Thread: Coatesville, Pennsylvania 9/11 Memorial

Default Coatesville, Pennsylvania 9/11 Memorial

It's tough seeing those parts of the Twins again .

Graystone Society in Coatesville, Pa., gets 500 tons of steel from World Trade Center for memorial

BY Pearl Gabel and Wil Cruz

Truck driver Ed Murray, 50, of Sarver, PA, draped an American flag over the 73,000 lb
    steel fork from the World Trace Center that he is driving from JFK airport to Pennsylvania.

World Trace Center steel in a JFK hangar is loaded
    onto trucks bound for Pennsylvania.

A 28-truck convoy carrying more than 500 tons of history from Ground Zero - and hearts still heavy with grief - was poised to leave JFK Airport early Wednesday morning for a 9/11 memorial in Pennsylvania.

The rigs were loaded with steel from the demolished twin towers that had been stored at Kennedy and are now destined to be turned into a memorial by the Graystone Society in Coatesville, Pa., 35 miles west of Philadelphia.

The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey has been giving the steel to police and fire departments, cities and towns for memorials. It has received 900 requests over the last six months.
    More than 150 miles west of Coatsville, the Flight 93 memorial is also underway in Shanksville, Pa., where hero passengers are thought to have helped down the second jetliner that was destined for the nation's capital.

Wednesday's delivery to Coatsville is far more than a job to Rudy Acevedo, who was born on E. 104th St. and now lives in Florida.

"I'm overwhelmed, honored, touched," the 55-year-old driver said.

With tears welling, he explained "my friend's son was a fireman who died on 9/11 ...and New York is still part of me.

"Everything in New York is part of me," he said.

Trucker Martin Walsh, 48, from Connecticut, knows first hand that the convoy's cargo is meaningful for many Americans from coast to coast.

Walsh was at Ground Zero two weeks after the attack to pick up excavator tracks and haul them to Michigan.

"When I got there I found a lot of remains of rubble on the deck of the trailer. It was unbelievable," he said. "I collected all the pieces and for the next two months gave them to people I met all over the country."

One man was particularly grateful, he said.

"I had a small piece of glass and I gave it to a gentleman from Oklahoma. He lost his friend in the WTC," he said.

"Now, today, for me, this is the closer. A lot of us here will never forget this moment."

The big rigs, many with U.S. flags on them and some with misty-eyed drivers behind the wheel, were to cross the George Washington Bridge at 5 a.m. Wednesday on the first leg of their trip from New York.

500 tons of World Trade Center steel returns home

By DANIELLE LYNCH

The last of 28 trucks that carried the steel trees home to Coatesville
    is parked under a flag draped between local fire company ladder trucks
    on First Avenue. Amy Dragoo, Special to the Times

COATESVILLE — A 28-truck convoy transported five hundred tons of Lukens steel — which supported the World Trade Center for more than three decades — back home on Wednesday afternoon.

"These pieces are coming home," said Scott Huston, president of The Graystone Society, the nonprofit organization that helps preserve Coatesville's historic architecture, during a ceremony. "These pieces are quite amazing, no doubt."

Huston was referring to the 10 50-ton steel structural shapes, known as "trees," that framed the first nine floors of the North and South Towers until the Sept. 11, 2001, tragedy.

In 1969, the last trainload carrying the structural shapes pulled out of Lukens Steel headquarters in Coatesville destined for New York City to become part of the two tallest buildings in the world. The steel, which now represents relics of a terrorist attack that resulted in the deaths of 3,000 people, will become the centerpiece of the proposed The National Iron & Steel Heritage Museum to be built in the Lukens Historic District on South First Avenue in Coatesville.

The "trees" were donated by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, said Huston, a direct descendent of Rebecca Lukens, the first female industrialist in the United States. The donation is part of the two-state agency's disposition program to

give steel salvaged from the World Trade Center to nonprofits that would use the steel in memorials.

Ed Frey, general manager of ArcelorMittal Coatesville, said everyone remembers where they were during the terrorist attacks.

"That unfortunate event brought (the steel) home," he said.

Interim City Manager Ted Reed said the steel represents the resiliency of the American way of life "because we're still standing and we will continue to stand."

Reed said the steel homecoming also symbolizes rebirth for the city.

"Now is the time for this city and community to also rise from the ashes," said City Council President Ed Simpson.

Council Vice President Karl Marking said the return of the "trees" is part of the foundation to rebuild the city.

South Coatesville Mayor James Kennedy, a former employee at Lukens Steel, said the homecoming was a historic occasion that occurred after a tragic event.

In addition to local officials, county and state politicians attended the ceremony. They each recalled where they were during the 9/11 attacks.

"The steel represents the strength and power of the people," said Chester County Commissioner Carol Aichele.

A committee is now being formed by The Graystone Society to oversee the design and construction of a memorial incorporating these "trees" into the landscape of the Lukens National Historic District. This summer will mark the 200-year anniversary of Lukens Steel.

For more discussion on this topic, check out
    http://www.allaroundphilly.com/blogs...ille/blog.html.

http://www.delcotimes.com/articles/2...7494602301.txt