Page 24 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread: Vehicle Security Center (VSC) at World Trade Center

http://archives.earthcam.com/archive...mpr/gzmpr2.jpg

This one shows the western part of it, though most construction activity going on there is below ground. Let's hope they readjust the KPI TV cam soon!

Thank you. The camera labeled "Elevated View" shows approximately the same area as the "Tower 4" camera used to show. Now if KPI would just straighten out The 7 WTC camera...

Edit to add: The KPI camera was re-aligned this afternoon (May 10). Well, sort of. I wish they would lower the elevation just a bit so more of the Tower 1 and Tower 2 sites were in view.
    Last edited by SidewalkSuper; May 10th, 2012 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Update on KPI camera alignment.

Here's a link to a couple of images... apologies I don't seem to be able to get the link to work...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7992759@N04/7224611948/in/photostream/

HUGE beam being delivered.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

So where exactly will be the (car) entrance to the VSC? And what will be inside the above-ground structure on the western part of the site?

@IrishInNYC: Do you have any info when they will start to connect the pedestrian bridge to the VSC?

Quote Originally Posted by windoof View Post
    So where exactly will be the (car) entrance to the VSC? And what will be inside the above-ground structure on the western part of the site?

@IrishInNYC: Do you have any info when they will start to connect the pedestrian bridge to the VSC?
    In the above picture the entrance will be pretty much the center of the big beam, off of Liberty St, where the 16000 crane is sitting. You then swing left and down the helix that can be seen in the upper left. Depending on where the trucks are going, you can access the lower levels to the west.

As for what's going inside the structures up top, to the west, hard to know given so many changes to structures late in the game. It's a plaza, it's a park...who knows.

Concrete poured on top, and taking shape down below along Liberty Street ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	120623_WTC_VSC1.jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	107.0 KB 
ID:	15747

really taking shape from the last time I saw it. Looking good.

I wonder if Cedar Street that will run south of the VSC will become as forbidding as Vesey Street used to be with the old WTC in place (the area where the "survivors' staircase" used to be located).

From the PANYNJ WTC Progress Report August 2012:

Building the Base for Liberty Park as the Vehicular Security Center Rises

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012_August_PANYNJ_VSC.jpg 
Views:	1650 
Size:	105.5 KB 
ID:	16075

The southwestern corner of the World Trade Center (WTC) site is a hive of activity as workers erect the steel framework of the below-grade Vehicular Security Center (VSC). When completed, the VSC will be just as busy, screening vehicles heading to WTC’s underground parking lots and loading docks. T he public, though, will likely only know the VSC as a place of quiet contemplation. That’s because Liberty Park, a 1.4-acre public park intended for community reflection, will be constructed on top of the VSC. Following the building’s roofline, Liberty Park will slope upward from Greenwich Street to connect pedestrians to the Liberty Street Bridge over West Street. In between the stairs and accessible ramps threading through the space, pedestrians will be able to linger on benches in the shade of flowering trees, stroll alongside 17,000 square feet of planting beds, and people-watch on amphitheater-style ledges overlooking the rest of the WTC site. The northern edge of Liberty Park will double as a 27-foot-high promenade overlooking the 9/11 Memorial Plaza.

Liberty Park will also be the new home of St. Nicholas Church, the Greek Orthodox house of worship that was crushed by the collapse of Tower Two on September 11, 2001. It is anticipated that the church and Liberty Pa rk would be constructed concurrently. The designs for the church and the park are not yet final, but are being refined through regular input from community stakeholders. The start date for construction of the park and church depends on when the VSC is completed. By mid-2015, however, residents and visitors should be able to see how the conceptual renderings of this new contemplative space have become reality.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    By mid-2015, however, residents and visitors should be able to see how the conceptual renderings of this new contemplative space have become reality.
    Boy is the timetable for construction loose at the WTC. From what I understand, the VSC is to be 100% operational so that T1 and T4 can open. Say mid-2013? So it's going to take another 2 full years to throw a park and a small church together? Really aggressive.

I know from my time at the VSC that the 16000 was supposed to be taken out this month, August. Let's see how that works out.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishInNYC View Post
    Boy is the timetable for construction loose at the WTC. From what I understand, the VSC is to be 100% operational so that T1 and T4 can open. Say mid-2013? So it's going to take another 2 full years to throw a park and a small church together? Really aggressive.

I know from my time at the VSC that the 16000 was supposed to be taken out this month, August. Let's see how that works out.
    Picking up on that general subject matter; permit me this mention of IPD - integrated project delivery. It is a method that 'I believe' is a big improvement over the traditional Design-Bid-build project delivery method.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop...KiJzT-bY&gl=US

I will post a link to some information on this post as soon as I locate something doing a google search....see ya laaateer.
    Last edited by infoshare; August 2nd, 2012 at 11:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishInNYC View Post

Well it does allow for completion of the PATH hall...it has been going pretty smoothly so far, so my guess is that some sort of temporary entrance will open soon.
    Last edited by BStyles; August 2nd, 2012 at 06:21 PM.

Once the underground structure is complete and connected to the rest of the WTC, it should not take long to
    get the VSC operational. The Park and church will be constructed on top most probably much later. In the meantime,
    Tower 3 looks like it wil be capped. They are removing the concrete casting forms from the central core.