Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435 LastLast

Thread: Vehicle Security Center (VSC) at World Trade Center

Noticed today that many of the aluminum panels on the bridge are in rough shape, dings dents scratches and the sort, are those all original to 9/11?

Quote Originally Posted by JSsocal View Post
    Noticed today that many of the aluminum panels on the bridge are in rough shape, dings dents scratches and the sort, are those all original to 9/11?
    Crossing West St?

Damage occurred on 9/11.

I guess I had assumed originally they replaced all those panels as well when they replaced the glass.- Reminds me of 'the Sphere' just a little bit.

They'll probably renovate the bridge when they add the final segment to it and connect it to the VSC. Nifty how the bridge played a factor in its construction and seamlessly flows with the design.

When the pedestrian bridge over West Street is finally connected to the VSC, will there be a passenger elevator to enable disabled persons to access and exit Liberty Park from West Street?
    If so, where will it be located?
    If not, how does the owner of the bridge or the owner of the Park intend to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act?

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Talking

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	liter.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	17942

That's the elevator shaft built right there to the left (in the earth cam image) in the park...

^^^^ I guess I am having a hard time seeing any doors in that tower. Even that closeup that Zippy posted in #477 doesn't seem to show any. What am I missing?

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Roldan, how is the world treating you?

So 1, I had always assumed this would be an elevator, but now that I'm digging, all the plans show it as just a vent. In-fact ADA access will be provided by ramps from the east side of the site. 2.) World is treating me well. I've moved to Boulder, CO. It's really quite incredible here. I'll be here for a few years, but I suspect I'll get back to NYC somewhat regularly. I hear it's quite hot there right now.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

New York's loss and Boulder's gain, for sure.

Have a good time out there Rolly.

why thank you! I'll try to start a thread on stuff out here in the other forums. There's an incredible amount of construction here, but it's all only 3-5 stories. Boulder, as awesome as it is, needs to get it's crap together. They have strict height limits, largely do to hippy NIMBYs, but for every floor of 10 apartments not built here, there are absolutely 10 houses built beyond the greenbelt 25-30 miles away creating more car-dependent families. It's almost depressing to watch. The people fighting anything being taller are 100% parochial in their own way (they don't leave town), and they just don't see the utterly should crushing scrape-and-rape development happening just a dozen miles away all so they can keep everything around them 4 stories high. I don't think Boulder is in need of a ton of 60 story skyscrapers or anything, but even going to 6 stories on all these buildings would change everything.

I went to CU for a couple of years back in the ice age -- or, more appropriately, the stone age . At that time they were just finishing up a round of new campus buildings, all very well done. Hopefully the level has been maintained as CU has continued to grow. Updates of recent campus construction would be appreciated (if there's anything worth showing).

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    Here's a view of the bridge and the two pylons.

Street view

The one on the right is the original, and still carries the bridge load. Before 9/11, it was located in an island between northbound traffic and the left turn lanes onto Liberty St. West St has been shifted about three lanes, and the pylon is now near the curb.

The new one was built years ago, but you can see at top that it's not supporting the bridge yet.

The temporary bridge detour won't come down until the bridge is connected to the VSC.
    ...and therefore, the (original) pylon on the right will be the one that is demolished, since the VSC will support the remainder of the load? I hear that Liberty Park might open by the end of this year, which I'm assuming would apply to the bridge as well.