Thread: Mice in our new apartment

Default Mice in our new apartment

My sister and I just moved to New York on Jan 1. We keep the kitchen very clean, but we discovered that we have mice in our kitchen. We each saw one, so we decided to buy some traps. The first night we had traps out, we caught 4 of them. The next day we caught another. It's really surprising, since it's a pretty nice apartment. My sister bought some steel wool and stuffed it into the crevices around the pipes under the sink, but while she was under there she noticed that the cabinets aren't finished. The area next to the dishwasher is just open, and then the floor under the dishwasher is unfinished. So basically mice have free open passage from the guts of the building into our kitchen. She called the super and he came to look at it, but basically said since the dishwasher is so cheap and has no casing, he can't finish the area around it because there would be no ventilation for the dishwasher. I don't even know if this is true or not. But the end result is that we have no way to patch up the hole the mice are coming through.

We hadn't had a mouse in a few days, but tonight we caught another one. Luckily they haven't exited the kitchen yet (my room is right next door). I just ordered some dehydrated fox urine repellent, but I'm not sure if that will work.

Does anybody have some tips for us? It seems like if there's no way for the dishwasher to be there and the floor to be finished properly, the dishwasher should not be there. I know we'd gladly get rid of the dishwasher if that meant no more mice. What should we do? It's gotten so that I avoid going into our kitchen at all costs, and this seems totally unreasonable. It can't be our fault, since we just moved in, right? What are my rights; what can I demand from the super? Anything?

I'm not licensed for NY but do a ton of remolding construction (without seeing your set up I'm only guessing)...

Q: Do I need to have a dishwasher sink vent in order for my dishwasher to work?

(Is your dishwasher next to your sink- if yes...)

A: No the kitchen sink vent will cover the dishwasher

Either way-If your so put out by the mice that you don't care about using your dishwasher, you could probably fill in the gaps
    with some expanding foam- Which could later be removed

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Plus it's so cold right now that the mice are more likely to want to come in. I had problems off and on until I got a sonic device that repels them. I think it was around $50.00.

I've not had mice in years. But this winter I have one who seems to come and go, but just keeps coming back. I've only actually seen him once, scurrying across the floor. Cute, but no thanks. I've put out traps with both cheese and peanut butter but he's not biting. However, he loves my potted plants and in the morning I often find signs that he's been digging about. He seems to be particular in what he likes and tends to favor the dirt around the elephant ear ficus. Thinking of getting the sticky pads, but the thought of the results creeps me out.

My sister said to use bacon with the peanut butter.

Get a Mouser.

I can only imagine what the kitties would do to my plants.

I'm a firm believer in pets that spend most of their time out of doors.

If I could find a mega-venus fly trap-type house plant then I'd be just fine.

But bacon and peanut butter. Yum. Who could resist?

(hopefully, not even a mouse)

http://tinyurl.com/2ag28z Front_Porch's Avatar

L1, try putting out cotton balls soaked with peppermint oil (Whole Foods should carry).

Knitters say that works.

ali r.

Will do ^

(Where have you been, Ali R.?)

Fresh natural PB worked for me.

Also, look at the areas around your washer, is it COMPLETELY exposed at the back?

If it is only a gap, get some steel wool and start stuffing. Also, some boric acid for the base works for them and for roaches.

Look around and see if there is anything else that woold need blockage. (I see your sis took care of some stuff already).

But a dishwasher needing a vent? From what? Most DW's have front facing vents. Casings are not needed to keep things from venting, they are usually to keep all the wires and parts intact, so your landlord may be BSing you. Take some pictures and post them, let us know what is up.

If that doesn't work, there is always the Department of Health....

http://tinyurl.com/2ag28z Front_Porch's Avatar

oh, L1, what a year. We had some personal stuff, and business was awful -- I've been on streeteasy mostly, picking up clients, but I hope I never have to live through 2009 again.

On the upside, the fact that I am back is a coincident indicator of economic recovery. ;>

ali

Quote Originally Posted by Front_Porch View Post
    picking up clients,
    ...has it come to that?

Banned Member

I had a mouse invading my apartment today. I know where he is going and where he is coming from. Tomorrow it is glue trap city and I'll have no remorse.

Can you jam up the hole with steel wool?