Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 34th Street Transitway

Default 34th Street Transitway

This is going to be nice. It works on Oxford Street in London.

I'm glad that Bloomberg won a third term and is making great innovations.

http://www.streetsblog.org/2010/03/0...o-34th-street/

I was reading about this on the DOT site.

34th St would become a one-way street - westbound from 6th Ave, and eastbound from 5th Ave.

Between 5th and 6th Aves, only the bus lanes would go through, with the rest of the street as pedestrian space.

The bus lanes will be physically separated from other traffic.

DOT text

PDF
    Overhead view

34th St cross section, at stations

34th St cross section, not at stations

Thanks for posting those links.

I hope that eventually, cars are banned altogether from 34th Street and not just between 5th and 6th as currently envisioned. I'd like to see the same thing happen on 42nd and 59th Street. I liked the 42nd Street streetcar plan primarily because it made the sidewalks wider and added greenery. However, doing the same thing with buses is probably cheaper and therefore, easier to implement.

NYC has great public transportation, and therefore, cars are superfluous.

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer View Post
    I'd like to see the same thing happen on 42nd and 59th Street. I liked the 42nd Street streetcar plan primarily because it made the sidewalks wider and added greenery. However, doing the same thing with buses is probably cheaper and therefore, easier to implement.
    The big argument against the 42nd st light rail was the cost. I thought it wasn't necessary to use trains. The same thing could be accomplished with isolated bus lanes. It works with or without car traffic.

Maybe this project will lead to a renewed look at 42nd St.

That would be nice.

The other thing is that this can be proposed as a pilot program in order to overcome the naysayers' opposition. Characterizing the 42nd St rail project as a pilot program isn't feasible since there would be a big investment with trains and tracks.

Another big difference is that on 34th many of the buildings go through the full block to 33rd / 35th, so deliveries can be accommodated away from 34th. Such is not the case on 42nd (although more so now than in the past).

Restricted deliveries limited to "after hours" will be one of the future proposals / experiments, no doubt.

I've always wanted to see deliveries restricted to after hours. Double-parked trucks during the day wreack havoc on traffic.

The project has an official name. Changed thread title to same.

Does anyone know when this will begin?

Unlike some of the other initiatives, like Times Square, Madison Park and Meatpacking, 34th St will be a capital project, permanent.

A scoping document will be developed, and it will go through an environmental review process. It will be eligible for federal funding, and an application will be made to the FTA.

A preliminary analysis (PDF) is already out. Alternatives, such as 'light' and 'heavy' rail, are included.

Thanks for the information. This is good news. Herald Square has so many magnificent buildings. Hopefully, this will breathe new life into the area and will result in the redevelopment of some squalid spots like the stretch on the northeast corner of 34th and 8th.

Oxford street is NOT what you want to model this on. Studies show it has the worst air quality in London due to all the bus traffic. Light rail would have been the unselfish solution.

^
    There are better alternatives than the typical diesel bus.

NY Waterway buses that operate out of the Pier 79 Fery terminal could have access to the transitway.

Quote Originally Posted by futurecity View Post
    Oxford street is NOT what you want to model this on. Studies show it has the worst air quality in London due to all the bus traffic. Light rail would have been the unselfish solution.
    Oxford Street is way better than the current 34th Street. Light rail would be great but expensive. If this proves to be popular, light rail could be added in the future. Anyway, electric buses would be fine here.

^ Do any of those better alternatives not emit diesel fumes?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast