Page 5 of 136 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Thread: The Yankees

Bro it's beautiful.

Even though the Giants suffered a heartbreaking loss the Yankees win made it bearable. They kept announcing the Yankee score and showing clips from the game on the monitors and video board over the course of the game. Guys in front of me had radio connected headphones giving me updates, people would check their phones and yell the score out in the stands to cheers, and occasionally the stands would loudly fill with chants of "Let's Go Yankees"!!!! Many people in Gaints and Yankees jerseys and hats.

Probably the most remarkable monent came when the Giants scored their first touchdown of the game to take the lead and at that exact same moment the Yanks scored two runs to take the lead in their game. People started chanting "Let's Go Yankees"...."Let's Go Giants" back and forth; the Stadium was literally shaking; the whole place was up for grabs it was crazy!!

Getting on the train people started passing the word through the crowd that the Yankees won and are in the WS; people started cheering chanting and hugging and high fiving total strangers; it was amazing!!!!
    Last edited by JCMAN320; October 26th, 2009 at 04:05 AM.

A lot was written about the "cloud" hanging over the Yanks, not getting through the playoffs in recent years.

Overlooked was that the Angels have their own demons. They've been the dominant team in the West division since they won the WS in 2002.

They were eliminated by the Red Sox in 2004; White Sox in 2005; Red Sox in 2007 and 2008. It seemed to come out in the way they played - errors and mental mistakes uncharacteristic of the regular season.

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    Yankees in 6 over the Angels.

Split the first two. Win 2 out of 3 in Anaheim and win the 6th game back in the Bronx.

Glad I was right. Let's hope I'm right again:

Yankees in 7 over Phillies.
    Ahem! I believe I was right:

Quote Originally Posted by NYatKNIGHT View Post
    Win the 6th back in the Bronx, I agree, though I'm thinking they'll win the first two here and 1 out of 3 there.

So I think I'll stick with that formula for the WS.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

^ The end result is what really counts.

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    Glad I was right. Let's hope I'm right again:

Yankees in 7 over Phillies.

That was my call over the Angels too. LAA is too good to have been swept, but the Yankees are looking like the late 90s teams, and seem unstoppable.

I'm going to think big -- Yankees in Five this time.

Tentative pitching matchup:

Wed: Sabathia..........Lee
    Thu: Burnett............Martinez

Sat: Pettitte..............Hamels
    Sun: Sabathia...........?

To matchup Lee with Sabathia in games 1, 4 and 7, Lee would have to pitch on 3 days rest, which he has never done. The decision on game 4 will probably depend on where the series stands at that point. If not Lee, then Blanton, with Lee starting Monday on normal rest.

Mon: ?.....................?

For the Yanks, Burnett could go on 3 days rest, which he has done, but not as often as Sabathia. If it is Burnett, look for Posada to catch. With no DH, Yanks won't leave him out of the lineup. If not Burnett, Gaudin.

For Phillies, either Lee or Blanton. If Lee, he won't be available for game 7.

Wed: ?..................Martinez

For Yanks, Burnett on long rest. If Burnett not available, an interesting decision. Pettitte on 3 days rest or Gaudin. Either one could back up the other in the bullpen. Pettitte has benefited from an extra days rest, so I would hold him in reserve for a 7th game.

Thu: Sabathia..........Hamels or Lee

Matsui!!!!

Yeah, Mariano... absolutely, always, Mariano.

Andy is a slugger. Yankees in Five.

^^^ They're up 2-1, but I doubt they will reel 2 straight wins in a row. It is all about pitching right now. It looks as if the Yanks will start CC and Andy, on 3 days rest. I wonder how the Phills, will counter that?

^^^ I think it will be Blanton and then Lee again. You are probably right about NY not taking three straight in Philly, but what the heck -- I can dream, right?

If NY wins one more in Philadelphia, the Phillies will be in a world of trouble -- they'd have to win two in the Bronx against Andy and CC.

Phillies rotation will be:

Blanton - Lee - Martinez - Hamels (Happ?)

Yanks will go with:

Sabathia - Burnett - Pettitte - Sabathia. All on three days rest.

If Yanks win tonight (Blanton has ERA of 8), I think they should pitch Gaudin on Monday. Lee at home in a must win game; it's their best chance of winning any of the final three. Yanks would be happy to get out of CBP with 2 wins.

Burnett is 4-0 in games with 3 days rest, but if he loses game 5, then the Yanks have to come back with Pettitte in game 6. He's 5-6 on 3 days rest. I would set it up to take it in 6 games with Burnett at home. Pettitte could back up either 6 or 7out of the bullpen.

Funny how the biggest call of the night - the homer that hit the camera - had a lot of discussion from McCarver and Buck, except one obvious detail: Why was a camera set up over the outfield wall?

Since a replay was shown from that camera (only once though), it must have been a Fox camera. You'd think a one in a million shot like that would be replayed over and over. Wonder if someone called the booth and told them to shut up.

TV has become way too intrusive in sports. This is the first WS that was scheduled to end in November.

And sometimes TV screws itself. This weekend is usually the "second season" start of the NFL. No Sunday night game would be scheduled against the WS, and because the football stadium is right across Pattison St from CBP, they had to schedule Giants-Eagles at 1PM, same time as Jets-Dolphins.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    Phillies rotation will be:

I think they should pitch Gaudin on Monday. Lee at home in a must win game; it's their best chance of winning any of the final three. Yanks would be happy to get out of CBP with 2 wins.

Burnett is 4-0 in games with 3 days rest, but if he loses game 5, then the Yanks have to come back with Pettitte in game 6. He's 5-6 on 3 days rest. I would set it up to take it in 6 games with Burnett at home. Pettitte could back up either 6 or 7out of the bullpen.
    I am warming to this idea of pitching Gaudin instead of Burnett and then Pettite on short rest, in part for the reasons you state here, and in part because Gaudin has proven he can throw a good game. He's earned a shot, and the other pitchers will be ready to go if he doesn't best Lee. Lee will be tough, one assumes.

Funny how the biggest call of the night - the homer that hit the camera - had a lot of discussion from McCarver and Buck, except one obvious detail: Why was a camera set up over the outfield wall?
    Actually they did mention this -- but McCarver tried to argue that the ball might not have gone out if the camera wasn't there. This seemed obviously wrong-headed however, since the ball's height and trajectory would have carried it at least to the top of the wall where it would have bounced over.
    Last edited by hbcat; November 1st, 2009 at 08:23 AM. Reason: posted too quickly