Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cityspire

Default Cityspire

The Cityspire building - the view from Top of the Rock - observation deck atop GE building in Rockefeller Center.

Forum Veteran

Likely the least-known of New York's tallest buildings. A shame, though; its grouping with the Carnegie Hall and Metropolitan Towers is spectacular.

It's really a powerful looking tower. The triumvirate of Carnegie Hall Tower, Metropolitan Tower and CitySpire is one of the best skyscraper groupings I know of.

Forum Veteran

Trivia time: Upon the building's completion, residents of nearby buildings complained of hearing a loud whistling noise -- which turned out to be the wind blowing through Cityspire's dome. For better or for worse, the problem was fixed, and the dome no longer whistles.

Banned Member

Quote Originally Posted by TLOZ Link5
    Likely the least-known of New York's tallest buildings. A shame, though; its grouping with the Carnegie Hall and Metropolitan Towers is spectacular.
    I'm pretty sure it was actually taller. It exceeded the permitted height when originally completed and had to be deconstructed.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider
    I'm pretty sure it was actually taller. It exceeded the permitted height when originally completed and had to be deconstructed.
    You're thinking of an apartment building somewhere on (I think) 96th Street. Cityspire did exceed its height limit, but none of it was later demolished. They compensated for what amounted to a 14-foot excess height violation by building dance studios for the Department of Cultural Affairs adjacent to the tower.

http://greatgridlock.net/NYC/nycadd.html

This building should be ugly.

Look at it closely...take it apart: that lame orange-squeezer at the top.... the light-grey metal facing... and so on. Yet somehow it all works and manages to look great. It´s really nicely and logically proportioned. It´s even getting a patina of age that looks perfectly fine.
    Last edited by Fabrizio; November 3rd, 2005 at 06:11 PM.

Fabrizio, your description ^^ reminded me of something:

If memory serves, back in the day Cher lived in the Cityspire and at the time was often quoted about the weird wind noises ...

(talk about weird wind noises )

Cher: a friend of mind lives at the Dakota .... Cher did everything possible to get an apartment there...yet despite being a show-bizzy building, the co-op board board would not accept her!

IMO the Dakota is perfect. Seems nothing more needs to be said.

Cityspire is a tower that I like. But I wish it was more visible. It is sort of hiddden in the jungle of other towers near by. I really like that dome, now with the close up.

Great Photo Edward! By the way I can see some of the hills afar!

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1
    IMO the Dakota is perfect. Seems nothing more needs to be said.
    Its hardly perfect

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Default Veering off topic...

Interesting thread would be "Buildings that Cher has lived in". I know she had a large loft near Astor Place in the early 90's. Plus Chastity was living on West 14th when Mommy caught her act -

Default Shameless name droppings:

"Its hardly perfect"

Well, it is dark and gloomy. Even my friendīs facing the park. But itīs a nice dark and gloomy. I had the pleasure of visiting Gilda Radnerīs on the 72nd street side at the back. That was very dark and gloomy. Lights on during the day.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast