View Poll Results: Should I stay in Manhattan or move to Manhattan Beach (California)?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stay in Manhattan and just change your style.

1 33.33%
  • You will have a better time in Manhattan Beach. Pack it up and go.

2 66.67%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dating in NYC and Moving from here

Default Dating in NYC and Moving from here

Let me tell you my situation. I called my father up last week and asked him how he was doing. He is over 70 on a respirator due to emphysema. He replied back to me that he did not do anything all day as he could not get up out of the house. I thought to myself that that might one day be me and its important to think about my life now.

I am 35 going on 36 in March. I reflected upon my dating life in Southern California vs. the life I have now in NYC. The experiences I had in California seemed to be a lot more fun then what I am going through in NYC. Im not sure if I am doing something wrong, but it seems to be that NYC women are more prudish and have their own protocol when it comes to dating. The women in California seem to just go with the flow and it seems like they want to have fun more then anything else. Anything seems to fly in California whereas I grind through the same dating process with each woman in NYC.

For example, women in California let you know that they like you immediately. Kissing and fornification is something that sometimes comes on the first or second date. They seem more informal in regards to the way they go about things. I have had some of that experience in NYC, but it seems like NYC women want to grind through a process of multiple dates and it seems like dating is a job interview for a higher relationship. NYC women seem more concerned about their career and work then about going out on a fun date.

So I am not getting any younger. I am thinking in a few months just to pack it up out of Manhattan and move to Manhattan Beach (California). I do want to get married one day, but its just not happening now. So if its not happening I figure just to have as much fun as I can in the meantime. I figure I can have a better single life in California then the single life I have in NYC.

I will post a poll and let the audience decide.

Banned Member

Quote Originally Posted by nyorcali View Post
    For example, women in California let you know that they like you immediately. Kissing and fornification is something that sometimes comes on the first or second date. They seem more informal in regards to the way they go about things. I have had some of that experience in NYC, but it seems like NYC women want to grind through a process of multiple dates and it seems like dating is a job interview for a higher relationship. NYC women seem more concerned about their career and work then about going out on a fun date.
    Yeah, talks about "fornication" will always dampen the dating process.

Quote Originally Posted by nyorcali View Post
    I will post a poll and let the audience decide.
    The IQ demonstrated here is off the charts.

Cool

Wow, your dad is on a death bed and you are thinking about the dating scene.

And after XX years in cold and hostile NYC where nobody "fornicates" (at least not compared to those SoCal floozies) you decide to make a first post on a website asking everyone what you should do with your life....

That is one Kosher ham sandwich there bubbie.

Seriously. Your first post and you are asking about your Life and what direction you should go with it.

I say you should go left. Then strait for 300 yards, then kinda diagonal for a bit. You should meet your one true fornicator on F-Me corner right on Pubic Avenue having a Bangh Meh sandwich. (The Vietnamese no how to make a good Bangh Meh!!!).

Or you can get serious, become a part of the community before posting stuff like this.

If you think you'll regret not having fun now, wait till the guilt sets in when your father is gone. Go move closer to him, where-ever that is.

This is assuming you're not a psychopath (not the serial killer kind, just the don't give a damn about other people run-of-the mill kind - they're more common than people like to admit). In that case, go to California.

I love this:

"I called my father up last week and asked him how he was doing. He is over 70 on a respirator due to emphysema. He replied back to me that he did not do anything all day as he could not get up out of the house. I thought to myself that that might one day be me and its important to think about my life now."

^ could you imagine what it must be like to be out on a date with this guy?

--
    Last edited by Fabrizio; January 19th, 2010 at 10:30 AM.

/me tries........

nope.

The comparison isn't so much one place against another as one time period against another.

When you're very young, dating is easier, an end in itself.

As you get older, life's problems, plans and complications, like worrying about a seriously ill parent....

Oh wait, never mind.

Go to California; date empty-headed women who don't smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by dtolman View Post
    If you think you'll regret not having fun now, wait till the guilt sets in when your father is gone. Go move closer to him, where-ever that is.

This is assuming you're not a psychopath (not the serial killer kind, just the don't give a damn about other people run-of-the mill kind - they're more common than people like to admit). In that case, go to California.
    I visit my father at least once a week and speak with him more often. I know his feelings on the matter and that is to simply have fun. He wants me to do what I feel would make me happy. He would respect my wishes to move back to California and I would not feel guilty later on about the decision. I keep in touch with my father

The second part of your post about a "psychopath" I have found is what many people feel of strangers in the NYC area. Women seem more paranoid about men around here and that concern is simply unfounded. The most educated and career minded people I have met in my lifetime have been in NYC. Even mentally challenged people seem to have jobs and work in the local stores as clerks. There is less of a reason to be paranoid around NYC then in most other places of the world. I am thinking this paranoia was as a result of what happened in NYC with crime and drugs over 25 years ago, but the scene has dramatically changed from that era. In fact, there are probably more psychopaths in California then anything else, but the women in California are less paranoid.

I have plenty of juicy X-rated women related stories from California. I have some stories of that here in NYC, but the quality and quantity of California experiences far outweighs the NYC experiences. My main memories of NYC seem to be work related where as the memories of California seem to be of just a party time.

The purpose of this thread is to collect ideas on the issue. I am getting older and have witnessed people age in the NYC area. I am not very old yet so I would like to experience as much as I can before I get to that point in life. When I think about what memories I would like to have in the future, I want to remember having a good time. I would like to have a family one day, but its just not happening right now and so I'd like to have a last bash.

A few of my buddies pointed out other alternative cities like Seattle and Washington DC. DC is a different place and the distance to NYC can be easily driven in a few hours. It has I think 8 colleges loaded with younger women and a more liberal atmosphere.

Of course I logged in and this is my first post. My purpose is not to troll, but to collect a few good ideas on what other guys think. However, I know this might be a controversial issue with some so I thought I would put the topic under a random handle that I will not use again. I just want to remain anonymous if that is ok. As well, I posted the poll as a gag and thought it might be funny.

In response to the talking about fornification remark above. Yes most women in NYC get turned off by any remark about sex you make. However, the women in California that I met seemed to be at ease with talking about sex. Like I said, the crazier time was in California while the more "prudish" time seems to be NYC.
    Last edited by nyorcali; January 19th, 2010 at 02:43 PM.

seems like you already made up your mind

If you're looking for an easy lay, then move back to LA.

You'll find it here too if you dig young enough. Once you hit 30, all the women are looking for a mate.

The business of NY is business - _everything_ else here flows from that idea and the natives have that mindset engrained in - even in dating.

I wouldn't trade here for anywhere else in the world.

Go west young man, go west.

Well, I am not going to make any move until April or thereafter because I want to spend some additional time with my family and take a while to really think about things. I kind of like the Washington DC idea. I will think more about this in the coming week and come to a decision later on. I have learned in life its best to talk things out and think before reacting and coming to a conclusion.

I am not just looking for an easy lay, but a fun time where I can look back and smile. Getting layed is one part of the fun equation though and it certainly does contribute a lot to a good time for a single guy.

Hey look... who am I kidding? It's why I live in Italy.

What you said about time periods is true, but I am thinking of a smaller scale. It seems like the singles scene picks up right around March and then starts falling away sometime after September. What is happening, in my humble opinion, is when it starts to get warmer women's libido seems to elevate and then when it gets colder their libido seems to die down. The advantage of warmer climates in more southerly places is that women's hormones seem to rage all year round. A guy in NYC can save a lot of cash by hibernating during the fall/winter and focusing their resources on the spring/summer.

The women in Southern California are not empty headed, but represent the average person in the United States. The women in New York City are not the average. The NYC women tend to be more educated and career minded then their counterparts. So when you are in NYC you tend to be dealing with a woman that is more serious minded. I would not call the SoCal women empty headed, but simply focused on other priorities in life.

About 10 years ago, I was super focused and appeared like many other New Yorkers on the subway in the morning wearing a suit and tie. I really cared about working and getting ahead. Today I enjoy a certain balance of working and play. I dont want to be in my Dad's shoes one day and all I have to look back at is working. In recent times, I have gone on some super month-long trips overseas which seemed to help me with balancing things out. Going anywhere overseas is truly a party time where no one seems to care. It seems like NYC is the only place where people seem to be so focused on business and enterprise. Everywhere else seems to be as much about play as about work. NYC revolves around work and everything else is secondary.

The above are generalizations on people which may or may not be accurate. These are just my perceptions and others may have a different view. Thought I might include that disclaimer

Sorry if my English is bad in typing these passages, but my focus in the morning is not on proofing a random message in a forum...

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    The comparison isn't so much one place against another as one time period against another.

When you're very young, dating is easier, an end in itself.

As you get older, life's problems, plans and complications, like worrying about a seriously ill parent....

Oh wait, never mind.

Go to California; date empty-headed women who don't smoke.
    Last edited by nyorcali; January 20th, 2010 at 08:18 AM.

Banned Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizio View Post
    Hey look... who am I kidding? It's why I live in Italy.
    Get much fornication there?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast