Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Vehicle Security Center (VSC) at World Trade Center

Quote Originally Posted by HoveringCheesecake View Post

So, IrishInNYC. How much fun am I going to have when I spend a night at the World Center Hotel? (what a stupid name)
    Same question here! most likely staying there in 2-3 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by 325ccr View Post
    Same question here! most likely staying there in 2-3 weeks
    You may just miss the worst of it. There is a Secant rig drilling right at the corner, right on Cedar/Washington, I mean literally 10' from the hotel and it extends up to around the 5th floor. The noise from that can be deafening when they shake off the auger (we've measured it at 110db). They are allowed to work until 1am at this location and it will definitely go on until around the 22nd of the month. Concrete trucks will be pouring at night there too.

Blasting is only during the day, at latest 7pm and normally we don't get a shot off till 9am at the earliest.

So, great views of the site in general but a price to pay in the short term!

DANG. I won't be staying until July and I was hoping for a ton of noise.

Thanks for the reply, another quick question, how much deeper are you guys going in the VSC?

Thanks a lot!!

Quote Originally Posted by 325ccr View Post
    Thanks for the reply, another quick question, how much deeper are you guys going in the VSC?

Thanks a lot!!
    Right now, in Phase 1, the main area of the mechanical room is currently at approx 232' elevation (West St is approx 304' or so. The biggest slab area in the MER will be poured at 223' and the bottom of some elevator and sump pits will be 213'.

Similar depths will eventually be reached over in Phase 2 where the DB Building once stood.

So, rather than going up, we're going to be over 8 storeys down in places.

To whom should I toss a beer down to from the bar area of the hotel? This is a very important question.

It'll be exciting to see the work you guys have done. I gotta admit envy anyone who works on the site.

Quote Originally Posted by HoveringCheesecake View Post
    To whom should I toss a beer down to from the bar area of the hotel? This is a very important question.

It'll be exciting to see the work you guys have done. I gotta admit envy anyone who works on the site.
    With it being almost 100F the next couple of days...you're better off keeping the beer and watching from the bar!

More rock blasting was in preparation, this morning:

IrishInNYC, are you going to excavate any deeper where the Manitowoc rig sits, I was trying to figure out how you would walk it down from there or will it be taken apart and put back together in the deeper part of the site? Are you only going deeper where the excavators are or will the entire bathtub wall to wall be level at the end of the excavation?

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Schiano View Post
    IrishInNYC, are you going to excavate any deeper where the Manitowoc rig sits, I was trying to figure out how you would walk it down from there or will it be taken apart and put back together in the deeper part of the site? Are you only going deeper where the excavators are or will the entire bathtub wall to wall be level at the end of the excavation?
    One of two things will happen with the 888 Crane. It will either be dismantled around the 2nd week of July and brought out for storage until such time as it can be erected in Phase 2 (Former DB building area). Or, it will be tracked over to the north east corner of the site and work from there.

The steel erector is bringing in a monster 16000 crane in mid-July and it will need the area currently occupied by the 888.

In terms of depth, in Phase one the 888 is sitting pretty much at the subgrade level, meaning slab will be poured at that height. The deeper excavation is pretty clearly defined now by rock walls on the sides.

Over in Phase 2 there will be similar excavations. Main slab level approx 55' below street level with a deeper portion another 25' down.

The 16,000 is coming back?! Wow, I thought that that was the last time i'd hear of it! They must have taken it from 1WTC to get it refurbished.

Wow great to see the 16000 coming back, shes a big one! I bet it will be a tight fit there, will it have a luffer?

16000 size:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	154499_1744632576519_1259908432_1958246_499757_n.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	13299

Great info thanks for it all, looking forward to staying at the World Center Hotel to get some pics and vids of the site, espically that Komatsu 750 in the D-Bank site and the 330 and 345 loading

You mean I'm going to miss the 16000 by a week?! Damn! Tell them to bring it earlier, Irish.

If I'm not mistaken, the picture above was taken on West 65th St. The 16000 was there for the "LCT3" project but ended up doing nothing.

I worked on that job also. (For another contractor).

Not entirely sure of the make up for the 16000 yet...may have a luffer attached (some of the beams going in are in excess of 115,000lbs each).

And that's a Komatsu PC800 you see over there...we will start tearing down the demising wall this week, and the north wall in the hub area. There are shears for the 800 that will slice through W24x370 beams as the wall comes down!

Ae they using that to load stuff up top of the Vivien Beaumont Theater where the new performance spaces are going in over 65th Street?