don't. Once a person is charged with a crime, especially if it is a young woman, the media froths at the mouth and reports in a very unfair way. The problem for you though, is that other than all 3 being young women charged with murder, there is almost no similarity between Knox and the other two. There is actually evidence of guilt in the other two cases. And Anthony was acquitted, and can't be tried again.

    Again, it is pointless to argue with you, because you are incapable of focusing on the actual issues. Your position is, Italy is good, and fair. The United States is bad, evil, and crass. Amanda Knox is, as you said, "an asshole". And guilty based on that.

    You are just like every other pro-guilt person. You can't argue the actual evidence, because you will lose. And I think you know that.

  12. #7257

    Default

    "I just thought you might have the balls to tell me if the article was a good translation. Maybe these things are not malicious??"

    *sigh*

    I fully answered your question and in detail:

    The article was a summation (rather than a word for word translation) of the Times quote. It was literally accurate. However a literal translation is not called for here. Unfortunatley, the TGCOM literal translation of the quote makes her already despicable asshole-ish behavior even more despicable. However, Like you, I don't have the feeling there was a malicious intent on the part of TGCOM. Perhaps there was with the NYTimes whom TGCom is quoting.

    I can't get any clearer than that.
    Last edited by Fabrizio; April 25th, 2013 at 03:15 PM.

  13. #7258

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dougm View Post
    It is clear that the discussion is pointless. Your point of view is that if someone putting on booties and gloves outside the crime scene says, or sings, or however she did it, "Ta-da!!", that means they are a killer. No need to find any actual evidence, we hate her, so who cares??
    Careful, comments like that, may lead Fabrizio to assume that your posts are weird, or that you're not very smart.

    At least you'ld be in good company

    Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizio View Post
    The article was a summation (rather than a word for word translation) of the Times quote. It was literally accurate. However a literal translation is not called for here.
    Let me see if I understand. A signficant portion of your posts are requests that articles from the Italian press be quoted in Italian because you don't trust the accuracy of the translation provided by the English speaking source.

    In this case, you get the native Italian, translate it, and state the translation is accurate but not appropriate.

    And my posts are weird.
    Last edited by eddhead; April 25th, 2013 at 03:41 PM.

  14. #7259

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eddhead View Post
    Careful, comments like that, may lead Fabrizio to assume that your posts are weird, or that you're not very smart.

    At least you'd be in good company
    He thinks we are both weird and not smart. Thank goodness. With the ideas he is putting forth on guilt or innocence, I would hate to have him agree with me.

  15. #7260

    Default

    Interesting how my original request:

    Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizio View Post
    But were there any other instances during the trials or to the media where Knox was called a Luciferina, or witch, or demonic by Mignini or an Italian journalist or publication? A direct quote in Italian is what I'm looking for. Since it was a HUGE campaign there must be plenty of examples out there.
    ^ has morphed into this:

    Quote Originally Posted by eddhead View Post
    A signficant portion of your posts are requests that articles from the Italian press be quoted in Italian because you don't trust the accuracy of the translation provided by the English speaking source.
    --------------------------------


    BTW: I want to apologize for post #7241 where I wrote:


    "Eddhead: your posts are so off-the-wall wierd."

    The correct spelling of the word is w-e-i-r-d.


    Sorry about that.

Similar Threads

  1. London's Congestion Charge Two Years On
    By ablarc in forum News and Politics
    Replies: 192
    Last Post: October 2nd, 2008, 10:43 AM
  2. New Years Eve in Time Square
    By clasione in forum Social Club
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: January 3rd, 2005, 06:18 PM
  3. Airtrain Newark, two years and still growing
    By STT757 in forum New York Metro
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: October 27th, 2003, 10:17 PM
  4. Almost 2 years later, the events of 9.11.01 still hurt
    By Qtrainat1251 in forum New York City Guide For New Yorkers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: September 10th, 2003, 10:34 PM
  5. Where to live? - Possibly moving to NYC in a few years...
    By Jonny in forum Moving to New York
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: May 21st, 2003, 11:48 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Google+ - Facebook - Twitter - Meetup

Edward's photos on Flickr - Wired New York on Flickr - In Queens - In Red Hook - Bryant Park - SQL Backup Software