Thread: 135 Joralemon Street, Brooklyn Heights

Default 135 Joralemon Street, Brooklyn Heights

It's nice to see that it could be saved.

Flashback: 135 Joralemon Street

After the fire

On the market

Current condition

The house at 135 Joralemon Street (between Henry and Clinton streets in Brooklyn Heights) has been through a lot! The Federal-style home boasts a pitched roof, cast-iron porch and other old architectural details—it dates back to the 1830s. According to the Museum of the City of New York, it was built in 1833 (others say 1831), and was originally part of the Remsen farm. In 1920 Mrs. Morton Cross Fitch purchased the home and lived there for quite some time; by 1966 it was given landmark designation; and more recently it was damaged in a fire (on New Year's Eve 2004). By 2007 was fixed up again, and on the market for nearly $6MM.

Back in 2006, one curious blogger stepped inside the not-yet-renovated structure. He found a man in his 70's, who told him he was going to court with Con Ed, who he blamed for the fire on New Year's Eve, and once he won he would restore the place back to its former glory. He explained, "I was born in this house. I lived my whole life here and it's been in my family a long time. You don't know how wonderful this street used to be."

http://gothamist.com/2010/02/15/flas...0Pic=1#gallery

from Brownstoner

Just up the street:

Building of the Day: 129 Joralemon Street

129 Joralemon Street, between Clinton and Henry Streets. Brooklyn Heights.
    Architect: CPH Gilbert, 1890-91.

Terracotta dragon

Address: 129 Joralemon Street, between Henry and Clinton Streets
    Name: Daniel Chauncey House
    Neighborhood: Brooklyn Heights
    Year Built: 1890-91
    Architectural Style: Queen Anne
    Architect: CPH Gilbert
    Landmarked: Yes

Why chosen: This house has been a favorite since the first time I came upon it, long ago, walking around in Brooklyn Heights. I could never remember what street it was on, so finding it again and again was always a pleasant discovery. Architect CPH Gilbert was at his best in Brooklyn, if you ask me, and this is one of his few Bklyn buildings not in Park Slope. This forty foot wide mansion sports a riot of detail; arched windows with beautiful stained glass, Classical garlands, porthole windows, oriels and bays, fine stonework, and the sweeping staircase to that magnificent entryway with those baronial doors and their unique and artistic wrought iron hardware, a Gilbert signature detail. I especially love all of the delightful terra-cotta dragons that cavort around the facade. The protruding bay on the left was once echoed by another on the right side, which was removed when the apartment building next door was built. The house now has 32 rooms and 14 apartments. It must have been one of the most spectacular homes in the Heights when businessman Daniel Chauncey, who made his money in real estate and finance, lived and entertained Brooklyn's society here.

http://www.brownstoner.com/brownston..._of_the_60.php

Location shooting for the Muppet movie Letters to Santa was at 129 Joralemon St.