Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: London's 2012 Orbit Tower

Default London's 2012 Orbit Tower

So much for great developments in London . . . .

Kapoor designs 2012 Orbit tower

A spiralling sculpture designed by Turner Prize-winning artist Anish Kapoor has been chosen as the monument to mark the London 2012 Olympic Games.
    The 115m tall piece, named the ArcelorMittal Orbit, will be placed in the Olympic Park and will be 22m higher than New York's Statue of Liberty.
    The 19.1m design incorporates the five Olympic rings and will offer visitors panoramic views of London.
    London Mayor Boris Johnson revealed plans for the tower on Wednesday.
    "I am deeply honoured to be invited to undertake this challenging commission," Kapoor said.
    "I am particularly attracted to it because of the opportunity to involve members of the public in a particularly close and personal way. It is the commission of a lifetime."
    The artist will work with leading structural designer, Cecil Balmond of engineering firm Arup.
    Organisers said Balmond had worked on "some of the greatest contemporary buildings in the world", including the CCTV building in Beijing, as well as numerous Serpentine Gallery pavilion commissions.
    ''Long after the games are over, our aim is to have a stunning spectacle in east London that will be recognised around the world," Mr Johnson said. Steel company ArcelorMittal will fund up to 16m of the project with 3.1m provided by the London Development Agency.

I think I'll have to see it in person when built to fully comment. I've only seen two renders of it so far, (including the one below) but it definately looks different and unique!

The design definately has some similarities with Kapoor's previous work at Tate Modern (Marsyas - I'm not a modern art fan but just the immense size blew me away) which filled the entire Turbine Hall.

Source: punk sandwich at Flickr

I have no idea what to make of that. It reminds me of Blackpool Pleasure Beach.

Looks OK to me as an object ... Olympic rings ... DNA ... Eiffel Tower. But ...

Where's the elevator?

Where are the two means of egress from the top?

And will all that stuff ruin the sculptural form?

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc View Post
    Looks OK to me as an object ... Olympic rings ... DNA ... Eiffel Tower...
    That's already too much going on. Olympic rings, DNA, Eiffel tower...that's an awful lot to fit into one "sculpture" and it shows.

Somehow reminiscent of the old game "Mousetrap"...maybe it's the chaos combined with the funnel shape dropped at the bottom.
    Get a load of the imaginary dramatic sky radiating from behind, as if the Four Horsemen are going to descend from this thing. Maybe they were going for the Apocalypse look, something like Ezekiel's "wheels within wheels" flying machine.

Un-beautiful.

Yeah I guess

more is less.

^ but look at the first rendering with it seen in context next to the stadium. Looks good IMHO.

I'm sorry that's a really bad design that would have received failing marks at any decent design school.
    The only part that's interesting is the central funnel but it's overshadowed by all that roller coaster clutter.

Expensive joke.

Arup Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV_h2YUJCQw

Mayor of London Unveiling Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I12tm4JzUOg

Some further images from SSC:

Okay Nick, left to right: we all know Boris, and I'd guess the sculptor is the fourth from left. Who are the others?

The middle is the super rich steel magnate. Patel? He is paying for this.

I guess I'm the only one here who loved "Yertle the Turtle".

Quote Originally Posted by Alonzo-ny View Post
    Patel?
    Mittal?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast