View Poll Results: Which social networking websites do you regularly visit?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Facebook

7 46.67%
  • Twitter

3 20.00%
  • Meetup

3 20.00%
  • Flickr

5 33.33%
  • YouTube

8 53.33%
  • LinkedIn

6 40.00%
  • StumbleUpon

0 0%
  • Blogger

2 13.33%
  • LiveJournal

0 0%
  • MySpace

1 6.67%
  • Google Buzz

0 0%
  • Digg

2 13.33%
  • Photobucket

2 13.33%
  • ImageShack

2 13.33%
  • Ning

1 6.67%
  • Skyscraperpage.com

3 20.00%
  • Skyscrapercity.com

2 13.33%
  • Curbed.com

5 33.33%
  • Archboston.com

1 6.67%
  • Other - mention in your post

4 26.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Social Networking Websites

Default Social Networking Websites

I would like to make a survey of social networking websites that members of this forum regularly visit. I will create a poll about this, but first I just want to make a list. Several choices are obvious - Facebook, Meetup, Flickr, LinkedIn, MySpace, StumbleUpon, LiveJournal, Google Buzz, Skyscraperpage.com, Skyscrapercity.com, curbed.com - but mention anything else.

Twitter?

I am addicted (yes, I will say it) to my Facebook and Twitter accounts, and am always on both of them! I have a LinkedIn account, but haven't really gotten into using it.

myspace - Where else online can you actually talk with "real life" playboy bunnies and people in the arts - in the same site!!

sleep new york - It has a very cozy/intimate feel to it and has a forum for each neighborhood of manhattan (but nothing really for b&t) as well as some very cool hong kong & tokyo forums for people like me who travel/live in the Far East

Also, and on a personal note, don't ever forget Tenenbaum's Badminton Enthusiasts - but I guess that's kind of cheating...

For me, my rating for each of the Social Networking site is:

General:
    Facebook [4.0 stars] - It soars in my rating because of it's great staff control, great regulation and comfort to use, it alsohas stuff that is relatively fun and interactive as well as it is the one-stop socail networking site.

MySpace [1.50 stars] - It fails in my ratings because of it's problematic chat staffers, poor regulation of it's user's activity and relatively is filled with people who like to talk about inappropriate stuff, bash races, bash religion, all about 'sex,' drugs and stuff that is either inappropriate and/or against the law.

Friendster & MyYearbook [GraveYard] - By graveyeard, I mean it is nearly dead, and it is a no-join.

Blog:
    Blogger [3.75 stars] - Great site to use, fairly simple, I would glady wish it could expand more to include more editing features and themes to use.

Live Journal [3.50 stars] - Simple site to use, quick blogging and relatively shares stuff with a more contemporary style. Not much feature, could be better like Blogger.

Social Sharing:
    Digg [4.0 Stars] - Better way than StumbleUpon, easy to use, share information instantly and it is much more open than StumbleUpon so even non-users can be inspired.

StumbleUpon: [3.75 Stars] - Just a great way to share stuff you saw to your friends or other online people.

Business:
    Linked In [3.75 Stars] - It is an okay way to 'be social' but it doesn't really have a closeness aspect like facebook where people could actually be more fun and get to know each other.

MeetUp [3.25 Stars] - IT is a okay site but not relatively clear and it does not let you have a good sense of safeness like facebook where you could estimate weather it is okay to join in an event.

Misc:
    Ning [3.75 Stars]: Kinda have a Blogger.com theme while carrying a forum feel, it is a great way to social and it is actually better than MeetUp, while you cannot get a clearer update than MeetUp, but it is much more safer to use to plan events.

Twitter [3.75 stars]: Great site to post your 'status', but it really is the best site to get stock updates and quick news. Rather like a live twisted stream of useful and useless information.

Plurk [3.25 stars going to graveyard probably]: It is a stie that combines the feature of Ning and Twitter but really failed because it not quite that comfortable to use and the concept failed and it is dying.

Google Buzz [2.50 stars] - Not really the best service ot use, I feel it is not a genious social networking service afterall than only upate you friend on your random rumbles.

Media Sharing:
    Youtube/Flickr/Photobucket/Imageshack [equal at 3.75] - Relatively easy to use and is relatively fleixible in ways and limited in ways, it really depends, can't really diss each other because all have it's rule and regulations and limits and what not...

That is what I have, ...

Apparently, Facebook is evil

For those of you who have the good sense to be on myspace where you can talk to playboy bunnies and movie directors (all on the one site!) then be sure to befriend me there.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Tenenbaum View Post
    Apparently, Facebook is evil
    [/COLOR]
    Not really, MySpace is evil for banning me from the chat rooms, trying to talk on-topic, :P...

You failed to achieve their required Emoticon quota.....

Well as long as this thread has been resurfaced, the other business related networking site that is especially popular in Europe is Plaxo.

I regularly go to - Facebook, Youtube, linkedin, blogger, curbed, digg, imagshack, skyscaperpage, skyscapercity, and archboston.
    Related material here - http://newyork.construction.com/opin...CCommunity.asp
    Excerpt - "Why? For the A/E/C industry, social media offers a way to give opinions of the built environment, share data and basically network to share industry-related stories, business needs and understandings. Social media allows you to communicate, collaborate, educate and entertain; after all, it is also about being “social.”
    Last edited by infoshare; July 1st, 2010 at 07:54 PM.

Social media sucks. All people do is post material about how great they are. Professionals rarely actually exchange any useful information.

Um.... Ballistic video spam?

[delorted]
    Last edited by Ninjahedge; February 7th, 2011 at 11:22 AM.