Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: New Durst-Fetner Building @ W 57th & 11th Ave (next to The Helena)

Hasn't been voted on yet. There's another subcommittee meeting about it on the 29th. The testimony from the first set of meetings on the 17th was, eh, interesting? Feel free to watch it here:

http://legistar.council.nyc.gov/Meet...=info|&Search=

Anyway, the gist is that the community just wants permanently affordable housing, who cares how doable that is. The fact of the matter is that once this building is 30 years old, it will most likely be affordable anyway. All it takes is just a little bit of time. Luxury housing in the Heights from the 1920s is today's affordable housing. So yeah, there's that.

Here is the latest from DF:

For the period of January 25, 2013 through February 8, 2013 of the construction work at 625 West 57th St. the following activities are expected:

• Excavators will be onsite removing soil in the east and mid-block areas of the site and topping the area with odor-controlling foam and tarps.
    • Backfilling will occur in the excavated areas on the east side of the site
    • Rock chopping and removal will occur in the mid-block area.

For the latest from City Council, they ran out of time listening to people kvetch tonight and recessed. They'll pick it back up at 10am Thursday.

I hope they don't ruin this gem!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RoldanTTLB View Post
    For the latest from City Council, they ran out of time listening to people kvetch tonight and recessed. They'll pick it back up at 10am Thursday.
    Let them eat cake.
    Last edited by londonlawyer; January 30th, 2013 at 08:34 AM.

Funny, but more to the point: they want their cake, and eat it too. The thing we don,t want is another 'building standard' boxy boring looking piece of junk: but the necessary financing approvals required to do good design, and produce a quality product must be in place in order to produce such a work of ARTchitecture.

The 'community groups' insistence on a perminant affordable housing component (as opposed to a temporary) amounts to an encombrance on the financial viability of the project so great that the lending institution views as a deal breaker.

Catch 22, Let them eat cake, choose your cliche: it all just amounts to what looks like another drawn out battle that will end with either a watered-down design or the developer walking away from the project.

Everyone looking out for their own immediate self interest; good architecture does not make!

I hope he just walks away and leaves a big gaping hole in the ground if they block this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Luckily, I think most of the hurdles are around affordable housing, etc.,......... I wonder, for those complaining, who are they and where do they live? There are no residents other than BMW, ConEd, and CBS for a couple of blocks.
    Last edited by infoshare; January 30th, 2013 at 02:10 PM.

Let's get a grip.

The developer isn't walking away, and there won't be any drawn out debate; there's a clock at each step of the process. The underpinning has begun for either the submitted design or an as-of-right.

Once the CPC gives its approval, it's rare that the decision is overturned (they are responsible for zoning changes - the reason this is happening).

In the unlikely event that the City Council rejects it, the mayor - who generally is on board with the CPC - would veto. It would then take a 2/3 majority of the City Council to overturn the veto. In the city-wide scheme of things, this is a minor project; so it's even more unlikely there would be a consensus in the City Council to overturn.

I assume you mean there are no residents other than those at the Helena on the same block as this building... In any event, yes, this will be built. Either the of-right design (which is painfully lame), or this tower, which is at the very least interesting. Let's see what happens tomorrow morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Czervik.Construction View Post
    Luckily, I think most of the hurdles are around affordable housing, etc.,......... I wonder, for those complaining, who are they and where do they live? There are no residents other than BMW, ConEd, and CBS for a couple of blocks.
    First off: sorry about the edit on your post - my mistake.

That affordable housing component is "ostensibly" the main sticking point: I think the financing will not be approved if the project has a 'permanent' affordable housing incorporated into the project or only something like 35 year sunset clause where those affordable units go back to market rate. Like most here, I am only commenting on whatever cursory reviews I have done in available news articles: so I may be wrong on some (or all) of what I just stated.

As to who is 'complaining' - I am not exactly sure who or why the protest. But I do have a conspiracy theory! They are mostly folks who just want the project blocked, they want it to go away, and to raise one issue (any issue) after another is a proven method of wearing-down and ultimately driving-off the developers of the project. It all just becomes way to expensive and time/energy consuming to stay in the fight: so they (sometimes) just walk away from the project and do something more lucritive and less problematic. So, that is why I say that the affordable housing issue is "ostensibly" the main sticking point. Once they resolve that issue they only need to move the goal post back a bit further by saying it is not 'contextual" or not 'whatever' - all proven to be very effective tactics in 'blocking' a new real estate development project.

Thats my take on this anyway; lets just hope we get to see this project built - it is a fantastic work of ART.

I just saw on curbed that the stupid b gale brewer is holding up the project and demanding that affordable housing be permanent which is next to impossible for Durst to do because they have a 35 yr. lease. She is going to destroy this and I still hope they just leave a gaping hole for Ms. Brewer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lesterp4 View Post
    I just saw on curbed that the stupid b gale brewer is holding up the project and demanding that affordable housing be permanent which is next to impossible for Durst to do because they have a 35 yr. lease.
    The lease is 99 years, not 35.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    It would then take a 2/3 majority of the City Council to overturn the veto.
    The City Council traditionally votes unanimously on zoning changes, deferring to the local council member. If the demagogue Gale Brewer votes against this, then it will easily get the 2/3 majority.

Subcommittee approved unanimously this morning. It'll be on the agenda for the 2/6 City Council meeting at 130pm. We'll know then what happens.