Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forum Threads - Management and Editing

Default Forum Threads - Management and Editing

I've been more guilty than anyone of doing this just lately, and I wondered what other members' thoughts are about it. From a quick internet search, guidelines seem to vary about whether it violates forum etiquette or not.

As etiquette does dictate consistently, I always try not to create new threads unnecessarily if a relevant thread always exists and is reasonably easy to find using the search function.

I'm also curious because I wasn't sure if I should've put this post here or where I ended up putting it, here. The first thread seemed relevant to an extent, but was very old and with little participation.

Digressing a bit, on the subject of the NYC Neighborhoods thread linked above, it now contains posts about neighborhoods throughout the 5 boroughs, and I wondered if it's not difficult/too time-consuming whether it would be useful to split it into different threads for each borough, maybe to point users to their specific interests more precisely (although the thread isn't comparatively that long, yet). Even perhaps leading to a sub forum for Neighborhoods of NYC, with a place to also consolidate the proliferation of neighborhood-related questions? Some posts in the existing thread are real estate oriented but not all. I know we have similar posts and specific neighborhood threads scattered all through the forum as well, though.

Feedback from the mods and other members appreciated.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Just me but I tend to skip over cut and paste thread entries.

In my opinion reviving an old thread is usually fine. There some occasions however when it is wrong. For example in the past I have seem people continue an argument that had been unanswered in months/years.

As for new threads, if there are enough posts to justify it. As for a sub forum, again if it has enough volume to justify it but I'm not sure what you are describing does.

Banned Member

I agree with Alonzo and will look at splitting the threads you mentioned.

Banned Member

Ok....

I've split / merged posts into 5 threads:

(Located in New York Real Esate)
    Manhattan Neighborhoods

(Located in Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens and S.I. Real State)
    Queens Neighborhoods
    Brooklyn Neighborhoods
    Staten Island Neighborhoods
    Bronx Neighborhoods

I've added tags to them all, so a quick search will get them to you.

Good work, Merry.

^Yes!

To answer the original question, for the most part I think it is better to post in older, related threads than start a new thread even if it's been a while. Alonzo's point is well taken, so there are exceptions, but often there is good, relevant posts and advice in older threads that would otherwise be forgotten or lost. Sometimes a more broad title helps bridge the topics. We've taken many queues from you, Merry (and others), about threads that need to be merged, split, or retitled, and that seems to work well.

If memory serves, we at one time began to accumulate an overabundance of sub-forums until Edward put a stop to it and reorganized all of the forums. So a new sub-forum would have to be well justified.

^ I agree with this.

I also agree with the merging of threads where possible.

I notice today, that Merry and myself have posted similar articles about the same subject, on two different threads.

The threads in question are Clinton Developments and Clinton/Hells Kitchen.

Other multi thread subjects that may be worth looking at for possible merging are,

Coney Island, Coney Island Rennaisance, Coney Island Redevelopment.

and

Landmark Preservation; Petitions etc. and The Landmarks Preservation Commision.

There may be good reasons for keeping separate threads but perhaps worth looking at.

^ Also Washington Square and Washington Square Park.

Thanks for that ^^.

Many of these threads are present in different forums, like NY Guide for Visitors and also NY Guide for New Yorkers. Some start out as architectural threads, some are photo threads, some are historic, so they grew from different sources. But seeing how some of the most popular threads have essentially become all-encompassing I agree they should be merged.

The decision over in which forum ought these broad threads be placed has been going on since the very beginning. Parks, for example, are used by New Yorkers and Visitors, but it was decided to put them in the Visitors forum, though some topics are clearly not for visitors - or at least the thread started out that way. And many of them would fit in multiple forums. Anyway, suggestions to help streamline are appreciated.

I merged the two Clinton threads - they were both in Real Estate.

Coney Island is in three different places, Real Estate, Visitors Guide, and NYers Guide. Which to go in, or should there be different threads?

Washington Square and Washington Square Park should be combined, but where? If all Parks threads go in Guide for Visitors that makes it easy, but there are a lot of local politics in Washington Square.

The two Landmarks threads are both in Architecture, but I think one was just about signing the petition and stickied as opposed to the other which deals more with latest additions to the list of preserved buildings and other news. Thoughts?

Probably the answer (though not technically available AFAIK) is for subforums to be a kind of meta-tag assigned to threads, that way threads can be browsed from any of the subforum menus, i.e. portals to the thread collection.

In such a system posts could have a check all that apply tag list for posts, e.g. visitors, locals, real estate, architecture, history, etc. and threads would have the option of being viewed through filters that hide irrelevant content for the narrowly focused visitor.

I know, pie in the sky thinking...

Also, I've always thought it strange to have Real Estate separated from Skyscrapers and Architecture, since there is really no difference in the content of the threads between the two. Perhaps a unified "architecture" subforum that combines the two but with further subdivisions such as -- "drawing board", "under construction", "completed", "postwar", "prewar" -- with thread categorization progressing as the buildings take shape or if not, to an "unbuilt/on hold" category.

This obviously isn't a very well thought out -- or very complete vision -- but some thoughts all the same.

I agree regarding the Architecture and Real Estate forums. I never understood what the difference is between the threads in them. I would be up for combining them. Then maybe separate into a completed section and a proposed/UC section.

Quote Originally Posted by NYatKNIGHT View Post

Washington Square and Washington Square Park should be combined, but where? If all Parks threads go in Guide for Visitors that makes it easy, but there are a lot of local politics in Washington Square.
    I'm not sure those two main WSP threads should be combined. Perhaps they need to be better separated /edited so that one focuses on folks enjoying the park and the other covers the reconstruction / politics of the park.

btw: There are actually NINE different threads with Washington Square in the title.

What about a "NYC Parks" sub-forum?

A Search shows that there are 273 threads with "Park" in the title. While many refer to neighborhoods / buildings / addresses which contain the word "Park" a good portion refer to specific parks and are found spread about the entire range of current sub-forums.

Also, a quick look shows that there are ~ 40 different threads covering Central Park (the Park itself, not the other threads with "Central Park' in the address -- the combined total for all threads with CP in the title is 68).

How many are actually active though? I don't really think there are any areas that need a sub-forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast