Page 25 of 35 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Vehicle Security Center (VSC) at World Trade Center

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJoe View Post
    Once the underground structure is complete and connected to the rest of the WTC, it should not take long to.....
    Tower 3 looks like it wil be capped. They are removing the concrete casting forms from the central core.
    That is good to hear: the WTC area has been a construction site for what now seems like an eternity - let's wrap up what we have now and enjoy the park/ buildings.

I also like that we will all have a nice elevational view of that beautiful (but comparatively small) building for the transit hub. It's all good!

I hope Liberty Park has a design that allows for a seamless connection with the second or third story lobby of 5WTC.

Then LeCom will be right about Cedar St.

Quote Originally Posted by LeCom View Post
    I wonder if Cedar Street that will run south of the VSC will become as forbidding as Vesey Street used to be with the old WTC in place (the area where the "survivors' staircase" used to be located).

Hardly forbidding, Cedar street will probably be a friendly L-shaped corridor once all the 9/11 memorial stuff is relocated.

If they put a deck over it to connect with site 5?

A deck? Isn't the VSC itself shaped like an L, the end of which brushes up against site 5 directly?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LibertyPark_rendering.jpg 
Views:	800 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	16138

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	greek_wtc_01.jpg 
Views:	832 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	16137

Cedar street is​ going to suck it seems. Oh well. I guess it's also getting cut in half? I suppose it's only fitting that some street should be reconnected and others taken apart.

My understanding is that the VSC will slope down to street level along Cedar St (between Greenwich and Washington). Although closed to traffic, it would be open to pedestrians.

If the VSC will block it off completely, then it's a major failure.

Cedar St is not connecting to Washington St in any future plan. It will be reinstated for the stretch west of Washington with a security vehicle access point to the VSC on the corner of Washington/Cedar.

When you say not connected, do you mean as a traffic street? It was known a long time ago that the street would be demapped for traffic. But would pedestrians be blocked from crossing by the VSC wall?

Hmm, it's been a while since I've seen the drawings but you will be able to walk from Greenwich to Washington in this area from what I recall. The "park" for want of a better word will extend to the south forming a pedestrian plaza. What impact a future T5 might have though is an unknown.

I really hope the VSC is connected with 5WTC, for 5WTC's sake. It would hark back to the days of the Deutsche Bank Building, with its elevated plaza leading to its main lobby, which I thought was a magnificent work of architecture and urban planning since it separated the main entrance from the streets and provided great outdoor views. It would also mean 5WTC could be accessed "directly" from the south bridge if one was willing to walk through the park.

Although I am fairly sure the VSC is being built over the section of Cedar street between Washington and Greenwich streets, even if it isn't, 5WTC could simply be built further north and connect that way. According to the images I just posted, it will be possible for neither vehicles nor pedestrians to access Cedar between Washington and Greenwich because it will simply not exist anymore.

Thanks Irish. That's what I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatism415 View Post
    I really hope the VSC is connected with 5WTC, for 5WTC's sake. It would hark back to the days of the Deutsche Bank Building, with its elevated plaza leading to its main lobby, which I thought was a magnificent work of architecture and urban planning since it separated the main entrance from the streets and provided great outdoor views. It would also mean 5WTC could be accessed "directly" from the south bridge if one was willing to walk through the park.

Although I am fairly sure the VSC is being built over the section of Cedar street between Washington and Greenwich streets, even if it isn't, 5WTC could simply be built further north and connect that way. According to the images I just posted, it will be possible for neither vehicles nor pedestrians to access Cedar between Washington and Greenwich because it will simply not exist anymore.
    Cedar as a street won't exist but the VSC tops off at street level in this area. The south wall of the VSC is actually known as the T5 wall. If T5 ever happens, they will likely excavate on the south side of the VSC boundary wall for the basement levels. VSC and T5 directly abut each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatism415 View Post
    The DB site was generally considered to be a failure at street level, the main reason that the new site 5 is rotated and pushed back to line up with 90 West.

The Old DB site, along with the bridges across to the firehouse and the WTC plaza were part of a since discredited "second story plan" or "twenty foot plan" to build these raised plazas throughout lower Manhattan.

That's why the South Bridge from the WFC just ends in mid-air. It was intended to connect to a similar raised plaza for a tower in the old parking lot.