Page 529 of 536 FirstFirst ... 29429479519525526527528529530531532533 ... LastLast
Results 7,921 to 7,935 of 8026

Thread: Amanda Knox gets 26 Years

Quote Originally Posted by Chirpy View Post
    They tested some DNA they found on the knife and found that it was from Amanda Knox. I think that Bongiorno asked that the handle be taken apart to look for blood but that request was denied. No DNA from Meredith Kercher was found, so for all intents and purposes, this investigation established that this was not the murder knife. It confirms the conclusions of the independent experts from La Sapienza in Rome, and negates the conclusions of Patricia Stefanoni, someone who does not have an advanced degree, and was using lab practices and analyzing the results in a way that is not supported in the world literature on forensic science.
    Exactly!

What seems to escape some people is that a crime investigation is not black and white. The findings have a context. If you find evidence, you have to examine the other evidence and what the conditions were that the evidence was found in, and see if it makes sense. Meredith's DNA on the knife makes no sense for a whole series of reasons, and is not consistent with the other facts of the case. It is odd, an outlier, and was found using odd, invalid techniques, in a lab that did not follow established protocols.

It's similar to the Curatolo testimony. He claimed he saw them over an extended period, in an area where many people pass through all the time. Although Perugia has been called a small town, it is actually a small city, with over 100,000 people, many of them college students who are out late. Yet no one else saw them, despite being supposedly outside in the public area for a couple of hours +. Oh, and he was a "serial" witness that the police used in two other murder cases. Oh, and he was a heroin addict, and dealer, who relied on the police to not throw him in jail whenever they wanted. Oh, and he said there were buses taking students to the Discos, except the buses did not run that night.

These types of evidence don't hold water. You can't convict someone on that type of evidence. DNA collected and tested using incorrect protocols, witnesses who are confused and get the day wrong, were on drugs, etc.

Amanda Knox will be interviewed via Skype on the Italian TV show, Porta a Porta tomorrow.

I wish her well, I think she is brave. Thank goodness she speaks Italian now.

http://urbanpost.it/porta-a-porta-an...maria-franzoni

Quote Originally Posted by dougm View Post
    Amanda Knox will be interviewed via Skype on the Italian TV show, Porta a Porta tomorrow.

I wish her well, I think she is brave. Thank goodness she speaks Italian now.

http://urbanpost.it/porta-a-porta-an...maria-franzoni
    yep. perfectly fluent as well.

and please, basta with all the comments about accent and accuracy.

New news. The forensic team that is examining the kitchen knife has filed their results. Apparently, they tested a new spot and found DNA that is likely Amanda Knox's, but is definitely not Meredith's.

So what does this mean to the court? Were they looking for the "slam dunk" confirmation if they had found MK's DNA? Do they accept the original findings of Stefanoni (re: MK's DNA found?). Or will they decide the MK DNA is not valid, given what experts said about it in Hellmann trial? (Hellmann verdict overturned, but evidence collected can still be considered).
    Amanda Knox case: new DNA test casts doubt over murder weapon
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...er-weapon.html

The result isn't a surprise to me, and I don't think it's a big deal within the "logic" of the court.

It's obvious that the knife is not the murder weapon. Its discovery didn't lead to the charging of the suspects; it was the other way around. As far as I know, they didn't even test other knives in the drawer to at least establish control data.

So there is now no physical evidence pointing to Knox and Sollecito, and a circumstantial case that makes no sense at all.

This court can still convict them on nothing, just like the first one did.

I don't know about the veracity of the purported findings..... maybe if I read it in the original Italian ...

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    The result isn't a surprise to me, and I don't think it's a big deal within the "logic" of the court.

It's obvious that the knife is not the murder weapon. Its discovery didn't lead to the charging of the suspects; it was the other way around. As far as I know, they didn't even test other knives in the drawer to at least establish control data.

So there is now no physical evidence pointing to Knox and Sollecito, and a circumstantial case that makes no sense at all.

This court can still convict them on nothing, just like the first one did.
    I think the court can still declare that they accept the findings of the original police scientists -- that Meredith's DNA was found on the blade. But can they really convict them on those flimsy findings, again? I know they can, but what I really think they were hoping for is some kind of confirmation of those original tests, or maybe to find Guede's DNA or something??? All these tests prove is that Amanda cut something with the knife, which she has admitted to (bread, salad, etc.).

It felt like a fishing expedition, as does this trial. But what if they don't hook any fish?

Raffaele appears in court, gives emotional statement
    http://abcnews.go.com/International/...ry?id=20802169

New Amanda Knox trial: No DNA match to victim on knife, expert tells court
    http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2...lls-court?lite

Amanda Knox's ex-boyfriend back in court, calls charges 'absurd'
    http://www.latimes.com/world/worldno...#axzz2juHKzu2Q

Is she still hot though? No one is asking the pertinent questions.

Not so much now, since she's not in court.

What will Amanda do in court? What will she wear?

From a media perspective, this looks about as interesting as traffic court.
    http://multimedia.quotidiano.net/?me...&canale_page=1

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    Not so much now, since she's not in court.

What will Amanda do in court? What will she wear?

From a media perspective, this looks about as interesting as traffic court.
    http://multimedia.quotidiano.net/?me...&canale_page=1
    Yeah, look at all the empty seats!

I originally thought that Amanda not being there would be used against her (although I also think she had no choice but to stay home). But a side effect of her absense is that they actually seem to be paying attention to the facts of the case, instead of what she is wearing, or her hair, or if she smiled at someone or looked worried, or whatever.

Could it be that her absense has also put an end to the circus?

Seems like the court is in a weird place now. They had the knife examined (again). Found nothing new incriminating, and the only incriminating piece (Kercher's DNA) was long ago, and discredited by almost anyone that knows anything about forensic testing. Now that they didn't get the "slam dunk" of finding some new incriminating DNA, do they throw the knife out? And if they do, what do they have left?

* The infamous "sex game gone wrong" (with no evidence it ever existed)?
    * The decision by the Supreme Court in Guede's case that the crime was committed by multiple attackers (a decision made with only partial evidence heard, and before Knox and Sollecito even went to trial)?

I see two possible outcomes. 1) A conviction that is completely rediculous in reasoning, similar to Massei, or 2) An acquittal that says it was multiple attackers, the scene may have been staged, but they can't prove involvement of Knox or Sollecito with the existing evidence.

The real truth is the whole thing has been a farse from the beginning, but another verdict of that type will not get confirmed.

"I did not kill Meredith", Knox pleads in email to Italian court

Cristiano CorvinoReuters7:58 a.m. CST, December 17, 2013

FLORENCE, Italy (Reuters) - U.S. student Amanda Knox pleaded her innocence in the murder of her roommate Meredith Kercher in an email to an Italian court on Tuesday, saying she was afraid to appear in person for fear of conviction.

The case has dragged on for six years, frustrating attempts by the British student's family to discover the truth about her death, and with three trials doing little to clear up mysteries surrounding the details of the murder.

"I am innocent. I did not kill, I did not rape, I did not steal, I did not plot or instigate. I did not kill Meredith, I did not take part in her murder," the lengthy letter written in Italian said, read to the court by her lawyer Luciano Ghirga in closing arguments for the defense.

Kercher's half-naked body was found with more than 40 stab wounds and a deep gash in her throat in the apartment she shared with Knox in Perugia, a picturesque town where both were studying as university exchange students.

Knox explained the unusual step of defending herself in an email rather than in person by saying she feared lawyers for the Kercher family would succeed in their request to have her sentenced to three decades in prison.

"I am not present in court because I am scared. I fear that the prosecution's line will influence the decision and will blind everyone," read the email, sent from the United States where Knox now lives.

The student, 26, and her Italian former boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito, 29, were convicted of murdering Kercher in 2009, in a verdict overturned in a subsequent trial.

SLANDER CONVICTION

Now the case is being tried again in a courtroom in Florence after Italy's Supreme Court quashed the acquittals in March, citing inconsistencies in the case. Sollecito pleaded his innocence in an address to the court last month in which he described the charges as "absurd".

Ivory Coast-born Rudy Guede is serving a 16-year sentence for the 2007 murder, but the prosecution says the wounds of the 21-year-old Leeds University student indicate there was more than one attacker.

Knox, who has a standing conviction for slander for falsely implicating Congolese bar owner Patrick Lumumba in the crime, wrote in the letter that she made the accusation under pressure from police.

Francesco Maresca, the lawyer representing the Kercher family, dismissed her arguments as well-worn. The prosecution insists forensic evidence proves without doubt that Knox and Sollecito are guilty of the crime.

"Letters from those involved in the trial I'd take with a pinch of salt," Maresca told Reuters outside court in response to Knox's email.

A final verdict in the retrial is expected in mid-January.

That verdict would then need to be confirmed by the high court to become official, a process that would take months, and it is unclear whether the United States would agree to extradite Knox to serve any eventual sentence.

Knox has appealed against her slander conviction to the European Court of Human Rights, which has binding power over Italy, and could do the same if convicted of the murder.

The email concluded: "I am innocent. Raffaele is innocent. Meredith and her family deserve the truth. I ask you to put an end to this enormous injustice. In faith, Amanda Marie Knox."

(Writing by Naomi O'Leary; Editing by Alison Williams)

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/s...,5419861.story

Scanning email for calunnia. Please wait.

------------------------------------

I may be wrong about this, but I think the latest motive for murder put forth by the prosecution is an argument over an unflushed turd.