Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: New Durst-Fetner Building @ W 57th & 11th Ave (next to The Helena)

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer View Post
    Considering that some pretty nice buildings will rise in this area, it's a shame that Avalon will go for a limbo award (i.e., a very low bar) with the POS it plans to build here.
    Classic Avalon. Bringing Florida-style cheapo condos to the Hudson shore, one POS at a time.

They do, however, work as decent background buildings. They're mediocre but not outright ugly, like, say, most of Kaufman's work. I expect it to be a bore, but not an eyesore.

This proposal is fantastic, and totally unexpected! After seeing the initial renderings of The Rose -- which was essentially a Helena 2 -- and then hearing about the proposal for Perkin Eastman's squat private school, I was certainly not expecting something this groundbreaking. Bravo to Durst for taking a chance with BIG, and not constructing another cheap anonymous glass rental box like the ones that have become ubiquitous across NYC and especially Hell's Kitchen.

This. This is the kind of thing I'm sick of. The realization of a simple diagram is not Architecture. Our building culture needs to grow up and re-learn how to do the hard work of making beautiful, refined buildings.

This is a clever design, but that does not make it good architecture.

Sorry to be a wet blanket on this one, but I'm in architecture school now and I'm tired of the BIG and OMA worship. Maybe I'll be in a better mood when the semester is over. In May.

That doodle is merely a visual tool to show the evolution of the plan (one of a sequence in the BIG portfolio for this project) -- and it tells the story, no? The diagram may be simple, but the design is anything but. The planted interior garden that actually gets good sun year around can't be done with your standard courtyard in a box.

The real question here is will the developer be able to get around the set back / sky exposure plane regulations to allow going nearly straight up to the height proposed at 58th / WEA.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BIG_W57_NE2.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	12175

Name:	BIG_W57_NE1.jpg 
Views:	353 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	12174

Name:	BIG_W57_NE3.jpg 
Views:	400 
Size:	109.4 KB 
ID:	12173

If you want your mind blown by some architecture check out the BIG proposal for TEK in Taiwan (BIG > 2010 > TEK)

Mon 12.12.2011

When: 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM MONDAY, DECEMBER 12
    Where: At The Center

AIA 536 LaGuardia Place

Bjarke Ingels will present his book Yes Is More: An Archicomic on Architectural Evolution

YES IS MORE is the first monograph of its kind devoted exclusively to the trailblazing practice of BIG, a Copenhagenbased group of architects, designers and thinkers operating within the fields of architecture, urbanism, research and development.

Unlike a classic architectural monograph, this book is more of a manifesto of popular culture, in which BIG s methods, means, processes and approach to the concept of architecture are revealed as being as unconventional, unexpected and result-producing as the world in which it exists, continually reaffirming its mission with a resounding YES.
    Cost:

Free for AIA members
    $10 for non-membersOrganized by: AIANY Oculus Committee
    Oculus Book Seller: McNally Jackson Books | 52 Prince Street

I wonder if that "770k" or retail space is a type, and maybe it's actually 77k. 770k is an ENORMOUS amount of retail. Looking at the renderings, it looks like the entire buildings might be around 770k. If the building has a footprint of say 200 X 600 feet, that is only 120k. You would have to have about 7 floors of retail over the entire footprint to reach 770 (taking into account interior walls, etc.)

From the NEWS at BIG.DK website ...

REEXPERIENCE LOUISIANA’S LIVING EXHIBITION THROUGH A VIRTUAL TOUR

Danish-based architectural photographer John Krøll documented the successful Living exhibition at Louisiana Museum of Modern Art 1st June – 23rd Oct, presenting a 360° experience of BIG’s West 57th.

Click to take virtual tour

Name:	BIG_Durst57_1b.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	120.3 KB 
ID:	14484

Name:	BIG_Durst57_1.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	145.5 KB 
ID:	14477

Name:	BIG_Durst57_1a.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	14478

Name:	BIG_Durst57_2a.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	14479

Name:	BIG_Durst57_3a.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	137.2 KB 
ID:	14480

Name:	BIG_Durst57_4a.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	127.8 KB 
ID:	14481

Name:	BIG_Durst57_4b.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	123.7 KB 
ID:	14485

Name:	BIG_Durst57_5a.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	148.4 KB 
ID:	14482

Name:	BIG_Durst57_5b.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	124.3 KB 
ID:	14486

Name:	BIG_Durst57_6a.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	114.5 KB 
ID:	14483
    Last edited by lofter1; November 25th, 2011 at 07:48 PM.

Terrifying, hideous, destroys all sense of proportion and humanity. I think our young self-styled "genius" Mr. Ingels has drunk a little too much of the "we are now all robots and we must build efficient structures for efficient robots" Bauhaus punch.

That 'virtual tour' feature is fantastic: what would this place be without Lofter1: poster extraordinaire.

Also, I like the way that building design provides for maximum of interior light, views, and air circulation, while also meeting the various requirements of building code, FAR, interior courtyard, as well as an eye-pleasing form factor.

If there is anything called the 'NYC design excellence' award; this one would get my vote. IMHO, this is a 'gorgeous looking' building.

This is obviously a polarizing design but I feel like if NYC has to have these dazzling megabuildings then along the West Side Highway is probably the best place. These buildings are, for better or worse, designed more as sculpture than as a building that fills in the fabric of the city. Anywhere else these types of buildings would get lost in the forest of structures that makes up the city. But here along the highway is exactly where these types of sculpture-buildings belong since it's where the fabric ends and the city of myth begins. These buildings are all designed to be viewed from afar, viewed in dramatic motion of the modern world. These types of buildings BELONG along a highway and the only appropriate place in Manhattan is the West Side Highway. The IAC, the Jean Nouvel, the Mercedes House, even the future Hudson Yards, these are all the sculpture that can only be properly viewed from the highway or from NJ.

The argument I am more interested is if these buildings properly transition the urban experience from the grand skyline view to the pedestrian street experience.

^^Well they can certainly more then the vacant lots and warehouse buildings these structures are replacing. But still up in the 50's and north where the highway is still separated and elevated, the highway is a big repellant for pedestrian activity. Hopefully the plan to bury the section still elevated above 59th street is realized quickly.

These designs are nice and all, but that lot is getting overgrown with weeds. There has been no action there for months.

Bjarke Ingels of BIG on What's Next @ CNN: 30 minute vid of BIG designs and Ingels talking architecture, including this plan.

I love this guy. He has so many good ideas for awesome new buildings all over the world.

Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast