Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 34th Street Transitway

You hand someone a petition, and more often than not he or she will quickly sign it just to get you out of his or her face. This one probably represents five people with some sort of vested economic interest in the horrid, polluted, function-free, existing 34th Street. No one lese could possibly defend the status quo. The plan will make 34th Street and surrounding environs infinitely more sane. You can't speed through mega-highways in the West Village (except perhaps for 7th Avenue) or SoHo or Tribeca - how has that hurt property values in those neighborhoods? How has that hurt livability? Are real estate agents having trouble finding people to live there?

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

The only thing holding that area back is because it is considered dull.

Quote Originally Posted by stache View Post
    The only thing holding that area back is because it is considered dull.
    Quite true. The entire east side of the island is thought to be dull. Ironically enough, one of the reasons it has become so dull and suburbanized is the general lack of public transit options.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

East Village is hopping!

Community Board 5 Creates Task Force on 34th Street Transitway Project

The new task force will focus on concerns raised by business owners who will be impacted by any plan.

By Jill Colvin

The Department of Transportation would create protected bus lanes along 34th Street from river to river.
    (Courtesy of the Department of Transportation)

MANHATTAN — After months of silence, Midtown's Community Board 5 is weighing in on a controversial plan to transform 34th Street into a one-way bus expressway.

The board's Transportation Committee introduced a new task force Monday night charged with making sure the Department of Transportation takes their concerns seriously. The committee also unveiled a new website where residents and business owners can share their concerns.

"We want to be positive, firm and united," said task force leader Nancy Aber Goshow.

The Transitway plan calls for running two protected express bus lanes along 34th Street from river-to-river, and turning the rest of the thoroughfare into a one-way street.

The DOT hopes the plan will speed buses and improve pedestrian safety along the notoriously grid-locked stretch.

But business owners and residents have complained the bus lanes will block access to their front doors, making deliveries, pick-ups and drop-offs a pain.

"It will land-lock our building," Joseph Jerome, who manages a building at the corner of 34th Street and Broadway, told the task force.

"It will really be a detriment," he said. "It's like taking away your front door."

Thomas Miller, the community board's transportation committee chair, said that while he thinks something needs to be done to improve traffic along the stretch, residents and business owners should be prepared to make concessions.

"What's good for pedestrians may not be good for store owners and what's good for buses may not be better for pedestrians," he said.

The DOT aims to present a final design by the fall of 2011, following months of public forums.

http://www.dnainfo.com/20101123/midt...#ixzz16C6z3nSm

interesting brt routing -- all on one side of the street!

LOL!

NY Post: DOT Commissioner Is a Sadistic Psycho

Courtesy DOT

The NY Post is in the midst of a full-on assault against NYC DOT Commissioner Janette Sadik-Khan, because the right-wing rag loves the internal combustion engine, doesn't believe in climate change, and hates change. The tabloid has made no secret of its contempt for bike lanes and pedestrian plazas; therefore the DOT's proposal to bring all three elements to 34th Street has the paper apoplectic. Following up on her colleague Steve Cuozzo's rant last week, Post columnist Andrea Peyser turns up the rhetoric to 11 today:
    Is Janette Sadik-Khan, the psycho bike lady who helms the city's Department of Transportation, nuts? Or maybe Khan, the hater of the internal-combustion engine, is just an incompetent, overpromoted, overzealous bureaucrat who wields power like a chain saw and fits her widely whispered nickname to a T—Janette "Sadist"-Khan. Either way, we're screwed. At issue is a project bigger than the detested, dangerous bike lanes and despised pedestrian plazas that have sprouted up like a cancer, to applause from Mayor Bloomberg. The new plan is Sadik-Khan's crowning achievement. Her Taj Mahal. Her Coney Island fun house. It's called the 34th Street Transitway. And as plans reveal, it's a doozy -- meant to surrender that main Midtown thoroughfare to buses while preventing passenger cars from traveling it from the Lincoln Tunnel to the Midtown Tunnel.
    The DOT wants to essentially cut 34th Street in half, with the section west of Sixth Avenue running one way toward the Hudson River, and the section east of Fifth Avenue running one way toward the East River. Buses would travel in both directions in their own special lanes, and in the middle there would be a pedestrian plaza on the block between Fifth and Sixth. A spokesman tells Peyser the plan is moving forward, and she's freaking out because "Sadist"-Khan has her handcuffed in her dungeon and she can't remember the safe word! Meanwhile, her colleague Steve Cuozzo is holding the line against the Times Square pedestrian plaza, tweeting: "Times Square an alien planet on Sunday night, and the aliens' favorite spots to hang are the 'pedestrian malls.' We don't need crop circles." Says you, Cuozz.

To add some outside vitriol, Peyser also gets some angry quotes from a 34th Street resident, who is apparently an expert on traffic and has determined that the changes would only speed up bus service by "a measly one or two minutes." This man gripes, "I can't get my bottled water, 30 pounds of Goya beans and my 3-year-old and 1-year-old inside because the city has determined that a one-minute improvement is more important for a guy from Ronkonkoma!" We're not sure what this has to do with Ronkonkoma (is the tabloid's traffic expert from Long Island?) but who has the patience to conduct point-by-point analysis of the Post's subliterate propaganda? Miraculously, Streetsblog does.

Spoiler alert: The NY Post is full of shit!

http://gothamist.com/2011/02/28/ny_p...is_a_sadis.php

Milleniumcab posted the full article in the Taxi thread here.

I thought it was full of crap too. No real point. I was going to comment about that STUPID Goya bean comment there, but I figured two posts on that one thread for the NYP was too much, but here?

1. Poor baby. You live in Manhattan and you can't park in front of your apartment?
    2. You can't get your 30lbs of beans into the house? Those old Chinese and Hispanic ladies seem to have no problem wheeling around their wire baskets doing the same thing every week. Grow a pair.
    3. You decide that bottled water is a necessity and, poor you, you have trouble getting it into the house. No sympathy.
    4. You are a parent? Congrats. Maybe you need to re-arrange your schedule to make it so that you DON'T have both with you on a grocery run.
    5. Ronkonkoma? I think you said that just because you liked the sound. Jeez, last time I looked, people from Ronkonkoma did not need to deliver groceries to an apartment in Manhattan with two kids unless they were FROM MANHATTAN AND NO LONGER IN RONKONKOMA. The fact that you are FROM there does not mean ANYTHING and does not add to the argument.

Unless you were from Schenectady, then THAT would be a whole other story!!!!!
    Last edited by Ninjahedge; March 1st, 2011 at 09:22 AM.

This will be beautiful. I'd like to see this implemented on 14th, 42nd and 57th Streets.

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer View Post
    I'd like to see this implemented on 14th, 42nd and 57th Streets.
    You obviously are one who's work does not require getting around manhattan by car/truck: these measures have been causing a great deal of additional traffic congestion. There are also claims by various store owners that customers & suppliers can no longer gain quick/easy access to their businesses: which seems plausible to me. I guess it always comes down to who's ox gets gored. (LOL)
    Last edited by infoshare; March 1st, 2011 at 09:15 AM. Reason: ox gets gored

Not if they try to actually work things out with each other Info.

What they need are definite loading and unloading times. They need to look at other cities that have the same problem but have still managed to close of most traffic for pedestrians during buisness hours.

Although LL may be a bit over-zealous with his wishes for closing many more streets, if we could get the busses ONTO these streets and keep them there, it might make flow better on the others.

The key here is to plan it as a whole, and in stages, to be able to keep flow moving while it is going on. Simply putting up saw-horses and rails and saying "closed" is not a plan, and neither is painting giant polka-dots or waves on the ground.

There is also a secondary problem. The goal is to try to streamline traffic flow. the more strait lines you got, the quicker it goes (less turns, less lights, etc). The better the traffic GETS, the more people will use it. This has happened all over, people will tolerate a certain level of congestion and that is it. Any more and they leave their vehicles at home.

I believe no matter WHAT we do, no matter how good or bad the situation is handled, we will still have comparable levels of traffic after the initial rise from the change. The better it gets, the more people will start driving again and we are back to square one. The worse it gets, the more that will say "to hell with it" and take Mass Transit or the like.

The end goal should be simple. Make it so buisnesses can still operate, but things like Pedestrian and Mass Transit take less time.

Quote Originally Posted by infoshare View Post

There are also claims by various store owners that customers & suppliers can no longer gain quick/easy access to their businesses: which seems plausible to me. (LOL)
    Quick? Easy? This is tossed around all the time. But is it more than some minor inconvenience? Walking around town where the bike lanes have gone in I don't see it to be true, in terms of actual lack of access.

And, of course: (LOL)

Quote Originally Posted by infoshare View Post
    You obviously are one who's work does not require getting around manhattan by car/truck: these measures have been causing a great deal of additional traffic congestion. There are also claims by various store owners that customers & suppliers can no longer gain quick/easy access to their businesses: which seems plausible to me. I guess it always comes down to who's ox gets gored. (LOL)
    In my view, driving in Manhattan should be a luxury and should carry a very high congestion fee that dissaudes people from doing it. Also, deliveries should occur only at night. There are plenty of cities that are as crowded, if not moreso, than NY, and they deal with limitations on traffic. NY should copy London's congestion fee.

Default 125 St

londonlawyer
    This will be beautiful. I'd like to see this implemented on 14th, 42nd and 57th Streets.
    Don't forget 125 St. One of the greatest benefits of this manner of project is better transit capacity. Considering that 125 St. is the primary east-west thoroughfare in upper Manhattan, utilized by three of the borough's busiest bus routes, and provides access to major subway stations, it would be make sense to extend those bus corridors outside of the Financial District - 59 St. core of New York.

The Mayor is hiding behind political correctness to punish all who stood against congestion charging. He is going to succeed on making the Island of Manhattan impossible to drive on by taking lanes away from traffic without decreasing the volume of cars. And he isn't going to stop until he gets his congestion fee..

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast