Thread: Instead of the 7-Train Extension...

Default Instead of the 7-Train Extension...

Something I've been thinking about for a while..I know the plan is set in stone and is currently under-construction but this is just an idea I had...it's kind of a stretch and I know the city couldn't afford it so please keep that in mind..just want to know if this would make sense. The idea is a 3-train re-routing. Instead of the 3 train continuing down Broadway after 72nd street it would split off from the 1 & 2 and cut over to 11th. The next stop would be 42nd which the 7-train extend to 11th eliminating the need for a 10th ave stop. After 42nd, the next two stops would be 34th, 23rd (@11th) and 14th (@10th). The 14th street station could be linked with and extended L-train line. The last stop before re-joining with the 2 train would be Canal St. @Washington St. (Canal Park). The re-routing would be to serve the far west side to give people easier access to areas of interest (Javits Center, Hudson Yards, High Line Park, Hudson River Park, Chelsea Piers and "West" Tribeca).

Good plan ^

Far west side really needs better service, especially with all the new construction.

The new 3 Line route should also have stops on Eleventh at 59th / 60th & 51st / 52nd and, farther downtown, a stop that links to the PATH at Christopher / Washington <> Hudson.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New3LineWestSide_01a.jpg 
Views:	400 
Size:	121.6 KB 
ID:	9395  

Thanks a lot man. I thought everyone was gonna think this was a stupid idea. And nice line layout..wanted to do something like that but didn't know how to do it. I agree with your additions though. The reason why I had so little stops was b/c I figured it would cut down costs if they did do it this way they could add new stops in later. I wonder if they'll ever construct a line above 42nd & 11th. I did hear that they want to extend the 7 to Chelsea Piers in the future.

The 3 Line re-route would be one option.

Another more comprehensive idea can be found on THIS PAGE, using light rail along the waterfront.

I never liked the idea of light rail. Wherever they use it, they tend to get negative interactions with street traffic.

I alway thought that underhanging monorails, that could lower themselves to street level, be a better idea. Most of the time they'd stay up and over traffic, they just come down at the drop off point.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    Good plan ^

Far west side really needs better service, especially with all the new construction.

The new 3 Line route should also have stops on Eleventh at 59th / 60th & 51st / 52nd and, farther downtown, a stop that links to the PATH at Christopher / Washington <> Hudson.

This is good. This is really, really good.

I can only imagine the engineering difficulties that would have to be overcome to construct a 3 Line along that route, considering that so much of the far west side is built on landfill and much of that area was formerly marshland with rivers & springs running through it.

Here's the route (in red) overlaid onto the 1865 Viele topographical map (showing the existing 1 / 3 line in blue), with the 72nd Street station / northern junction at right and the Franklin Street station / southern junction at left ...

Name:	Viele3Line_01a.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	122.2 KB 
ID:	9409  

^
    You could avoid that by running straight south from Broadway and 72nd St down Amsterdam and 10th Aves. Besides providing service to the far west side, you have to think about relieving overcrowding on other lines. The IRT 1,2,3 is packed. A line down 10th Ave.would accomplish both.

At 23rd St, I'd swing toward 9th Ave and 14th St, and run straight down 9th-Hudson to Chambers St.

One thing I wouldn't do is divert the #2 and #3 off Broadway. It's a major line from Brooklyn to the heart of Midtown.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    One thing I wouldn't do is divert the #2 and #3 off Broadway. It's a major line from Brooklyn to the heart of Midtown.
    No, it wouldn't be both of them. Just the 3. I figured that since there's already 2 lines there you could just divert one of them. I chose the 3 because I know the 2 also goes into the bronx. I would assume that the 2 is a more used line than the 3 is for that reason.
    Last edited by canadate; May 1st, 2010 at 11:29 PM.

The #3 in Brooklyn comes in from New Lots, further east than the #2.

lol. I see that but the 3 would still go there. The only thing is that if you were traveling to say, midtown on the 3 your last chance to transfer would to the 2 would be at Chambers. 2 service between Chambers and 72nd would have to be increased. Oh well, nothing to debate over though, it won't happen for a lot of reasons. I just hope they do something on the far west side.

^
    If an overall plan would involve passenger transfers to other lines, you might consider just starting the line at Broadway-72nd St, with transfers from the IRT. In that case, forget my idea of hooking up at Chambers-Hudson; just continue south to the WTC transit hub.

The transfer points between a new westside line and the existing lines are what would make a new line so practical and beneficial; the initial cost would be worth it in the long run (easy for me to say ). If it's not feasible to run a line south along Eleventh then here's an option (with full wish list) ...

From the north the new WNY Line would start at 72nd, with transfers to existing 1, 2 & 3 lines.

From there, the line runs south along Amsterdam / Tenth with a stop at Lincoln Center (run an east <> west underground corridor beneath 65th through to the Bway / / Lincoln Center / 66th Street stop).

Continue south to Tenth / 59th and on south to Tenth / 52nd, then meet up with the 7 extension at the new Tenth / 41st Street station, where transfers would be allowed.

Continue south along Tenth to 34th / Javits (transfers allowed, and also connected via pedestrian passageways to Penn Station <> Javits).

Continue south to a new station at 23rd (great for accessing new development in West Chelsea and the piers along the Hudson).

Then cut SE to Ninth / 14th / Greenwich, where a new station would be connected via pedestrian passageway to the L / Eighth Avenue lines (extension of the L to Ninth would be optimal; a station here would also be good for access to Pier 57 at the Hudson River to the west and development around the Meatpacking District).

Continue SE to Greenwich / Christopher, connected to the PATH station (great for access to the area of the far West Village and the soon-to-be rezoned South Village).

Then continue SE with stations at West Houston (great for access to Pier 40 and Hudson Square), Canal (serving Hudson Square & Tribeca North), then on to a new station at Greenwich / Chambers.

Finally have the line meet up with the new WTC Transportation Hub at Greenwich / Vesey, where passengers could access all the other lines that converge there, including the PATH line.

Handy Map attached of the new WNY Line (the line is shown in magenta, with transfers shown in lime green, but the offical color should be WNY blue-grey ) ...

Name:	WestsideSubway_02b.jpg 
Views:	318 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	9414  

haha. Makes a lot more sense don't know wish I would of thought about it. See what happens when you put multiple minds together?

Let's send it to the MTA.

Never mind.