Page 73 of 135 FirstFirst ... 236369707172737475767783123 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,095 of 2019

Thread: The Yankees

His contract is even heftier than that: $11 million this year and $14 million in 2013. Twenty-five million bucks is a heap of dough for a 7th-inning guy who is not always consistent.

He might be worth that as a closer, but why would any team other than the Yankees risk that much money after his injuries and occasional ineffectiveness to find out if he could again handle the closer job the way he did a couple of years ago?

The Yankees would need to pay a good portion of the money due, but then why would they do that just to unload him, when he seems to be improving? There's no saying for sure that Hughes would be better than Soriano in the pen at this point. I think Soriano is in the Bronx till 2014.

I hate Carl Pavano.

Quote Originally Posted by hbcat View Post
    He might be worth that as a closer, but why would any team other than the Yankees risk that much money after his injuries and occasional ineffectiveness to find out if he could again handle the closer job the way he did a couple of years ago?
    This is all idle speculation, but teams will pay for a proven closer, even if there's a risk.

The Rangers signed Joe Nathan to a three year contract for $23 million. He missed all of 2010 because of elbow surgery; he was ineffective in 2011, and the Twins cut him loose. He'll be 38 years old at the end of the season, five years older than Soriano.

I doubt the Yankees would unload Soriano by assuming a big chunk of his salary, but the situation is somewhat similar to AJ Burnett. Burnett would have been an OK bottom of the rotation innings eater, but as a high priced starter, it was hard to justify his taking a spot in the rotation.

If Hughes goes into the BP with Soriano, what are their roles? Neither is suited for long relief.

You wind up with the same thing as with AJ - a player taking up a valuable spot on the roster.

^ Idle speculation is our specialty.

Considering the salary issue it would seem more likely that Hughes could be dealt in a trade than Soriano.

One strategy might be to wait until Soriano works himself into form -- a dozen really effective outings, say -- and then attempt to trade him. He's not terrible right now, but he hasn't been a sure thing since he's been in NY. It still seems he is working is way back from arm trouble.

He's only pitched 3.0 innings but has given up 5 walks. Considering he only walked 14 in all of 2010, he still needs to prove himself before he's trade-able.

Quote Originally Posted by eddhead View Post
    I hate Carl Pavano.
    Still haven't forgiven him for his cracked ribs and bruised buttocks? He was a car wreck with NY.

Quote Originally Posted by hbcat View Post
    One strategy might be to wait until Soriano works himself into form
    I'm not so sure that he isn't already in form.

I think the problem is above the neck. Two years ago, he led the league in saves; now, he isn't even set-up. Cashman has made some mistakes, but he was right in opposing the Soriano signing.

We've been talking about Hughes, but maybe it's Freddie G who goes to the BP.

The way he's pitching he wouldn't be much help there either.

^
    But the BP doesn't need any help, right?

The way I see it, putting anyone in the BP may seem good because you're adding a body, but it really weakens the team.

The Yankees are carrying 13 pitchers now, and as a result, they don't have adequate replacements for everyday players. With Gardner on the DL, there's no one to backup Granderson in CF, so he's out there for the duration.

On a related note, they don't have a true utility infielder for the middle. Nunez hardly fulfills the role; at best he's a replacement at his primary SS, but doesn't have the defensive skills to switch positions. Maybe he should be taking practice in the OF, but we can forget about hitting the cut-off man.

Arod has solid backup in Chavez, who can probably backup Tex as well.

I agree. If he doesn't turn it around, and probably soon, he may be off the team through trade or release. They're going to give Pettite another shot for certain, so Freddy G probably has another two starts to shine, if he can. Even he does improve, he still might be traded.

Saw an article about Jeter's chances to reach 4,000 hits recently. It may not happen, but it's a good indication of how far he's bounced back that pundits are now imagining things at the other extreme. Last April he was washed up, as I recall.

Four more hits for Jeets last night.

I'd hate to see Jeter's last few years be like Pete Rose. In his last four, Rose got 387 hits to go from 3869 to 4256. He played for three teams and only the 1983 Phillies went to the postseason. He spent part of one season on the Expos before he ended up player-manager back at Cincinnati. He hit a total of two home runs in for years, and was awful at first base. It was obvious he was just collecting hits.

Classic quote by Mickey Mantle: "If I hit that many singles, I would've worn a dress."

I see Jeter somewhere in the top five (above 3514). Good place to be.

Jeter does not need 4000 hits to prove anything, but we don't know what he'll be capable of till we see it. Plus 3500 would be wonderful. It will be fun to watch.

I do think he may get close to 4000, however. The age question was overplayed last year. He's obviously still got it.

Default Michael Pineda out for 2012

Oh well...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Michael Pineda out for 2012

By Wallace Matthews
    ESPNNewYork.com

ARLINGTON, Texas -- New York Yankees pitcher Michael Pineda will undergo surgery on Tuesday to repair a labrum tear in his right shoulder and is lost for the season.
    The surgery is an arthroscopic procedure and will be performed at the Hospital for Special Surgery in Manhattan by New York Mets team physician Dr. David Altchek at the request of Pineda and his agent, Fern Cuza.

According to Yankees team doctor Chris Ahmad, who will assist in the surgery, the recovery for such an injury is 12 months from the date of the surgery barring any setbacks in rehab, meaning Pineda will not be available until May 2013 at the earliest.

The saddest part about Michael Pineda's injury isn't how it will affect the Yankees rotation -- it's that Yankees fans won't get to see him pitch this year, writes David Schoenfield. SweetSpot

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman called the injury "a tragic diagnosis" for the 23-year-old right-hander acquired in the offseason from the Seattle Mariners in exchange for Jesus Montero, the jewel of the Yankees farm system.

Pineda, who suffered from diminished velocity on his fastball all spring and has been on the disabled list since complaining of pain and weakness behind his right shoulder after his last preseason appearance on March 30, was shut down 15 pitches into his first rehab start in Tampa on Saturday after experiencing pain again.

Cashman said he believed the injury took place on the final pitch of that outing, but acknowledged the possibility that a smaller, undetectable injury was present in the shoulder, which was causing Pineda's earlier problems.

He was flown to New York and given a dye-contrast MRI on Tuesday, which revealed the tear, but the Yankees did not reveal the finding because Cuza had requested Pineda get a second opinion from Altchek first.

That examination took place Wednesday, at which the diagnosis was confirmed.

Ahmad described himself as "cautiously optimistic" that Pineda will regain his ability after surgery, because Pineda's rotator cuff is undamaged, but he acknowledged that "shoulder surgery is challenging." The fact that the surgery will be performed arthroscopically rather than with an open incision also works in Pineda's favor, Ahmad said.

Pineda was 9-10 with a 3.74 ERA for the weak-hitting Mariners in his rookie season, but his effectiveness fell off markedly in the second half of the season, when his ERA rose and his velocity declined after the All-Star break.

Pineda came to training camp at 280 pounds, at least 10 pounds over his playing weight, and struggled all spring with his fastball velocity, which rarely got above 91 mph and often languished in the high 80s.

"He didn't have his velocity from Day One, and we didn't know why," Cashman said. "This must have been responsible. Clearly, he was fighting through something."

But Cashman was careful to absolve the Mariners of blame.

"In no way do I believe, or do the New York Yankees believe, that the Seattle Mariners had any knowledge of any issues here with Michael Pineda prior to the trade or anything of that nature," he said. "He was a fully healthy player we acquired. We had full access to his medicals, which were clean. We had the opportunity to do a full physical exam, which we did, which came out clean. Michael has never had a shoulder issue nor has he complained of one with the Mariners, nor has he ever had any tests on the shoulder with the Mariners.

"This is just an unfortunate circumstance that can happen. It happened. Regardless of what happened, and I know he hasn't thrown a pitch for us, it's just timing is unfortunate. The Mariners obviously, there's nothing there. No further questions to pursue on that issue. (General manager) Jack (Zduriencik) and the Mariners, we got a healthy player to the best of everyone's knowledge as they conducted themselves."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

http://espn.go.com/espn/print?id=7855551&type=story

"Cashman said he believed the injury took place on the final pitch of that outing, but acknowledged the possibility that a smaller, undetectable injury was present in the shoulder, which was causing Pineda's earlier problems."

Brian Cashman can say it as often as he likes but you have to think that Pineda's drop in velocity after the last All Star break was likely a sign and symptom of this shoulder injury. I don't necessarily believe anyone is to blame -- it's a sports injury and none of the expert medical staff caught it in time -- but no way did this tear just happen on the last pitch he threw.

Forum Veteran

Well good job Cashman for kicking the tires. Jack Z., you are one heck of a used car salesman. You may not have known about the injury, but you must have at least heard a funny noise coming from under the hood, right buddy?