Looking good Ed~!
I've just had a look at the new version in MS Explorer 7 (I haven't bothered to upgrade because I use Firefox). The font still appears squashed (not in post content, btw), but the member name in the Last Post column appears bold in Explorer but does not in Firefox.
FWIW, I think the thread title being bold looks better, as in the current version.
Looking good Ed~!
I'm really glad I had a 2nd cup of coffee before coming on board this AM to confront the changes -- which most likely are good (and therefore appreciated), but ...
Is what we're seeing now an interim version, or is this the only option that vBulletin 4 offers?
1) In threads the big pale green column at the left with poster info seems way too wide, and doesn't adjust down when narrowing the window. Is there a reason that there's so much space there?
2) There's less delineation of space on the page with a lot more white everywhere so stuff seems to float (in threads, posts, replies -- all over) , which just might take some getting used to. I prefer stronger borders. is it just that the previous WNY blue was darker?
3) When clicking "New Posts" the envelope icons seen at left are way big; is there any way to adjust the size? And I'm not understanding why some envelopes are toned blue-ish and others are flesh-ish (see image attached below)
4) The smilies + icons seems to have reverted to a more primitive pre-teen version -- which might be good, because that could deter me from using them
5) "Wired New York" header seems to have disappeared from the posts / threads pages and vBulletin is blowing its own horn up top. Me likes Wired New York big and bold.
Last edited by lofter1; April 11th, 2010 at 10:42 AM.
The new color scheme and greyed-out background is awfully muted... everything looks teeny-tiny and less important.
I agree about the colours, I much preferred the bold blue of old.
I find it very hard to tell the difference between colours of the icons signifying that a forum has new posts. There is a muted blue and a muted grey. In the old forum it was very clear which forums had new posts.
Hoping that the appearance is just the default for the software upgrade, and that VBulletin can be removed as the page title. Color is washed out.
The forum icons on the left are giant, and yet all the others are tiny and indistinct. Hard to tell who's online.
Moving the poster-info from the top of the post to the left column just wastes the space underneath, as the posts are pushed to the right.
The icons for EDIT, REPORT POST, etc are now b&w.
Help! Every time I go on the forum I have to sign in. What can I do to fix this?
Are you using a button on your browser to access the forum?
ablarc, make sure the "Remember Me?" box is checked when loggin in. Also try to clear Wired New York cookies, it might help.
I'm experiencing the same thing as ablarc.
In my toolbar I have a direct WNY link, but now find that if I close the WNY window that I have to log on once again (even though I activated the "Remember Me" option when logging in). Previously I never logged out, and simply would close the WNY window and then be able to come back on board without re-logging.
The look depends significantly on monitor resolution. On 24 inch monitor there is a lot of space on the sides, so it's not really "wasted". Having a horizontal bar on top of a post takes more space in comparison.
Ablarc and Lofter:
The problem has to do with cookies, but I don't think clearing cookies will help.
If you have a button (toolbar, homepage, bookmark, etc) dedicated to WNY: The button has the coding for the old forum, even though the browser directs you to the upgraded version. If you logon and then use one of the browser links, the cookies that show you logged on are missing, so you will have to logon again.
To fix: Access the new forum, logon, and then create a new bookmark link. If you use WNY as a homepage, use the TOOLS menu to reset to the new layout.
I much prefer the horizontal bar, especially helpful when working in multlple windows and re-sizing them as I work.
About logging in oddities: I've now cleared cookies for WNY -- then I came back and logged in, using Remember Me. Then closed the window and re-opened, but had to log in again. Closed again and tried just clicking "Log In" (without entering log-in info) and that brought be on board. But at the same time I got this odd message (see below -- note that it shows "Welcome lofter1" up top ) telling me I had logged in incorrectly, even though I was at the time logged in and able to access threads ...