Page 1 of 136 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: The Yankees

Default The Yankees

The odds are in the Yanks favor if you look at the amount of wins they have. In the only 5 previous times the Yanks won 100 games or more in a season, they won the WS each of those years.

I would love for the road to the WS to go through Fenway during the ALCS. It'll be fitting to beat them in the ALCS given what happened the last time we played them in 2004 in the ALCS. Put that monster the bed lol.

I don't think many Yankee fans would boo Joe Torre, though A-Rod may snarl, but facing Joe in the WS would be wild.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

^ They might not have booed him, but didn't the fans at the Stadium chanted, "Joe must go, Joe must go" a couple of years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by JCMAN320 View Post
    In the only 5 previous times the Yanks won 100 games or more in a season, they won the WS each of those years.
    That is incorrect. The Yankees have won 100+ games more than 5 times. They won 101 in both 2003 and 2004. We all know what happened to them in those years and wasn't winning the WS.

They won 103 games in 2002 and was again eliminated from the playoffs. It's all right here.

Having the best record, home field advantage throughout, better season records against playoff opponents, etc. means nothing in the post season.

After these last 9 years, Yankee fans of all people should know that very well.

My bad antinimby your right I read the info wrong. Still though this team is very good it reminds me of the early 90s teams. I've been following this team all my life and beside the bad info I read I am very knowledgeable about the full Yankees history.

Same old Kyle Farnsworth.

LOL

Lol Zip I loved it!!!

Okay, I'm going to start the predictions:

Yankees in 4 over the Twins.

Yanks in 3.

Detroit would have been a little tougher. Twins don't have that one dominant starter like Verlander. I thought maybe it would be better to play a team that limped into the playoffs with distractions (M Cabrera), rather than a hot team like the Twins.

But although TV commentators have made much of the Twins record over the last five weeks, it doesn't look so impressive when you consider who they played:

at CLE
    at TOR
    OAK
    CLE
    DET
    at CHG
    at KC
    at DET
    KC

The only team they played with a winning record was DET, and it turned out 4-3. The others were a combined . 443, and 2 of them, KC and CLE, lost 97 games. In a must-win game against KC last weekend, the Twins had a 10-0 lead, and hung on to win 10-7. They rank 23rd in team ERA.

The 3 batters the Yanks will have to worry about are Mauer, Cuddyer, and Kubel. The rest of the lineup is weak.

The playoff game last night couldn't have been scripted better for the Yanks. Besides the extra innings and late flight to New York, Twins had to pitch their best starter, Scott Baker, who won't be available until the 3rd game. Reliever Brian Duensing (4 ER in 2 innings vs Yanks earlier this year) will start against Sabathia.

The wrinkle for the Yanks is the Burnett-Posada thing, which could become a major issue if Burnett doesn't pitch well on Friday.

Don't buy all the hype about pressure in the post-season. Those Yank teams lost because they went in with weaker pitching, and were out-pitched. Twins are going to need offense to win.

Don't bet the mortgage/rent money. I've been wrong before.

Cool We Run This City!!!! Sorry Mets!!!

Comeback leaves New York buzzing
    Fans express joy for A-Rod, an embattled playoff veteran

By Brittany Ghiroli / Special to MLB.com

10/10/09 3:40 PM ET

NEW YORK -- A.J. Burnett, Friday's Yankees starter against the Twins for Game 2 of the American League Division Series, was icing his arm when the walls around him started to shake, the result of the sellout crowd of 50,006 at the new Yankee Stadium jumping in celebratory glee.

The largest turnout in the short history of the new Stadium, Friday's boisterous crowd not only clued in walk-off hero Mark Teixeira of his fateful 11th-inning homer -- which he initially thought was a double -- the legions of Bronx faithful proved captain Derek Jeter right.

"It's the fans that make it what it is," Jeter said when asked about the postseason home-field advantage of his team's new $1.5 billion ballpark.

And on Saturday morning, it was those same fans who flooded radio phone lines and shared the sports sections of the local papers on subways and in taxicabs. Many fans called to proclaim their unbending allegiance and discuss the plethora of "Can you believe it?" moments still fresh in the minds of millions following the Yankees' 4-3 win in 11 innings.

"Extra Special" read the front page of the New York Daily News, with a picture of Teixeira hugging Friday's other hero, Alex Rodriguez. Despite putting together All-Star seasons as a Yankee from 2004-08, A-Rod had endured playoff struggles in those seasons -- a sore subject among Yankees fans, who demanded more from baseball's highest-paid player.

"I'm just finally glad he got the monkey off his back," said longtime Yankees fan Tim May after watching Rodriguez go 2-for-4 with a game-tying two-run homer in the ninth inning. "Because once it's off, it's off for good. And personally, he's been tortured [in the media] and living in Jeter's shadow. I'm really happy for him."

A Columbus, Ohio, native, May flew across the country in 1996 to see the Yankees win the World Series, and he's confident that this year's team will also be worth the plane fare.

"The last couple of years, I think you almost took it for granted that the Yankees would be [in the playoffs]," May said. "But this year's team feels different -- when they won the [American League East], just watching them celebrate like they were kids winning their high school championship, and [Friday night], with the pies in their face. It's a new feeling with the mix of veterans and younger guys. It feels like it did in '96 again."

"It's back to the norm," said John Alvarez of Brick, N.J. "[Missing the playoffs] last year was just like, 'Wow -- what's this about?' And now, with these games, it feels like everybody's talking about it. It's the talk of the town. It's what you expect from the Yankees."

Alvarez, who went to Game 1 on Wednesday -- a 7-2 Yankees win -- with his friend Steven Moody, said that the first postseason at the new Yankee Stadium has already become one for the ages.

"It's something I'm going to tell my grandkids about," Alvarez said.

The sense of Yankees pride was commonplace in the entire city, as the streets were littered with people, both young and old, sporting shiny new postseason garb. With T-shirt slogans ranging from a World Series mantra of "Number 27" to "You've been Teix-ecuted" -- an ode to Teixiera -- the pulse of the city was all about the Bombers, with Yankees blue setting the tone.

"My heart can't take all of this excitement," said 90-year-old Barbara Standish, who woke up her neighbors with her late-night cheering during Friday's win.

"I've seen some great times, but this -- this is truly something special," said the lifelong Bronx resident. "And I couldn't be happier for A-Rod. It just feels like everything is coming full circle."

It was a sentiment echoed everywhere, as "The City that Never Sleeps" found its residents in a dream-like state and one win away from a trip to the AL Championship Series against either the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim or the Boston Red Sox.

A commenter known as Mickeyd7 summed it up perfectly with a toast written in the Yankees' official fan forum:

"Here's to a proud organization for certain, a class organization for sure, a good solid profitable organization, one our fans support whether we sit in the bleacher seats, box seats, corporate suites [or] owner's suite," read the online post. "We all are so proud today -- tears of joy run down our collective faces, dripping with pleasure. Celebration is happening throughout the Yankees Universe.

"To the players, never have I've been more proud of a team than this team. To us fans, walk with your heads up today. Walk tall, proud Yankees fans -- I hope this team goes all the way!"
    Last edited by JCMAN320; October 11th, 2009 at 11:02 PM. Reason: correction

Talking Karma!!!

Ballgame over!!!! American League Division Series Over!!!! Yankees Win...Thhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeee YANKESS WIN!!!!!!

Construction worker buries David Ortiz's jersey in new Yankee Stadium.......Papi slumps for the season and then admits his steroid use at the new Stadium, Yanks wind up owning the Sox second half of the season and the Sox get swept out of the postseason. Karmas a bitch Boston lol!

Yankees in 6 over the Angels.

Split the first two. Win 2 out of 3 in Anaheim and win the 6th game back in the Bronx.

Win the 6th back in the Bronx, I agree, though I'm thinking they'll win the first two here and 1 out of 3 there. What shitty weather we're having for baseball, though the weather is crappy all over the country, it seems. And to stay on topic, the Red Sox suck!

Wow. What a game!

ARod is a stud this post season.

^^^^

Untill it comes down to actually closing out the series.

Just woke up.

That's an altered photo, right?

Page 1 of 136 123451151101 ... LastLast