Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Upgrading forum software to version 4

Default Upgrading forum software to version 4

The forum software will soon be upgraded to vBulletin version 4. The new version has some significant changes compared to version 3 we are currently using.

I have installed a test version at wirednewyork.com/forum-402 and you can test-drive it. When you first arrive at the page, you will not see any forum content. Only when you login with your current username and password you will see the forums and threads. During the actual upgrade this test installation will be deleted, so you can do test posting and not worry about breaking it.

Please provide your feedback, anything not working, or "how to do this" questions.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Thumbs up

Very nice!

I like the Advanced Search being more visible and no longer on a hidden menu.

A lot of things seem to be considerably smaller now, but I'll adjust .

The icons/smilies on the posting screen are terrible!!

And the preview post screen is a bit strange being centered and larger photos overlapping the right boundary. Not quite WYSIWYG any more.

vBulletin seems to take top billing now, and not WNY .

The Advanced Search defaults to the Search Multiple Content Types tab, which does not include the Show Results as posts/threads option as the Search Single Content Type tab does. Logical since the content types vary, but this would require yet another page to load to switch to the Single tab each time when searching .

Would anyone want to search in anything other than Posts (Forums seems to mean only titles of forums )? Or am I missing something?

The formatting seems a bit "fluffy" and "bubbly". Not as matter-of-fact NYT looking (isn't the WNY title in TNR?)

I kind of like the popup info on the threads (you have 23 posts in this thread...) but the icon and color scheme seems a bit off.....

Quotes seem OK, but again they are concentrating on look over actual function. I did not need a "talk baloon" with quotes to signify that it is a quote. the tinted box was enough......

Yes the smiley icons suck.

The "link" button gives you mo more than you could do by just pasting on the post (I was hoping it would have the "link" and "viewable text" kind of options to relieve me the responsibility of remembering the href syntax......)

File upload manager seems a bit tighter.

Other options seem to be the same, but just take up much more room on-screen.....

If there was any way to be able to add your own items to the calendar, that would be handy. The other thing that would be handy is if you can select whose events you wanted to see on the calendar (WNY being a default always-on...)

I do not know what the "test" skin is for the forum, or what it might do to the older versions settings in the meantime... Ed, is it safe to try?

Not bad, all in all.

Just take some getting used to I guess. Oh, and the more professional you make it look, the easier it is to hide at work!

Overall appearance lacks the crispness of the present format.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
    I kind of like the popup info on the threads (you have 23 posts in this thread...) but the icon and color scheme seems a bit off.....
    This exists in the current version too, but the icons are better.

All the icons overall look very amateurish.

Quote Originally Posted by Merry View Post
    The Advanced Search defaults to the Search Multiple Content Types tab, which does not include the Show Results as posts/threads option as the Search Single Content Type tab does. Logical since the content types vary, but this would require yet another page to load to switch to the Single tab each time when searching .
    When you are in a specific forum and looking at the list of threads, you can click on Search Forum on the right of the gray bar below the forum title (this is below the global search window and Advanced Search under it), and this will have a selection Threads/Posts and will default to searching Post in this specific forum; there is also "Advanced Search" selection that goes to "Search Single Content Type" tab and selects that specific forum in "Search in Forum(s)" section.

Quote Originally Posted by Merry View Post
    A lot of things seem to be considerably smaller now
    I think the size of the font is the same. Which things seem smaller?

I do not know what the "test" skin is for the forum, or what it might do to the older versions settings in the meantime... Ed, is it safe to try?
    I deleted "test". There will be only one style.

If there was any way to be able to add your own items to the calendar, that would be handy. The other thing that would be handy is if you can select whose events you wanted to see on the calendar (WNY being a default always-on...)
    I did not realize anyone actually using the calendar. I think Forum Veterans can add their own Events which are visible to everyone. This is the same in current version and v4.

Is this actually an upgrade ... or merely a change?

The largest change in version 4 is the introduction of Content Management which allows forum members to create articles. I looked at the CMS feature and it looked too primitive. I am using Wordpress for the website pages and it's significantly better in terms of CMS. So the most important new feature in v4 will not be installed.

But still, this is not just style changes; for example members will be able to use YouTube videos in posts, new users will be able to login with their Facebook accounts.

As part of the preparation for the upgrade, I am going to update the members' post count. Currently the number of posts shown for each member is the number of posts made; after the counter update it will be the number of posts currently in the database - since some threads or posts were deleted, this number will decrease.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    When you are in a specific forum and looking at the list of threads, you can click on Search Forum on the right of the gray bar below the forum title (this is below the global search window and Advanced Search under it), and this will have a selection Threads/Posts and will default to searching Post in this specific forum; there is also "Advanced Search" selection that goes to "Search Single Content Type" tab and selects that specific forum in "Search in Forum(s)" section.
    Right, no different/better than the current version, then. It's a shame the Advanced Search link under the global search box doesn't default to the Search Single Content Type tab as well. Perhaps if you did a lot of data entry into a database like I've been doing at work recently (not my usual work, thank goodness), you'd appreciate more what I'm getting at .

As part of the preparation for the upgrade, I am going to update the members' post count. Currently the number of posts shown for each member is the number of posts made; after the counter update it will be the number of posts currently in the database - since some threads or posts were deleted, this number will decrease.
    Any specific reason for the deletions?

I think the size of the font is the same. Which things seem smaller?
    The font appears slightly smaller to me, but particularly the spacing between characters (kerning) is smaller and words appears squashed. Most of the icons/buttons are also smaller.
    Last edited by Merry; April 9th, 2010 at 09:48 PM.

Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast