Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Vehicle Security Center (VSC) at World Trade Center

The Vehicle Security Center will most likely enter from The Deutsche Bank site, and there will be parking levels beneath 2, 3, and 4, 1 line box, under the PAC, but nowhere near 1WTC. They have already demolished the slurry wall in the southern portion of the site to make way for rebar work for the levels.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Parking buses under WTC has to be one of the worst ideas in recorded history.

Quote Originally Posted by stache View Post
    Parking buses under WTC has to be one of the worst ideas in recorded history.
    Agreed, put the bus parking in Liberty State Park near the Central Rail Road of New Jersey Terminal and ferry people over to the WFC.

Or keep the buses in Port Authority (where they belong) and have everybody take the E train to their final destination.

there use to be a colored schematic of the VSC and lower parking area on the WTC site.

This is from October 2008; it looks like the main subterranean VSC thoroughfare for buses & vehicles will run just to the east of the subway line:

World Trade Center Report: A Roadmap Forward [pdf]

INTRO (P. 4-5)

The efforts of the past three months have produced the following results, which are critical to getting this rebuilding program on track:

4. A series of agreements that will give the Port Authority greater control over delivery of the Vehicle Security Center, which will serve as a key access point to all of the commercial development on the WTC site.

These agreements include: settling a seven-year old land claim that delayed the VSC’s construction ; acquiring full control over the VSC’s design, procurement and construction based on the FTA’s tentative agreement, subject to your requesting such action, to reallocate federal funding from the VSC to the Hub, thus removing a layer of federal requirements off of the project; and a police and security agreement with the City of New York for the World Trade Center area that will give greater certainty over how the VSC will interact with the rest of the site’s security plan.

INTRO (P. 6)

Completion Dates:

Vehicle Security Center

Target Date: 1Q 2012
    Probabilistic Date: 3Q 2012
    Budget Estimate: $633 Million

SCHEDULES AND BUDGETS (P. 12 -13)

... The existing station must be rebuilt anyway because it sits on the northern end of where Greenwich Street will be built and is on the future site of the Performing Arts Center, as well as on one of the entrances to the Vehicle Security Center.

ISSUES RESOLVED (P. 19)

Vehicle Security Center

• Construction Sequencing and Funding of the Vehicular Security Center
    • St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church – Land Rights Claim
    • 130 Liberty Street Abatement and Demolition
    • World Trade Center Police and Security Plans

Construction Sequencing and Funding of the Vehicle Security Center (P. 32)

Context

The World Trade Center Vehicle Security Center and Tour Bus Parking Facility (VSC) will provide as part of the comprehensive WTC area police and security plan for screening of buses, trucks, and cars entering the WTC site and its facilities (see Graphic 18).

Graphic 18 (P. 66):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WTC_VSC_2008_18.jpg 
Views:	324 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	10820

cheesecake: Thanks for the diagram (you posted while I was putting together my post above) ...

Given the security required it's ridiculous to go to all this expense and trouble to accommodate busses underground.

Every bus will have to be checked as they enter the parking area. And then it seems each individual passenger will have to be thoroughly searched when they want to get back on board the bus (just in case). This will be like the worst airport screening imaginable. The time wasted in travel will be huge.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    cheesecake: Thanks for the diagram (you posted while I was putting together my post above) ...

Given the security required it's ridiculous to go to all this expense and trouble to accommodate busses underground.

Every bus will have to be checked as they enter the parking area. And then it seems each individual passenger will have to be thoroughly searched when they want to get back on board the bus (just in case). This will be like the worst airport screening imaginable. The time wasted in travel will be huge.
    Ya you betcha! (sorry, that's my North Dakotan coming through) The more diagrams and information the merrier, I think. Your post was quite informative.

As far as I'm concerned, the bus idea should be scrapped. A tourist/anyone can simply hop on the subway and arrive at or near the site. Why not have them walk through the grand oculus on the way to the memorial instead of shipping them in on a cruddy bus? Hmmmm?

Honestly, Aunt Tillie might have to sit next to a person of color/imagined gang member for three minutes on the train which could mar her Ground Zero Experience. Catering to the b&t mentality in this situation is insane.

Quote Originally Posted by stache View Post
    Honestly, Aunt Tillie might have to sit next to a person of color/imagined gang member for three minutes on the train which could mar her Ground Zero Experience. Catering to the b&t mentality in this situation is insane.
    Speaking from experience with my ND family members, this is true. My father loves NYC, but is scared by the subway.

I just don't get it. Never will.

nice job,, i was thinking of the pg 66 graphic 18 that Lofter1 posted.. yours is informative too.

i think ultimately most people will come in via the PATH trains with the VSC largely used by building deliveries.

i'd much rather emerge from teh PATH hall than that subterreanean level 10 security situation.

Catering to fears of outsiders by allowing a segregated and sheltered entry into downtown is stupidity. If folks want to come and experience NYC, and understand where and who we are -- and very possibly begin to really comprehend why some felt the need to destroy us -- then those visitors should rub up against the agglomeration [ ] that is NYC.

The entire WTC parking garage can only fit about 80 buses, which will not accommodate the thousands of tourists arriving there every day. They said they will use the Red Bull Arena's parking lot in Harrison, NJ, which has more than enough parking space, and then tourists can take a $1.75 trip on the PATH into the WTC. No screening required.

Besides, the sublevels of Silverstein's towers are made of reinforced concrete and steel, and with the bases of the towers having so much retail it would make sense to have the parking garage connected to the mall, as all malls do.

Even without buses, there still would be a VSC for truck access to all the sub-level loading docks.

Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast